Eric Emmanuel Schmitt - Oscar and the Lady in Pink

Sugar

As I have mentioned this in a few other places, I thought I ought to post a review.

Although short (at just under 90 pages) this is an incredibly moving novel.

Oscar is 10 years old and is in hospital where he has been receiving treatment for cancer. One of the "Ladies in Pink", women who visit the children in the hospital, recommends that Oscar lives 10 years in each of the next 12 days (until the end of the year) and writes to God at the end of each day to tell Him what he has learnt. Oscar's relationship with Granny Rose (as he calls this "Lady in Pink"), his family and fellow patients develop throughout the book.

Schmitt writes with a huge amount of sensitivity and it is easy to believe that he is 10 years old.

Despite the sad subject, there are many moments of beauty and humour, and I was amazed to find myself laughing aloud on more than one occassion.

I first heard about this from "The Bookseller", where it was described as a real tear-jerker. I won't say I went quite that far, but I could understand how it might affect some people in that way.

If you are trying to cope with serious or terminal illness, there are many uplifting moments that could really help. This could almost be seen as a self-help guide.

• 3 weeks later...

I have got this book on my RISI list and was so pleased to see your review because everyone I know had never heard of it!

I thought it was a lovely book and I read it in a few hours. I think your review is spot on. You would imagine the subject matter to make this book very depressing but it is actually quite uplifting.

Although it was sad in parts, like you say it wasn't a total tear-jerker, which I think is a good thing because it could easily have ended up being over-sentimental.

• 2 weeks later...

I am equally impressed that there is someone else out there who has read it! No-one else I have mentioned it to has heard of it, and even if they seem keen when I talk about it, none of them have gone as far to actually read it I don't think!

And thank you for your lovely comments about my review! :oops: