The Malazan Book of The Fallen by Steven Erikson

This is the first thread I've started on here - I feel like I'm dangling my foot over a vast abyss ... :motz:

Anyway, bear with me, cos this is going to take some explaining, and there's nothing like beginning with an author whose work, I know, divides readers :motz:

Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of The Fallen is a sequence of ten novels set in a fantasy world created by himself and his friend, Ian Cameron Esslemont, and sees the Malazan Empire waging campaigns on three very different continents. The world, its various races, gods and history etc were all created as part of a role-playing game in the early 80s, and the pair subsequently developed a film script based on it, which Erikson later turned into the first novel of his series, Gardens of The Moon. Here's Amazon's blurb for it:

Bled dry by interminable warfare, infighting and bloody confrontations with Lord Anomander Rake and his Tiste Andii, the vast, sprawling Malazan empire simmers with discontent. Even its imperial legions yearn for some respite. For Sergeant Whiskeyjack and his Bridgeburners and for Tattersail, sole surviving sorceress of the Second Legion, the aftermath of the siege of Pale should have been a time to mourn the dead. But Darujhistan, last of the Free Cities of Genabackis, still holds out - and Empress Lasseen's ambition knows no bounds. However, it seems the empire is not alone in this great game. Sinister forces gather as the gods themselves prepare to play their hand ... Conceived and written on an epic scale, Gardens of the Moon is a breathtaking achievement - a novel in which grand design, a dark and complex mythology, wild and wayward magic and a host of enduring characters combine with thrilling, powerful storytelling to resounding effect. Acclaimed by writers, critics and readers alike, here is the opening chapter in what has been hailed a landmark of epic fantasy: the awesome 'The Malazan Book of the Fallen'.
The Malazan world is a very complex one. For me at least, the sense of place, and of witnessing only a small part of its vast history, lends the writing a depth and richness that I have rarely encountered in other fantasy works. There are no orcs, dwarves, elves or any other recognisable genre standards (apart from dragons - and even they have a different slant to them). Each race is new and unique, and their enemies and allegiances have grown over thousands of years. He tells his story from the viewpoint of the grunts, the lowly soldiers whose futures are being decided by leaders thousands of leagues away. There is sorcery, but it is portrayed in a manner unlike any other I have read. Oh, and there are gods and ascendants, all of whom have their own agendas and don't mind interfering and manipulating when it suits their needs. There are three major storylines, each of which is dealt with separately over the course of the first five novels before being brought together in the sixth.

Here's the crunch: Erikson's middle name might as well be 'Marmite' because I don't believe there's any middle-ground to be found - you either love him or hate him. He does not hand anything to the reader on a plate. Gardens of The Moon throws you right into the centre of things, with everything already in motion, and asks you to either sink or swim. He hints at huge, earth-shattering events, which everyone seems to know about except you. He tosses out throwaway comments which only become important five, six, seven books down the line. I have found that this series benefits from re-reading like no other. In fact, there are so many revelatory "oh that's what that was all about" moments that at least one re-read is almost essential.

As he says in his brilliant preface to Gardens of The Moon:

"I quickly discovered that 'back story' was going to be a problem no matter how far back I went. And I realised that, unless I spoon-fed my potential readers (something I refused to do, having railed often enough at writers of fantasy epics treating us readers as if we were idiots), unless I 'simplified', unless I slipped down the well-worn tracks of what's gone before, I was going to leave readers floundering [...] Better, I think, to offer readers a quick decision on this series - right there in the first third of the first novel, than to tease them on for five or six books before they turn away in disgust, disinterest or whatever."

Personally, I'm really glad he went the way he did.

These are the novels, in order:

Gardens of The Moon

Deadhouse Gates

Memories of Ice

House of Chains

Midnight Tides

The Bonehunters

Reaper's Gale

Toll The Hounds

Dust of Dreams

The Crippled God (to be released 2010)

Anyway, forgive my waffling - these books hold a special place for me. I realise I'll probably be talking to myself, but hopefully there are some other fans here, or maybe this thread will spark some interest from people who haven't heard of/considered these books before.

I should probably also mention that Erikson's cohort, Ian C Esslemont, is writing his own interlinked series - Malazan Empire - and that Erikson has published four novellas set in the same world, and has signed up to write two further trilogies.

For anyone interested, you can read the beginning of Gardens of The Moon here:

http://www.amazon.com/Gardens-Moon-Malazan-Book-Fallen/dp/0765322889/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271860658&sr=8-1#reader_0765322889

And now that I've driven myself mad over this post for over an hour I think I need to go and lie down :P

Edited by Karsa Orlong

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gardens of The Moon throws you right into the centre of things, with everything already in motion, and asks you to either sink or swim. He hints at huge, earth-shattering events, which everyone seems to know about except you.

