Ruth's reading in 2010

Ruth

Well, I definitely enjoyed The Equivoque Principle. It's a lot of fun, a mystery/adventure story set in 1850s London. The author has very kindly sent me the next book in the series for free, so I'm looking forward to reading that.

Before that though, I'm rereading Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. I last read this over 20 years ago (!) and I started it again this afternoon. I have a feeling I'm going to fall in love with it all over again.:smile2:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Little Women - loved it, probably even more than I did when I first read it years ago.:blush:

My next book is going to be The Eleventh Plague, by Darren Craske. I read the first book in the series very recently and enjoyed it, so I have high hopes for this being another great read:)

• 3 weeks later...

Finished The Eleventh Plague and also read Like Bees to Honey by Caroline Smailes. Both were great - I will definitely be getting hold of everything else Caroline Smailes has written.

Now reading Totally Unexpected Tales by Roald Dahl. It's something I can dip in and out of, so I might read something else alongside it.

• 4 weeks later...

Read Carnevale by M.R. Lovric - historical fact and fiction set in Venice. An enjoyable read, if perhaps a little overlong.

Also read The Ballroom on Magnolia Street, by Sharon Owens, although I almost wish I hadn't bothered. Cliched characters, unbelievable storylines and unrealistic dialogue. Unfortunately, not an author I will be seeking out again any time soon.

Now about to start e squared, by Matt Beaumonth, and also still reading the odd short story from Roald Dahl's Totally Unexpected Tales.

Just finished The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfeld. Interesting murder mystery, although I felt that it was necessary for the reader to invest in Freud's theories, which I find difficult to do. Well written though, and some great descriptions of New York City in the early 1900s.

About to start If I Stay, by Gayle Forman:)

Hi Ruth ~

You've got some really great stuff here .....I've enjoyed looking through your fantastic library. :)

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day has been on my TBR list for a little while now ...did you like it?

Hi NovaLee - sorry for not responding sooner, but I only just saw your post. Thanks for your comment about my library:)

I really did enjoy Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day - very heartwarming and amusing, and I would definitely recommend it.

Finished Dracula - and unfortunately I really didn't enjoy it. I thought the characters were wafer thin and the whole plot just didn't work for me. I'm disappointed, because I was sure I would love it.

Next up is Second Hand Heart, by Catherine Ryan Hyde:)

Finished reading Second Hand Heart, by Catherine Ryan Hyde. Very quick read and nice writing, but one of the main characters was intensely irritating, and I HATED the ending!!

Next up is The Birthing House, by Christopher Ransom:)

Just finished The Birthing House, by Christopher Ransom - without doubt one of the very worst books I have ever read. Definitely NOT recommended.:(

Next up is A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. I hope it's a vast improvement on The Birthing House!!!

Just finished The Birthing House, by Christopher Ransom - without doubt one of the very worst books I have ever read. Definitely NOT recommended.:(

Next up is A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. I hope it's a vast improvement on The Birthing House!!!

I loved A Fine Balance when I read it a few years ago. It was one of my favourite books of the year, so I hope you enjoy it, Ruth. :D

I wasn't amazingly keen on Dracula, as it happens. But I have really enjoyed both The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova and Vladd by C C Humphreys. The first is a well researched story which leans towards the myth of Dracula the vampire, whereas the latter is about the 15th Century count from Wallachia Vladd Tepes whom, through his actions, became the legend upon whom Dracula is based. Both truly excellent books. Just ask Noll. smile.gif

Hey Ruth ~

Thanks for the no-beating-around-the-bush tip on "The Birthing House" ..... think I'll just pass it by next time I come across it. Did you actually stick with it till the end? Good for you if you did ....now that's a hard core reader. :)

I'm curious as to what your reaction will be on "A Fine Balance." I just finished it a couple of weeks ago and thought it was excellent ...it will go down as one of my favorite books of all time! Certainly not a feel good book, by any stretch of the imagination but I grew so attached to the characters and could not put the book down ....kept thinking; "I wonder what they're up to now?" I find you have to read so many books to find that one that just grabs you ....and this one grabbed me. It haunted me too ....I still think about the characters and what Mistry did to them. Enjoy ....

Hey Ruth ~

Thanks for the no-beating-around-the-bush tip on "The Birthing House" ..... think I'll just pass it by next time I come across it. Did you actually stick with it till the end? Good for you if you did ....now that's a hard core reader. :)

I did finish it, but only because I can never give up on a book once I've started it. I've read a lot of reviews of it since I read it, and about 90% of them felt the same way as me. But a few people loved it.

I loved A Fine Balance when I read it a few years ago. It was one of my favourite books of the year, so I hope you enjoy it, Ruth. :D

I wasn't amazingly keen on Dracula, as it happens. But I have really enjoyed both The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova and Vladd by C C Humphreys. The first is a well researched story which leans towards the myth of Dracula the vampire, whereas the latter is about the 15th Century count from Wallachia Vladd Tepes whom, through his actions, became the legend upon whom Dracula is based. Both truly excellent books. Just ask Noll. smile.gif

'A Fine Balance' is on my TBR pile. My OH has read it and really enjoyed it, and now hearing that Chesilbeach enjoyed it ~ yippee! I look forward to reading what you think of it too Ruth. :)

Hey Ruth ~

I'm curious as to what your reaction will be on "A Fine Balance." I just finished it a couple of weeks ago and thought it was excellent ...it will go down as one of my favorite books of all time! Certainly not a feel good book, by any stretch of the imagination but I grew so attached to the characters and could not put the book down ....kept thinking; "I wonder what they're up to now?" I find you have to read so many books to find that one that just grabs you ....and this one grabbed me. It haunted me too ....I still think about the characters and what Mistry did to them. Enjoy ....

Hi Mac. I read The Historian a few years ago. I found it a good read and kept my copy as I had a feeling I might want to read it again one day.

As for A Fine Balance - I LOVED it! It was so beautiful, sad and just a fantastic read. Definitely one of my favourites so far this year. I'm going to highly highly recommend it to everyone!

As for A Fine Balance - I LOVED it! It was so beautiful, sad and just a fantastic read. Definitely one of my favourites so far this year. I'm going to highly highly recommend it to everyone!

Well, you have made me move that up the TBR mountain! That's so good to hear. :)