I need a book :D

Natty

Hi,

At the moment I'm really struggling to get into any books. I have a list of books I want to read but none that really whisk me away so I'm kinda first chapter in on a lot of things.

I'd quite like to read something in a similar vane to Patrick Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind; like it's gonna be epic but it's not all words I can't even begin to pronounce.

Really trying to read Terry Brooks Word and the Void trilogy but alas, the prologue put me off...

Thanks xx

For something that feels epic but is written in beautifully uncomplicated language, I'd suggest Keith Miller's "The Book of Flying". It's a shortish standalone volume, but so full of poetry and it made me a better person just to read it, I think. It's the story of a young librarian's quest for wings so that he may win the love of a winged girl, and of the people he meets and the stories he learns of his journey. Not the happiest of tales, but well worth your time and tears.

:lol: That's quite alright, glad to be of service. I should perhaps add that not all of it is lovely, in fact I'd go so far as to say there were bits I bitterly wished hadn't happened - then again I think that is a testament to Miller's skill in creating character for me to care for so deeply. I hope it affects you as much as it did me.

Hey Natty,

Another epic which is written in a language we can understand is Tad Williams "Otherland" (4 volumes). I'm assuming that you're interested in a Horror / Supernatural / Fantasy / Sci-Fi book based on your post here. Well, this is kind of a combination of Fantasy and Sci-Fi.

Thanks for the recommendation. I actually have those books on a CD for my e-book reader. My boyfriend got me a load of random ones so I had something to read on it. However, the ones I didn't know have kinda been kicked to the wayside a little. I'll be popping it on shortly in the hope my reading block ends soon!!

x

listen I found getting into any kind of reading difficult. My concentration levels were not what you need to read a book but then I picked up a book my brother read and told me many great things of a while back. It's the WHEEL OF TIME. Its an absolute fascinating book. I have to admit that when I first started reading it I was just reading it a few pages here and there then one night it came alive and from then on I haven't been able to put it down. It's basically a Lord of the Rings fantasy epi but its alot more complexed with many more characters and plots. I highly recommend it if you like books of that nature. Didn't think I would but now I know :):)

For epic fantasy with language any body can understand I suggest David Eddings Belgariad. No book is longer than five hundred and thirty pages I think, and it is full of humour, grand scope, evil dark lords beautiful sorceress' and princesses ... Dryads show up as do wise and noble Gods.

And one very, very sulky teen!

If you like Star Wars or Harry Potter you should try these as they are better than Harry Potter and more thought provoking.

If the thought of five books puts you off - he has also written a stand-alone epic called The Redemption of Althalus. It would be good actually to start with that as you get a good idea of his style and characterization.

Personally I rate David Eddings as he doesn't over complicate issues, he is funny, witty and yet can be serious and atmospheric. He has to be my favourite adult fantasy writer ever!