Patricia Cornwell's Scarpetta - the movies!

Chrissy

According to web based digitalspy.co.uk

Angelina Jolie and Fox 2000 are teaming up for an adaptation of Patricia Cornwell's Scarpetta novels.

The studio, which recently acquired the rights to the bestselling books, is developing the project as a starring vehicle for Jolie and hopes to develop it into a long-running franchise.

According to Variety, the first movie will not be tied specifically to a plot from any of Cornwell's 16 mystery titles. Instead, Jolie's opera-loving medical examiner Scarpetta will be involved in a suspense thriller "in the vein of The Silence Of The Lambs or Se7en".

The deal between Fox and Cornwell was apparently agreed after Jolie met with the author and they discovered "common ground" on how the adaptation should work.

Columbia previously attempted to sign a deal for the series with Demi Moore attached as the lead, but the project never got off the ground.

Maybe it's me, but I just do not see Angelina Jolie as Kay Scarpetta, although Patricia Cornwell apparently does.

The deal between Fox and Cornwell was apparently agreed after Jolie met with the author and they discovered "common ground" on how the adaptation should work.

"You give me a big sack of cash and you can play who the hell you like . . ."

A woeful piece of miscasting there.

(Brad Pitt is going to have to "chunk-up" a bit if he wants to play Marino).

She wouldn't have been my choice either even though I do like her, I'm kinda getting used to the idea though :roll:

I'm not getting used to it, I think she spoils the whole thing. I got excited when I read the thread title and was shocked to see Angelina Jolie was going to play Kay Scarpetta. It's like Tom Hanks playing Robert Langdon in The Da Vinci Code but the opposite way: sexing a character up and making her younger than she is.

I'm not getting used to it, I think she spoils the whole thing. I got excited when I read the thread title and was shocked to see Angelina Jolie was going to play Kay Scarpetta. It's like Tom Hanks playing Robert Langdon in The Da Vinci Code but the opposite way: sexing a character up and making her younger than she is.

Well Scarpetta wasn't always that old, in her first novel she was still relatively young, Angelina is no spring chicken you know! :roll:

Well Scarpetta wasn't always that old, in her first novel she was still relatively young, Angelina is no spring chicken you know! :roll:

Well I have to give you that much, I don't actually even remember her age but I always had this idea of her in my head that she was older. My Scarpetta image is very much influenced by Cornwell's own pictures in the back covers of her books, actually.

Well I have to give you that much, I don't actually even remember her age but I always had this idea of her in my head that she was older. My Scarpetta image is very much influenced by Cornwell's own pictures in the back covers of her books, actually.

Me too! It's like she's describing herself! At least that's just how I picture the older Scarpetta :)

My Scarpetta image is very much influenced by Cornwell's own pictures in the back covers of her books, actually

Me three.

Jolie probably is about the right age to play Scarpetta in the early books, but she is wrong in just about every other respect. I've always thought of Scarpetta as a grafter and Jolie just doesn't have that vibe.

I also always thought of Scarpetta having an understated sexual vibe thing that attracted the men in her life, rather than an obvious thing that would only produce wolf whistles.

Without having realised this before on a conscious level, I think likewise. Jolie is so wrong on so many levels.

My Scarpetta image is very much influenced by Cornwell's own pictures in the back covers of her books, actually.

Me too! It's like she's describing herself! At least that's just how I picture the older Scarpetta :)

Me three.

Me four! Wow. And I picture her as elegant, not sexy.....until she is behind closed doors...

My Scarpetta image is very much influenced by Cornwell's own pictures in the back covers of her books, actually.

Me five!

I also always thought of Scarpetta having an understated sexual vibe thing that attracted the men in her life, rather than an obvious thing that would only produce wolf whistles.

Yeah, I think that's right. Trying to think of who would be a good Scarpetta & the only thing that keeps sticking in my mind is that woman who played Angela in "Who's the Boss" - but she's too old now.

Judith-Light1.jpg

Edited by Ceinwenn