Are you the 'main reader' in your house?

Michelle

When I was living at home with my mum, we both liked reading. That meant that we could share books, and then chat about them if they were any good.

My husband, however, has never read a book in his life (well, I suppose apart from school) - he always says he'll watch a film, but can't be bothered with the book! :D

So are you in a house full of readers, or are you the only one?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We both love books, but Catherine's eyes are not so good since she had IIH and so she can't read for so long now so I think I probably read more than her. Alwyn hardly ever reads a book, and if he does he reads those ones with loads of silly facts. He has a short attention span! :D

Deb

I share a place with a few other folks, and I'm the only reader. But even I go through phases where I don't read very often. I'm sort of going through that right now.

I'd say on average, I read between 6 and 10 books a year. That's not a lot, but considering I don't even know any other readers offline, I feel like a book junkie in comparison to everyone else I associate with.

This year, I've been slacking. I've only read 4 books, and I couldn't even get all the way through one; and it was short!

We both love books, but Catherine's eyes are not so good since she had IIH and so she can't read for so long now so I think I probably read more than her...... :D

Deb

Know that feeling. Used to be the major reader. Would almost inhale books. :coffee:

Now I spend days getting through chapters because my eyes and brain can't cope with things as they could a few years back. Drives me to distraction at times. :vmad:

Also do audio-books when IIH isn't too bad. Not as frustrating because I can just sit back and listen and it blocks all the other sounds out (not so taxing on the brain, as it doesn't have to filter other noise out).

Miss being able to just do it, y'know. :sadwalk:

As the 50+ members of my stuffed animal menagerie cannot read, I am the only reader in my ickle flat.

When I lived at home, it was my Dad and I who did all the reading and we have very similar tastes (I stole his Stephen King collection when I left home!). Neither of us can sleep without reading for at least an hour before bed. I'd hazard a guess that I read more than him now, because I deliberately get the bus to and from work rather than the tube, so I can spend an extra 2 hours reading a day.

Jo xx

Next time you have a bad day at work, think of this guy........

Rob is a commercial saturation diver for Global Divers in Mayo (IRELAND). He

performs underwater repairs on offshore drilling rigs. Below is an email he

sent to his sister. She then sent it to RnaG (Irish radio station) in Galway,

who was sponsoring a worst job experience contest. Needless to say, she won.

Hi Sue,

Just another note from your bottom-dwelling brother. Last week I had a bad day

at the office. I know you've been feeling down lately at work, so thought I

would share my dilemma with you to make you realize it's not so bad after all.

Before I can tell you what happened to me, I first must bore you with a few

technicalities of my job. As you know, my office lies at the bottom of the sea.

I wear a suit to the office. It's a wet suit. This time of year the water is

quite cool. So what we do to keep warm is this: We have a diesel powered

industrial water heater. This

Definately the main reader in my house, although DH reads a lot too. He just reads slower than I do, and has a bad habit of falling asleep as soon as he gets still enough to read! I generally go thru 3-5 books a month, at least, so I'm constantly looking for new things to read. My son, though, really enjoys it...He's read all 6 of the Harry Potter books all the way thru on his own, which is a pretty big achievement for a 10 yr old!

• 2 weeks later...

When I lived with my parents, there was both my mother & myself who weer heavily into bokos. She benig older & having her own money would buy most of the books, though I was able to read them too. As I got older, our tastes began to differ wildly - she likes Catherine Cookson, whereas I always hated those books, & I loved Terry Pratchett whereas she can't get her head round the fact that ther are no chapters. We both always loved a good horror though.

Now, there's just me & my hubby at home & he doesn't read at all. I try to encourage him (he expresed an interest in having the Lord of the Rings trilogy as he read them when he was a kid, but they've lain, untouched, ever since I brought them home - I don't like Tolkien, you see). Every other book in our flat is mine & there are literally thousands of them:

I have a six foot tall by four foot wide bookcase as well as a 4 foot high by 3 foot wide bookcase crammed with books. I also have 6 large boxes in my spare room cupboard. There aer also at least a dozen more boxes of a similar size in my dad's loft. To finish off, i have a small set of 3 shelves under my computer desk which houses my "to be read" books. All newly aquired boks get put here till I manage to read them, then they get moved to the other shelves.

It's a whole lotta reading, but someone's gotta do it - LOL!

• 4 months later...
When I was living at home with my mum, we both liked reading. That meant that we could share books, and then chat about them if they were any good.

My husband, however, has never read a book in his life (well, I suppose apart from school) - he always says he'll watch a film, but can't be bothered with the book! :D

So are you in a house full of readers, or are you the only one?

I am the main reader here, but am trying to get my son into the habit. Does your other half/live in friend/family share your love of books?

Sounds like my husband!! He hardly ever looks at a book. But praise where it is due - it has taken him since Christmas to read Bigger than Hitler , Better than Christ

I am by far the main reader in this house, although my daughter is trying to take this title!

Guest Anonymous

I'm the main reader!

Kez has never read in all the years we've been together.

I on the other hand am buying books left, right and centre!

Yay!

:D

My family were all avid readers, dad encouraged us from an early age. My husband didn't read much at first but he's more into it now. I was definitely the main reader but my daughter's overtaken me now!

I did manage to get my husband to read a couple of John Grisham books and he admitted they were 'ok' but I think he finds all fiction the work of the 'la la fairies'.

He prefers to read factual books, reference books, computer programming information books *yawns*