Stephen King

Michelle

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm ashamed to say I didn't finish Under The Dome. I think I will buy the paperback version, just because my hardback is a beast and weighs a tonne. Not very easy to sit and get comfy with!

I think I read about half, but was it just me, or were there too many characters? Maybe I just wasn't concentrating enough, but I found it quite difficult to remember who was who. Definitely not a book you can just pick up and read a couple of pages of in my opinion.

I loved The Stand by Stephen King, and the next book on my to read list is Cell, which I bought in Waterstones yesterday. Seems like it got mixed reviews, especially on Amazon, but I'm looking forward to checking it out.

I've always loved Stephen King - Needful things was the first 'grown up' book I read, and although I struggled with it ( I was young!) I loved it! I think his very scary ones are great but my favorites are definitely the more ....I'm not sure how to phrase it, supernatural rather than horror I guess

Insomnia is one of my favorite books of all time - even though I know alot of King fans were extremely dissapointed.

Lisey's story had me hooked from beginning to end, I loved the characters and Boo'ya moon! :) But again I know alot of people have disliked that one too!

I thought desperation was brilliant but I hated the filmed (tv - I'm not sure what it was) version - I thought it took all the niceness out of the story - like the god related stuff!

And I loved Cujo - though I cried for the poor dog!!!

Haha anyway I guess I love them all - just thought I'd stick up for insomnia and liseys story!!!

xx

• 2 weeks later...

If King has a weakness it's his endings, some of his best work has such underdeveloped finishes, very frustrating but he is all about the journey of course, which I can get.

I didn't really connect with Dome at all and I love King. I didn't feel involved in the characters, setting, plot or anything, it was strange for me. Big Jim is a fun character though, that is about the only thing I cared for throughout. The plot had so much more scope for exploration than what he showed so I was really annoyed and it's such a massive book too.

I've read the old manuscript aka The Cannibals which later became Dome, it's an interesting springboard.

Edited by Rawr

• 2 weeks later...

There is a Major problem with Stephen King, He is a great writer and I would be first to hold my hands up and say I've enjoyed quite a few of his books, BUT! his endings tend to be slightly disapointing.

He still has a great imagination and some of his characters are of Charles Dickens quality.

• 6 months later...

Ok, so I can't believe I haven't posted in this topic yet as I am a massive fan of Stephen King.

My first introduction to him was when I was 8 years old and IT was on television. I had watched the second half at a friends house and then saw that my Mum had recorded it and begged her to delete it as it was so scary... of course she didn't and the next day me and my friends watched it and I kept running out of the room as Tim Curry terrified me :smile2:

Anyways... a few years later I was at a car boot sale and I saw the book and brought it for about 50p - bargain! I was only about 10 at the time so didn't really understand it and gave up fairley quickly but it did become my first King book and it freaked me out.

After that I pretty much devoured any King book I came across, although there are still some older ones that I am yet to read but have on my TBR list.

My favourites would be Christine, IT, The Dark Half, The Stand, Needful Things and The Dark Tower series. The only one I haven't enjoyed as much so far is Hearts in Atlantis but I haven't read a lot of his more recent stuff.

One thing I love about Stephen King is the rewards you get for being more than just a casual reader - I love that he makes references to other works in his books, a few of his books mention a rabid St Bernard and then you have the Salem's Lot/IT/Dark Tower/Insomnia/Eyes of the Dragon/The Stand crossover (I think there are a few other books that could be a part of that too). I also adore his style of writing which I think can be a bit like marmite, some people just can't get into it.

The endings of his books can leave you feeling disappointed but you can still see why he has chosen to end his books the way he does despite you wanting it to end in a certain manner - The Dark Tower series is a prime example of this.

Anyway, that's my Stephen King essay done :D

... I love him!

I just finished Dreamcatcher on Wednesday, it was my first King book - always had a block about the genre I suppose, but I am determined to widen my scope this year.

Anyway, the book - fantastic story - had me hooked and spent all last weekend ploughing through it.

I am still running things through my mind. Was Mr Gray actually in charge of Jonesy or did he actually die in Hole in the Wall. Was Jonesy actually really holed out in a small section of his own mind, or did he just think he was, after Mr G died in HITW. Did Duddits set this up just to see his old mates one more time ?

Just ordered three more used paperbacks from Amazon for the Hols - think I am now a fan :D

Edited by JohnL

I still love all his books. I agree that his older stuff is in a different class and I didn't like how Cell ended. The dark tower series was great but I felt cheated with the last book although some people loved the ending. I have heard rumours there will be another dark series book but nothing substansiated yet, I would love to read another of those.

Loved the green mile, IT, The Shining, Carrie, to be honest most of the old ones and certainly still enjoyed the new ones

And how could I forget I have Under the dome on my tbr pile :D

I have heard rumours there will be another dark series book but nothing substansiated yet, I would love to read another of those.

Check SK official website - out 2012

I havn't enjoyed every SK novel that I have read, but I have liked the majority. My favorites are: The shining, Dream catcher, Needful things and Salem's lot. I also really enjoyed Duma Key, Under the Dome and The Dark half. I like the ones that are proper horror novels, I guess.

I'm on holiday this week, so finally getting round to tackling Under The Dome. I haven't been getting as much reading as usual done this year, so the length was putting me off, but I'm about 100 pages in now and getting back into that SK groove! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would suggest The Stand (the uncut version), simply because it's a fantastic book and also is one of his most popular. Don't be intimidated by the size; it's about 1400 pages I think, but so brilliantly written that it is definitely not a slog to get through. :)