My first foray into the series was when I found House of Chains in a charity shop many years ago. I bought it and read most of it even though I knew it was several books into a series. I remember something about a horse called Havok, blood oil(?), wooden swords that were actually quite epic, and a group of weird humanoid things that were somehow linked to giant carvings of dogs. Lol. But what I also remember is that what I read I enjoyed, even though I didn't understand a lot of what was going on! I ended up giving that book back to a charity shop once when I was having a clear out, and forgot all about the series.

So anyway, I was reminded of the series several times last year and I finally started reading Gardens of the Moon a few weeks ago. But I found it difficult to get into. I don't like to be spoon fed, but Erikson seems to go to the other extreme (doesn't help that I like to read fast, but with this there was so much going on all at once I had to slow down considerably). I certainly wasn't swimming, but I wasn't quite sinking either. More like wading neck-deep through molasses. However, your post has reminded me that actually its the kind of series I usually enjoy. So I will try again. I'm not sure when though, as I have about 10 books here with bookmarks in, and a stupid amount on my TBR list *blushes*.

And now that I've driven myself mad over this post for over an hour I think I need to go and lie down :D

*hand you a glass of (insert preferred beverage here)*

This is a great post! If I hadn't already heard of the series I'd definitely try it after reading this. As it is you've got me picking GotM back up to give it another go :D

Yay, a reply :D

So anyway, I was reminded of the series several times last year and I finally started reading Gardens of the Moon a few weeks ago. But I found it difficult to get into. I don't like to be spoon fed, but Erikson seems to go to the other extreme (doesn't help that I like to read fast, but with this there was so much going on all at once I had to slow down considerably). I certainly wasn't swimming, but I wasn't quite sinking either. More like wading neck-deep through molasses.

Yes, and I think that's what puts a lot of people off. Funny thing is, I didn't find it that way (although there was probably a lot of frowning going on when I first read it!), perhaps because I'd read a lot of comments about it and was expecting it to be far worse. I think - and this is just a personal opinion - that maybe it's best not to try and understand everything the first time around. It was only when I read the following books that things started to become clear, particularly stuff like the warrens and how they work/what they are. I re-read it a few months ago, having only just finished Dust of Dreams, and raced through it. It was almost like reading a different book, with all the knowledge I had gained since.

GoTM was written several years before the rest of the series. He had an awful job trying to get it published and ended up coming to the UK to get it done. As a result there are some stylistic differences between it and the rest of the series, and there are some ideas he puts forward in it that have never been mentioned again. It doesn't make it any less of a book, but forewarned is forearmed etc etc.

My first foray into the series was when I found House of Chains in a charity shop many years ago. I bought it and read most of it even though I knew it was several books into a series. I remember something about a horse called Havok, blood oil(?), wooden swords that were actually quite epic

Good memory! So you've met my namesake, then :) Havok, the blood oil, the wooden sword etc all belong to Karsa Orlong :D As it goes, if you were to dive into the series halfway through, House of Chains isn't quite so bad, because the first 300 pages or so are all about Karsa and his history, and it doesn't tie into the ongoing story until after that point. Once it gets him up to the 'present', though, it links in with Deadhouse Gates so I'd imagine it can be a bit bewildering.

However, your post has reminded me that actually its the kind of series I usually enjoy. So I will try again. I'm not sure when though, as I have about 10 books here with bookmarks in, and a stupid amount on my TBR list *blushes*.

My work here is done :D

*hand you a glass of (insert preferred beverage here)*

This is a great post! If I hadn't already heard of the series I'd definitely try it after reading this. As it is you've got me picking GotM back up to give it another go :D

Thanks - for the drink (I needed it!) and the kind words. And if you feel like coming back to this thread and discussing GoTM when you get around to reading it, please do! :)

I've only had one 'Steven Erikson Book of the Fallen' experience and it wasn't a good one.

My OH bought me 'Gardens of the Moon' and to be honest, I hardly understood one word in ten .. leastways I understood the words but I didn't understand the plotline. I've just got the book down off the shelf .. and I can see from the bookmark that I gave up on Page 137 (and I rarely ever abandon a book).

I don't read a lot of fantasy .. Pratchett and Gaiman is about as far as I go but this felt like a whole different ballgame, like everything just got serious.

I keep telling my OH to read it (seeing as he bought it), to see if he has any more luck with it than I did.

I think I was punching above my weight ... it's definitely for hardcore fantasy fans.

You're not the only one to have felt that way, which gives credence to his quote I used in the first post.

