The Malazan Book of The Fallen by Steven Erikson

Wish listing the first bad boy as we speak lol

Hurrah! :D

I like your user name .. taken from Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy I presume :D now those books I could get along with and understand.

Glad you're still enjoying the Malazan Book of the Fallen series Karsa :)

It's all done - I'm bereft now, waiting for the next obsession, making do with Game of Thrones on tv for the moment :lol:

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like your user name .. taken from Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy I presume :D now those books I could get along with and understand.

Glad you're still enjoying the Malazan Book of the Fallen series Karsa :)

Ty poppy :wink:

I'll let you wonderful people know what I think of Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

Ty poppy :wink:

I'll let you wonderful people know what I think of Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

Please do - I'll go and hide in case you don't like it :lol:

I almost chose Glokta for my username - almost ...

Please do - I'll go and hide in case you don't like it :lol:

I almost chose Glokta for my username - almost ...

Will do :giggle2:

Glokta would of been cool, but I like your username now :wink:

I have just finished the last argument of kings - AWSOME!!

Glokta would of been cool, but I like your username now :wink:

Cheers :D

Hopefully you'll get far enough into the Malazan series to actually meet Karsa himself :lol:

Non-spoilery excerpt, which I quite liked, from a review of The Crippled God over on blogcritics.org:

"Yet, in spite of the grand sweep of events that he created, the crooked paths the story has sometimes walked down, it has been the characters who have been the glue holding it all together. From the ones we've loved to hate, Kallor the high king, to the ones we've loved — Fiddler, Hedge, Whiskeyjack, Kalam, Quick Ben, Toc the Younger, Onas T'oolan, Kruppe, Crokus, Apsalar, Karsa Orlong, Ganoes and Tavore Paran, the humans, the undead, the gods and even a couple of dogs — they are the ones who gave the series the flavour that made it so special. They were a celebration of all that was good and bad in humanity, proving over and over again how situations can bring the best and worst out in everybody. Now here, at the end of their story, we are given a chance to celebrate all that they were and what they meant to the books.

I realize I've not talked much about what actually happens in The Crippled God, but to do that would give too much away to those who have been eagerly awaiting this concluding volume and mean nothing at all to those unfamiliar with the previous nine books. If you belong to the latter group I envy you still having all ten books to look forward to. For those who are in the former all I can say is you won't be disappointed. It will not only live up to your expectations, it will exceed them. The Malazan Book Of The Fallen is an extraordinary work of epic fiction and this final instalment is not only a fitting conclusion to what's come before, it takes the series to an even higher level than you would have thought possible. Fantasy and science fiction are often thought the poor cousins of so called serious novels, but I defy anyone to think that after reading this series."

The full review is here, but does contain some spoilers:

http://blogcritics.org/books/article/book-review-the-crippled-god-by/page-3/

• 7 months later...

Ian Cameron Esslemont's fourth Malazan Empire novel has appeared a couple of days early in hardback. It's called Orb Sceptre Throne, and takes place largely in the aftermath of Steven Erikson's magnificent Toll the Hounds.

http://www.amazon.co...26801236&sr=1-1

I've only just got ICE's third Malazan novel, Stonewielder, in paperback and there's another one out already? Sheesh! :giggle2:

And in other news ...

Erikson's own first part of his Kharkanas Trilogy, called Forge of Darkness, is scheduled for an August 2012 release.

:woohoo:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

For all you Erikson fans out there, don't forget that Anomander Rake is currently in the Suvudu Cage Match.

He is currently up against Moiraine Damodred from the Wheel of Time series. Whoever wins this battle goes into the Final. Last year, Quick Ben won the entire Cage Match and hopefully Anomander Rake can pull it off again this year.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, as well as Mallorean, Song of Ice and Fire, Banned and the Banished, Shannara Trilogy... and that's just the fantasy stuff.

No bad ones there although, apart from 'A Song of Ice and Fire', they're all fairly standard fantasy fare. The Malazan series is totally different from all of them. It's pretty unique in its feel and approach to the genre. Since finishing it I've really struggled to find fantasy books to match up to it, even George Martin's :smile:

Try this: http://www.sfsite.com/05a/ma343.htm

No bad ones there although, apart from 'A Song of Ice and Fire', they're all fairly standard fantasy fare. The Malazan series is totally different from all of them. It's pretty unique in its feel and approach to the genre. Since finishing it I've really struggled to find fantasy books to match up to it, even George Martin's :smile:

Try this: http://www.sfsite.com/05a/ma343.htm

He certainly makes it sound really interesting! Will definitely check it out

• 1 month later...

Only a few weeks now until the first book of the Kharkanas Trilogy is released (31st July).

ForgeofDarknessnew.jpg

Now is the time to tell the story of an ancient realm, a tragic tale that sets the stage for all the tales yet to come and all those already told...

It's a conflicted time in Kurald Galain, the realm of Darkness, where Mother Dark reigns. But this ancient land was once home to many a power. and even death is not quite eternal. The commoners' great hero, Vatha Urusander, is being promoted by his followers to take Mother Dark's hand in marriage, but her Consort, Lord Draconus, stands in the way of such ambitions. The impending clash sends fissures throughout the realm, and as the rumors of civil war burn through the masses, an ancient power emerges from the long dead seas. Caught in the middle of it all are the First Sons of Darkness, Anomander, Andarist, and Silchas Ruin of the Purake Hold...

Steven Erikson entered the pantheon of great fantasy writers with his debut Gardens of the Moon. Now he returns with the first novel in a trilogy that takes place millennia before the events of the Malazan Book of the Fallen and introduces readers to Kurald Galain, the warren of Darkness. It is the epic story of a realm whose fate plays a crucial role in shaping the world of the Malazan Empire.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Forge-Darkness-The-Kharkanas-Trilogy/dp/0593062175/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0

If anyone's looking for me, I'll be over here getting excited :D

The Forge of Darkness sounds awesome. I have the first of the Malazan books on my Kindle, but have yet to read it. Do you think I could start with this one before reading the Malazan books? I would think it is OK seeing as it is set before the Malazan Empire.

The Forge of Darkness sounds awesome. I have the first of the Malazan books on my Kindle, but have yet to read it. Do you think I could start with this one before reading the Malazan books? I would think it is OK seeing as it is set before the Malazan Empire.

Yeah, it's a prequel of sorts. I would hope that it wouldn't rely on your foreknowledge of the characters (because some of them do feature in the main series, and the events it's about are mentioned in the main series, too) but obviously I can't say that for sure. I think it would be a mistake if he didn't make it accessible for readers new to his world, though :smile:

Yeah, it's a prequel of sorts. I would hope that it wouldn't rely on your foreknowledge of the characters (because some of them do feature in the main series, and the events it's about are mentioned in the main series, too) but obviously I can't say that for sure. I think it would be a mistake if he didn't make it accessible for readers new to his world, though :smile:

Thanks a lot Karsa. Pre-ordered on my Kindle today :exc:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...