Favourite memories?

Michelle

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Tale of Two Bad Mice by Beatrix Potter was always (& remains to this day) one of my favourites. My Dad got me a tiny little hardback copy of this book when I was just a tot & I still have it now. Hunka Munka (the mouse) is my favourite Potter character, ranking even above Mrs Tiggywinkle! The pictures in that book are absolutely magical. I took a ceramics class when I was a teenager & actually painted Hunka Munka straight frmo the book. Managed to sell her for a fair bit too! It's the first book I remember being delighted about.

Reading The Worst Witch books every year in the car as we travelled to a family friend's farm down in the west country. I remember the first time, I read one each way, the second time I read all 3 of them on the way down. Had to buy something new to come back with. Then for the next 4 years or so I would read the three of them on the journey!

I also remember being read Danny, the Champion of the World in class and being terrified of Danny being caught!

There was a book being read to my class when I was 8 which was about some children who went under the sea, under the waves, which were called white horses, and lived and had an adventure in a world there. I was ill and missed the last episode, and never found out what happened. I can't even remember the name of the book or the author, but for 37 years I have wanted to know the end!

Debbie

I remember some books about children n a school bus who went under the sea for adventures. I think it was a diff one to yours though..

I think they might have been the Magic School Bus books - there was one where they went into the Human Body as well that I can remember really clearly!

I loved the 'Magic Woodland series' series by Beverly Nichols - sadly they are out of print now, but I still have my original copies - the only books from my childhood that I kept.

I also loved Enid Blyton, especially the Mallory Towers and St Clares series, not to mention 'The Land of Far Beyond' which was a child's version of A Pilgrim's Progress, if I remember correctly.

I also loved E Nesbit's books.

• 1 month later...

Sorry - joined this a bit late in the day. But my favourites were Enid Blyton (like everyone else), The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Graeme and the Chalet School series - Elinor Brent Dyer. My all time favourite was A traveller in Time by Alison Uttley. I still have quite a few of my childhood books, and there is one about a pixie which I used to love. Oh and Winnie the Pooh of course. The list is endless.

The children under the sea rings bells for me too, although I wonder if I am mixing it up with the Charles Kingsley book...(the name escapes me) which had a similar theme.

Gone on a bit haven't I? Sorry.

Susanna :)

The Water Babies? I couldn't get into that (as an adult), might of liked it as a child though!

I used to read the Worst Witch too, loved those books! I never really got into Enid Blyton or anything like that. I loved Winnie the pooh and Beatrix Potter. My all time favourite books were 'Chilly Billy' about a little guy who lives in the fridge and 'the Karate Princess' (self explanatory!! - such a high brow reader I was!!

Did you ever read Susan Digby's Trebizon series? They were great

I loved Trebizon but hardly anyone has heard of them.

My booky memory is from when I was about six. I'd been really ill when we were away on holiday, so my mum bought me The Borrowers to cheer me up. Sadly I was so ill I just couldn't be bothered reading.

When I got better I tried to read it, but it just reminded me of being sick.

I've never managed to read it.

I loved being whisked away in the Famous Five & Secret Seven adventures....wanted to be in them.:)

Also discovered Little House on the Prarie books when I got one at Christmas one year.....always thought it would be a great series on the telly and was delighted when it happened (if a bit goody goody now when you watch it).

i loved (at various ages):

- mallory towers/secret seven/faraway tree etc by the bylton

- the bobbsey twins

- rupert

- george orwell's animal farm

- nancy drew

- alfred hitchcock presents

- pan horror books

- agatha christie (i was about ten when i started to read these so guess they count)

but there was a series of books i loved as a kid and would love to read them again. thing is, i can't remember the author or the name of the books. so help please.

books were about a group of kids (siblings and cousins i think) who would go and stay with a great-uncle over the summer holidays and have 'adventures'. he was a retired sea captain (i remember thinking of captain birdseye type characters) and i'm sure the family were called the 'cherries/cherrys'

anyone?