The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Kell

My advice would be to carry on, as it does start to pick up. :D

I'm almost there, a couple of thoughts so far...

I was a bit disappointed that Rossi forgot all about Romania because of a drink.. it felt like a 'cop out'.

I've read in many places that the end just sort of fizzled out.. I'm really hoping not!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found the middle bit easier to read because I sat there and didn't move for hours and then suddenly I only had 100 pages or so left. I found the first and last bits dragged because it takes a while to get into the style of writing used and to differentiate which character is narrating. If you can get through the long history text bits then you'll finish it IMO.

In reply to Michelle's "spoiler" post:

I was a bit miffed at that too, but I got the feeling it was at a point in the story where Kostova was worrying a bit about the overall length of the novel & wanted a quick answer to that question, so I was more than a little disappointed in that bit too. However, I did enjoy how it finished up - it was all rather neat & tidy, if a teensy bit rushed.

The middle bit does slow down a bit while all that information & reseach is related, but it's worth sticking with it as all that knowledge does relate to the rest of the storyline as a whole. I don't think there was any of the historical data that was actually superflous, but sometimes it could read a little dry for a while & there was a feeling of "anoth letter? how many are there???" However, the action does pick up again & the pace quickens a fair bit as the end draws near.

I finished it! :D

I'm glad I kept going, over all it's an enjoyable book. I guess that there are a few different stories to tell, so it would be quite a large book. Also, going into the history, and the documents etc, gives you a feel of the amount of time they took researching and tracking him down.

I certainly think it's a book that suits itself to long reading sessions, rather than the small chuncks I could manage recently.

• 2 months later...

I'm very late adding to this but I finished the book last night. All in all, I really enjoyed it and thought that is was very well done for a first novel. I did find some parts dragged a bit but then the story seemed to pick up the pace again.

I had read Bram Stoker's Dracula years ago and while reading the Historian remembered how fond I was of Dracula so I ordered another copy to read soon.

I read this book on holiday, which meant that I got to read it in big chunks which could be why I loved it lots and lots. the whole detail in their investigation was done really well without being boring and the I felt the story was kept in the real world really well.

I did think that the ending was quite rushed but apart from that 9 out of 10.

• 1 month later...

have just finished this and so now feel able to read the thread :motz:

comments:

1. i also thought about the daughter's/helen's mother's name and thought i just wasn't paying attention. doh!

2. agree about the ending. it seemed a little too rushed and far too 'hollywoood-happy-ever-after' for my taste

3. what was with that epilogue? to be honest, i couldn't be bothered to read it as it seemed to just be something she'd cut from elsewhere and then added in later. bizarre

4. the 'rossi forgets' part was slightly lame, i agree

5. much as i loved this book, especially the romance between rossi and helen's mother, it seems that there were so many parts that were languished over, and then other parts that were hurried through

6. i think it's one of those books that comes back to haunt you at odd times, much the same way as 'captain corelli'. it's pleasant to read whilst doing so, but better after the event

now i've finished it, i'd better change my 'currently reading'. after such a heavy book, i've opted for something very light which i generally do.

oh, and sorry for dragging the thread back to the top - us noobs eh :dunno:

Have you read Dracula? It is sooooo very similar and it too ends on a rather quick note after hundreds of pages of gorgeous prose.

i haven't. i'm generally not a fan of gothic/horror on the whole. however, i'm seriously considering it now, but may wait a while as i like to 'mix it up' so to speak

I guarantee that if you go on to read Dracula, you'll be thinking back to The Historian & seeing all the little links - it's worthwhile even for just that, but even more, Dracula is a wonderful novel in its own right too. :dunno:

I guarantee that if you go on to read Dracula, you'll be thinking back to The Historian & seeing all the little links - it's worthwhile even for just that, but even more, Dracula is a wonderful novel in its own right too. :motz:

it's firmly on my list. i was thinking of reading it whilst reading the historian, but since reading this thread, i most certainly will

i love links in things too - as long as they don't rely too much on my memory, which obviously this won't :dunno:

I enjoyed 'The Historian'...

But I did find the ending very rushed as well, I felt there could have been more to do it, if that makes sense?

:dunno:

• 3 weeks later...

My sister is reading it at the moment. She's been reading it for about 2 weeks now and is on page 70. She says she's finding it really hard going because it keeps swapping back and forth from the different times in history. She says she's finding it hard to know where she is in the book. Is the whole of the book like this?

• 3 months later...

I thought i would really enjoy this book but i found it very hard going and it made me fall asleep alot! I would read about 5 pages and nod off

I feel because i love vampire and dracula books that maybe i built it up alot in my head rather than having an open mind but i am glad i read it.

In fact i have just been to Whitby so i feel another reading of Dracula coming on!!

• 2 weeks later...
I enjoyed 'The Historian'...

But I did find the ending very rushed as well, I felt there could have been more to do it, if that makes sense?

:blush:

I know exactly what you mean. It took me a long time to read this book as I had to stop after so much to digest what I had read. The ending was over and done with too quickly. I felt that the author had run out of speed by the end and didn't have a real idea of how to end it. It was too quick and a bit rushed in my opinion. But having said that I did enjoy the book.

• 1 year later...

I was just looking at my book shelf and saw the historian tucked away right on the very top and read the first chapter. Just reminded me how good this book really was :) i never noramlly re-read books with a few exceptions but i might re-read this one. It was one of the many books that i picked up randomally in 3 for 2 offer in waterstones. I am glad i picked it up.

• 4 months later...

The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova

Published 2005 by Little, Brown and Company

Time Warner Book Group

I came across this book on the bargain table of a local bookstore.......but it's not the kind of book I'd normally grab. I read the synopsis and glanced through it, checking out the quality and style of writing. Still, it did not really grab my attention, but I thought what the heck? It

I read this book over the summer and loved it! I read Dracula several years ago and really enjoyed it, and I liked how these two books interrelate. One weird side effect of this book was that it make me excited to go back to school. :D