It's definitely fantasy aimed at an adult audience and is a lot harder hitting as a result. Having said that, it is very funny in places, especially as the series progresses.

At least you gave it a try! :irked:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I really dont know what it is that has kept me going up to Book 6 of the Malazan series, at times i have not got the foggiest what Erikson is talking about but there is just enough there to keep me coming back for more.

I have never known a series of books to contain so many characters, races, etc lol

Confusing rubbish - a tad harsh, lol, although no doubt some have found it that way. Never thought it myself, though. On the first read through there were a lot of 'wtf' moments but I was happy to know that everything would be explained sooner or later. I've read up to book nine and am re-reading them gradually and, going back, all those 'wtf' moments have become revelations. :friends0:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

• 1 month later...

So, he's finished it, then. From his Facebook page:

"GASP! That would be me, coming up for air. How long was I down there? About twenty years, from conception to completion. The Malazan Book of the Fallen is done. Sure, editing and all that crap to follow. But ... done. I don't know who I am. Who am I again? What planet is this? Three months of butterflies ... maybe this double whiskey will fix that. Hmm. No. Delayed reaction going on here."

Yay! Roll on January :D

• 3 weeks later...

Have started Gardens of the Moon as based on your review this does sound like a series I would enjoy.

Agree with the comment about not quite sinking and not quite swimming.

I'm about a quarter into the book and so far have fallen asleep about 7 times while reading it. It's not that I'm not enjoying it, it's just so confusing that when I wake up 2 hours later, book on chest, I have to reread the last couple of pages again to catch up.

Anyway, am plugging on.

• 1 month later...

It's nearly here ...

On February 21st 2011 my favourite fantasy series reaches its conclusion ...

TheCrippledGodcoverart2.jpg

Savaged by the K'Chain Nah'Ruk, the Bonehunters march for Kolanse, where waits an unknown fate. Tormented by questions, the army totters on the edge of mutiny, but Adjunct Tavore will not relent. One final act remains, if it is in her power, if she can hold her army together, if the shaky allegiances she has forged can survive all that is to come. A woman with no gifts of magic, deemed plain, unprepossessing, displaying nothing to instill loyalty or confidence, Tavore Paran of House Paran means to challenge the gods -- if her own troops don't kill her first.

122 days to go :woohoo:

Which means I've got 122 days to finish my re-read of the first nine books :lol:

• 3 months later...

Nine days to go :boogie:

Which means I have nine days to re-read three 1,200+ page books :thud: Not gonna happen, is it? :lol:

Might wait for a Kindle version anyway - I think the hardback might be a wrist-breaker :lol:

I read a spoiler-free review the other day which said:

"Although George R. R. Martin, Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson, and other SFF authors will have something to say on the matter before everything is said and done, as things stand Steven Erikson's magnum opus, The Malazan Book of the Fallen, sits in pole position as the very best and most ambitious epic fantasy saga ever written. And believe you me: It won't be easy to dethrone."

And there's also a re-read blog ongoing on the Tor Books website. One of the people taking part is new to the series and said of Gardens of the Moon:

"I started the novel with confusion and no little frustration as people I didn’t know had conversations I didn’t understand. But then gradually my understanding expanded, my desire to know more about the world grew and I immersed myself more fully in GotM. By the time the big finale came, I was a little bit in love with virtually all the characters, and I definitely don’t want to get off this ride!"

:)

Edited by Karsa Orlong

• 4 weeks later...

Finished re-reading the first nine books (phew! - I confess that I skimmed much of the penultimate one, Dust of Dreams, cos it's a lot of talk and not much action ... ) and am now halfway through the finale, The Crippled God. I must admit that I was worried. Erikson thanks his long-time editor at the start. Perhaps he would have been better served by an editor who was strong enough to tell him to 'GET ON WITH IT!!' :giggle2: As with Dust of Dreams, the start was very s-l-o-w, with lots more talk between characters I care little about (most of whom have been brought in to replace wonderful characters he either killed or sidelined earlier in the series :rolleyes: ).

But now, at last, it's all kicking off, old favourite characters are returning after being absent for several books, and I can feel the tension building towards the big climax. Erikson proves, yet again, that when he's on form there are none better. Bring it on :cool:

That's it, then. 11,000 pages on from where it began, I've finally turned the last page of The Crippled God and finished Erikson's epic tale. I'm gutted that it's over but relieved that it's finished, if that makes sense. The ending was truly magnificent :cool:

I'll take some time to absorb everything that happened in those final pages before posting any more thoughts.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wish listing the first bad boy as we speak lol

I like your user name .. taken from Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy I presume :D now those books I could get along with and understand.

Glad you're still enjoying the Malazan Book of the Fallen series Karsa :)