Terry Pratchett

Michelle

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mort is amazing, its thte second Terry Pratchett book I've read because I never really got into them, I do love it and its kinda bordering on my fave pratchett book. Actually I lie because I read johnny and the bomb and halfway through only you can save mankind first but yeah

I love we free men and need to read hat full of sky :D

• 2 weeks later...
I've searched the forum a couple of times, and I might have missed it. But is there a link anyone cares to share with all that lists ALL Discworld series books in order?

If there's one thing I must do is starting a series from the first book on :-)

From fantasticfiction.co.uk

Discworld

1. The Colour of Magic (1983)

2. The Light Fantastic (1986)

3. Equal Rites (1987)

4. Mort (1987)

5. Sourcery (1988)

6. Wyrd Sisters (1988)

7. Pyramids (1989)

8. Guards! Guards! (1989)

9. Eric (1990)

10. Moving Pictures (1990)

11. Reaper Man (1991)

12. Witches Abroad (1991)

13. Small Gods (1992)

14. Lords and Ladies (1992)

15. Men at Arms (1993)

16. Soul Music (1994)

17. Interesting Times (1994)

18. Maskerade (1995)

19. Feet of Clay (1996)

20. Hogfather (1996)

21. Jingo (1997)

22. The Last Continent (1998)

23. Carpe Jugulum (1998)

24. The Fifth Elephant (1999)

25. The Truth (2000)

26. Thief of Time (2001)

27. Night Watch (2002)

28. Monstrous Regiment (2003)

29. Going Postal (2004)

30. Thud! (2005)

31. Making Money (2007)

32. The Unseen Academicals (2009)

I have just finished Moving Pictures:

moving-pictures.jpg?w=180

Synopsis from Google Books:

Discworld's pesky alchemists are up to their old tricks again. This time, they've discovered how to get gold from silver -- the silver screen that is. Hearing the siren call of Holy Wood is one Victor Tugelbend, a would-be wizard turned extra. He can't sing, he can't dance, but he can handle a sword (sort of), and now he wants to be a star. So does Theda Withel, an ambitious ing

Brilliant! Who wouldn't want to live in Treacle Mine Road?!

I'd love to live there, I love that name. ;) Excellent! :)

Edit: Actually, I'm going to change my location for a while in honour of the whole thing. There we are...

Edited by Mia

reaper-man.jpg

Synopsis from Amazon:

DEATH IS MISSING - PRESUMED...ER...GONE.

Which leads to the kind of chaos you always get when an important public service is withdrawn.

Meanwhile, on a little farm far, far away, a tall dark stranger is turning out to be really good with a scythe. There's a harvest to be gathered in...

This is book 11 of Terry Pratchett's Discworld Series. The main character is Death. He retires. The Grey Shadows have come and told him his time is u, so he sets off to the Discworld with his horse Binky. He gets a job as a reaper man on a farm, and goes by the name of Bill Door. He works hard, makes friends by being excellent at being awful and plots a way to fight the new Death. Meanwhile, in Ankh-Morpor, there is too much life force around, bringing items to life, and preventing the dead for moving on. This causes mayhem, an attack of trollies, and wizards going mad.

I found this book to be a little bit like the first in the series, The Colour of Magic - enjoyable, but with maybe a little bit too much going on. With so many characters I sometimes struggled to remember who was who, what they doing, and why. That said, there were areas of the book that just had me laughing out loud. Pratchett's humour is well captured in this book, as is his sense of imagination, I just found there to be too much taking place.

My favourite Discworld character, right from the start, has been Death. He is great with the one-liners, sarcasm and irony. The other character I really enjoyed in this book was the university's Dean. I laughed so much when he started going around like a gangster, and how his catch-phrase became "Yo!". I found myself almost crying with laughter at him.

Overall, I enjoyed this book even though there were times when I was unsure as to what was going on. The comedy in the book made up for any complaints I have. Worth reading if you like Pratchett.

7/10

I've read a couple of Pratchett's books. I tried to read them by order but I just couldn't. I read them in order til Equal Rites but then couldn't find Mort so I just gave up. I don't know who's my favourite character yet, I've only read books with Rincewind and Moist as the main characters, so I dunno. Rincewind is certainly a bundle of laughs :irked: I love his luggage, it's awesome. :lol:

Though I find Terry unvariably funny, I don't find all of his books necessarily re-readable; that's why I give some away after reading them. Titles I've kept (i.e. those that do possess something extra that makes me know I'll read them again at some point) include "Soul Music" (I love Death... especially a rock'n'rolling librarian thrown in for good measure), "Masquerade", "Carpe Jugulum" (the witches are brilliant... especially when they take on "Phantom of the Opera", or posh vampires) and most importantly, "Wyrd Sisters": witches, narrative theory, Shakespearean parody - who could ask for more?! That, and "Good Omens" with Neil Gaiman are IMHO his best works, by far.

(although admittedly, I'm being far from having read every single "Discworld" ever. For example I was really enjoying "Going Postal", which got stolen, and "The Truth", which got lost...)

I didn't know people STOLE books. That's just...weird.

In the thief's defence, "Going Postal" was at the time stored within a bag containing money, documents, beauty products and a notebook of deeply personal, if slightly emo, poetry.

To be honest though, my battered second-hand copy of "Going Postal" (I really should invest in another one really, as I was enjoying it immensely) can't have been that valuable; while who knows, one day my unpublished juvenilia (the 30-odd poems in that notebook have no electronic equivalent, alas) might fetch the thief a fortune...!

I didn't know people STOLE books. That's just...weird.

Doesn't Terry Pratchett have the record for the author having the most books stolen from public libraries in the UK or something? :irked:

^Does he?! I never knew that! That's very interesting indeed...

I'm reading Going Postal right now, and I have to say, its hard getting through the last 50 pages. His writing was beginning to bore me, for some reason. He just rambles on a lot about stuff, I don't know. Hopefully I'll get to finish it soon...

Doesn't Terry Pratchett have the record for the author having the most books stolen from public libraries in the UK or something? ;)

^Does he?! I never knew that! That's very interesting indeed...

There's certainly an old anecdote that runs along the lines of a bookshop being broken into and all that was missing was TWO copies of each of Pratchett's books - LOL!

Good news: my copy of "The Truth" wasn't lost after all; it was simply in a second row on my bookshelf at home - thank God for the Easter holidays!! Been ages since I read the first half though so I'll probably have to start it from the beginning again. Yay, and meh.

;) That was it, just two Terry Pratchett books? That's just BRILLIANT. Wonder which books they were.

Two of EACH of the books - they took the whole collection twice over!

I've just finished reading The Wee Free Men, and am about to start A Hat Full Of Sky. I love them!

I've read both previously, but couldn't decide what my next read should be from my ever towering pile, so I decided to not choose and read an old favourite! ;)