The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon

Kell

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed Dog FAR more than Bother - it's a much better novel in every way (imo). I gave Dog10/10, whereas Bother only got 7/10 from me.

I just finished this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. There were a few laughs, but overall it was sadder than I expected. I've been wanting to learn more about Aspergers for some time, and this book provided some great insights.

I loved the character of Chris and really felt for both him and his father. A top read and recommended to anyone who hasn't read it (I don't think there are many BCF members left who haven't read it!) :D

And, as I suspected, I enjoyed it much more than A Spot of Bother.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this book about two years ago and a friend asked to borrow it before i'd had a chance to read it. I stupidly let them, and they lost it. I've been thinking about buying it again but every time i do i feel really insensed at the idea of buying it a second time. I'm sure it's one of those books thats absolutley worth it. And the way it is written seems right up my street, with an unusual approach.

I mainly bought it because i found out the story was written in the first-person perspective by a boy with Austism/Asbergers Syndrome. I have an interest in this as i have a family member with the latter.

I bought this book about two years ago and a friend asked to borrow it before i'd had a chance to read it. I stupidly let them, and they lost it. I've been thinking about buying it again but every time i do i feel really insensed at the idea of buying it a second time.

Your "friend" who lost it should have immediately replaced it! How rude of them not to do so!

I couldn't get into this book - it felt too forced. Might give it another go at some point but as someone who knows people with Aspergers, (who are admittedly mostly high-functioning) I still thought it was too forced.

• 2 months later...

i really relatye to this book - I was diagnosed dome years back with a very mild form AS, so the way christopher acts i can readily empathise with. a point not to be forgetten is AS covers a range , I'm lucky as its mild e,g I dont interact well socilaly , prefer my own company. i didnt feel it was forced, buthen thats my experience

"The Curious Incindent of the Dog in the Night-time" is an amazing book. Normally, I am so sceptical about authors I've never heard about and I'm not a fan of modern Literature at all but this one is really cool. A friend of mine tried to blurb this book but I kept on ignoring it till I heard the title. I find it so attractive :D. But I haven

I read this book a few years ago...my 21 year old son has Aspergers like the character in the book so I guess I could relate to the book better...having said that my partner read a chapter and put it down.......

• 2 years later...

Hi Bella - there's actually already a thread on this book here: http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/415-the-curious-incident-of-the-dog-in-the-night-time-by-mark-haddon. I have to admit, I only managed to get about 20 pages in before giving up as it wasn't for me, however, I did read another book by the author which I really enjoyed. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Found this thread!

Just wanted to add to the discussion.

I read this book a couple of years ago - without knowing about Asperger Syndrome or the popularity of the book - and Christopher's narration had me involved from almost the first page.

The clinical thoughts, the unsaid implications, and his curious mind were endearing in a heartbreaking way.

Definitely one of the books I will re-read over the years.

I'm surprised that many youngsters enjoy this book - I'm not sure I had the emotional or intelligence quotient to do so before I was, say, at least twenty.

• 4 months later...

Read this book a few years ago. Oh my goodness, I loved it! Would recommend it to everyone! Really opened my eyes and was such a powerful story. Have to admit I did cry! But I tend to cry at a lot of books.

I read this book when I was in Year 7, so I was about 11/12 then. I loved it back then, read it a few years back after reading A Spot Of Bother (also by Mark Haddon and a book I love) and it's still good. Really interesting to see how his narrative techniques have developed over the years, too. As I just mentioned I read A Spot Of Bother which has a completely different feel to it, and I'm currently reading The Red House, which is also very different with an extremely different writing style.

Like after reading A Spot Of Bother I'll probably end up reading Curious Incident again. It's just so re-readable...

• 2 years later...

I read The Curious Incident of the Dog and the Night-Time as a 13 year as part of me English Lit syllabus. The book left quite an impression on me at the time. Lately I have been pondering on rereading some of the books that I read during my years of English Lit. in high school to see if my opinion/perspective on the books in question has changed.

A conversation in a thread on this board about The Catcher in the Rye had me wondering about how much our opinion of a story is influenced by factors such as age and-or life experience. Will my initial opinion of The Curious Incident of the Dog and the Night-Time hold up with a subsequent read as a 24 year old?