The Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes! I've read this book and it's brilliant! I was so impressed with it that I was going to write a review, but of course I never got round to it. :)

You're right, it is fast paced and I didn't want to put it down either. I think I read it in two nights. :blush: I think there are a few fans of it on here, and I try to recommend it when I can. I could mention again that it's got recommendations by both Stephen King and Stephanie Meyer on the cover!

That's good news about the second book coming out so soon.

Ah thats good to hear! I was worried it was a book that missed most people's radars so I'm glad to hear that. I think I read it in a few days and was so absorbed in the story! It was such a great concept and I'm eager to see what direction it takes next.

• 3 months later...

I finished the second book, Catching Fire, a few days ago, and it was equally as good as the first. :motz: I can't wait for the last one now - hope the wait isn't too long.

These books really are among the best young adult books I've read for a long time. I can't recommend them enough. I may yet do a review, but I'm anxious about doing them justice.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins ~ Started: 22.12.09 ~ Finished: 25.12.09

Synopsis ~

Katniss Everdeen is a survivor. She has to be; she's representing her District, number 12, in the 74th Hunger Games in the Capitol, the heart of Panem, a new land that rose from the ruins of a post-apocalyptic North America. To punish citizens for an early rebellion, the rulers require each district to provide one girl and one boy, 24 in all, to fight like gladiators in a futuristic arena. The event is broadcast like reality TV, and the winner returns with wealth for his or her district.

‘The Hunger Games’ tells the story of Katniss Everdeen born and raised in District 12, formerly a coal-mining area of the Appalachians, North America is now known as Panem following several devastating disasters, and there are now 12 districts under the control of the Capitol, all of the districts are poor and all children aged between 12 and 18 are forced to participate in The Hunger Games, punishment for the uprising of the districts in the past, there are no excuses, if you are chosen, you must participate in The Hunger Games.

The story begins with Katniss hunting illegally outside of the fences of the Seam, part of District 12 where Katniss lives with her widowed mother and younger sister, Prim (short for Primrose) with her friend, Gale, both Gale and Katniss’s families depend on them, to survive they must hunt, they must make deals, they do what they can, because of her responsibilities, Katniss is a mature 16 year old.

It’s the day of the reaping, the day when one boy and one girl are chosen for The Hunger Games, to Katniss’s horror, Prim is chosen to participate, ironically the first year she is part of the reaping, Katniss steps up and requests to go into Prim’s place, the rules allow this, and now Katniss and Peeta (the son of the local baker) are going to the Hunger Games, where they have to fight to the death, their survival is for population’s entertainment and Katniss’s ultimate goal is to win and her and family to live on the benefits.

If you enjoy the dystopia genre (like I do), you will enjoy ‘The Hunger Games’, the premise is not original (it will remind you of ‘Battle Royale’) but the story is brilliantly written, two strong characters who are fighting to survive whilst at the same time retaining their humanity. I enjoyed how the story explored everything about the games, games which have children kill each other to win an endless supply of food and how the games were used for entertainment value, a reality television with a brutality, no one is voted out of the Hunger Games.

There was also a sinister edge to ‘The Hunter Games’ especially about the Capitol, the creators of the games which as the story progresses, Katniss and Peeta are more than aware of, they play the game but they don’t like it.

A young adult book for adults, an excellent read and I am looking forward to the second book of the trilogy.

bookcover-1.jpg

Another great review, Gyre. I bought both books recently and can't wait to start them in the new year. I've only heard great things about them. :friends0:

Thanks Kylie, I am looking foward to reading your reviews :(

• 2 weeks later...

Title of book: The Hunger Games~Catching Fire

Name of author: Suzanne Collins

ISBN-10: 1407109367

ISBN-13: 978-1407109367

Number of pages: 480 pages

bookcover-3.jpg

Synopsis ~

After winning the brutal Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen returns to her district, hoping for a peaceful future. But Katniss starts to hear rumours of a deadly rebellion against the Capitol. A rebellion that she and Peeta have helped to create. As Katniss and Peeta are forced to visit the districts on the Capitol's

‘The Hunger Games~Catching Fire’ is the sequel to ‘The Hunger Games’ and the second book in the trilogy, the third book in the series is due for release (as stated on amazon.co.uk) on the 24 Aug 2010 and on the basis of books one and two, I cannot wait for the third book.

‘Catching Fire’ begins after the events of ‘The Hunger Games’, Katniss and Peeta barely survived the games, and because of their final act to end the games, they are now under close surveillance from the Capitol and the terrifying President Snow.

Life has become easier for Katniss, her Mother and sister, Prim, they are enjoying the benefits of winning the games whilst helping families who live in the Seam which is part of District 12, one of the poorest districts in Panem. As victors Katniss and Peeta visit all of the districts, facing the families of the children who died in the games, which is difficult for both of them, during their visit at District 11, Katniss sense a change, people are starting to fight back against the Capitol.

‘Catching Fire’ is as good as ‘The Hunter Games’, if not, better, you know the characters and you know what they have went through, you feel their pain, their frustration, their sadness as they become pawns again in The Hunger Games.

Initially the story was slow but excellent, building up the tension, you did not know what would happen next but you want Katniss and Peeta to exceed, keeping each other safe and their families and friends to be safe.

You see how cruel the Capitol can be in their pursuit of entertainment.

An excellent read for adults and young adults like, the story is brilliantly done.

Rating: 10/10

Great review, Weave! If the third one is coming out in August, I might try to time my reading of the first two so I don't have to wait too long to read the third book. :lol:

Thanks Kylie :blush: that sounds like a plan because you will hopefully want to continue reading and have all of the books at the ready:lol:

• 2 months later...

It may have elements in common with Battle Royale, but Stephen King wrote The Running Man (which the book also shares plot points and themes with) waaay back in the eighties. There's also The Long Walk - tho not entirely the same, it has a certain tone and general mood which The Hunger Games evokes.

I've never seen Battle Royale, but from what I understand that's just about the game itself(?). The Hunger Games is much more than that - it's about a dystopian society and

rumblings of an uprising against it

. (Spoilered just in case.)

I've never seen Battle Royale, but from what I understand that's just about the game itself(?). The Hunger Games is much more than that - it's about a dystopian society and

rumblings of an uprising against it

. (Spoilered just in case.)

All right :lol: My friend just read the blurb and thought the game was the whole deal.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read it and I would agree with Mia. There is alot more to it than the Blurb. I thought it was a fantastic book with some real great little pieces that were, for me totally different. If you can get it Frankie I would :smile2:

I have read it and I would agree with Mia. There is alot more to it than the Blurb. I thought it was a fantastic book with some real great little pieces that were, for me totally different. If you can get it Frankie I would ;)

I'm beginning to be really intrigued by this, I guess I need to try and get it somewhere :smile2:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Has anyone read these amazing books? There are two so far:

Hunger Games

Catching Fire

And there's a third on the way entitled Mockingjay.

They came out around the time of the Twilight books and got surpassed which is so unfortunate because they are extremely well written. They are young adult novels but honestly, I found them to be amazing and I am not a teenager. So that is the reason I asked about them in this section because they are sci-fi as well. I've been dying to discuss them, but no one I know has read through them :roll:

Let me know

Thanks, Peace, and Love

Edited by Michelle
merged