Sci-fi/fantasy with a different angle

Kreader

I like having the many variations of this genre. Mixes of crime/mystery, epic stories, action adventures and romances are all available especially when a book seems to a merge of more than one genre.

Anne McCaffrey's Dragons of Pern series could be considered fantasy because of the dragons yet it starts out with sci-fi origins. Jim Butcher's Dresden Files is a mystery series in a urban fantasy setting. Then there's those paranormal romances lots on the vampires falling for forbidden or impossible loves like Twilight by Stephanie Myers.

Anyone else interested in books like these?

The best fantasy crossover authors out there in my opinion are:

Jasper Fforde: his "Thursday Next" books are a delightful mixture of mixture of dystopic/time-travel science fiction and classic literature fanfiction. Sounds insane but it works, amd

Neil Gaiman: "Anansi Boys", for example: part myth, part family drama, part crime novel. Brilliant storytelling.

I like having genre variations too. I wouldn't want to sit and read a book that was classed as "Romance", but give me a vampire romance/impossible love and I am hooked!

I'd find it hard to read a straight romance too, add a little quirk like vampires, werewolves, elves/fairies, aliens etc then it gets interesting.

Jasper Fforde: his "Thursday Next" books are a delightful mixture of mixture of dystopic/time-travel science fiction and classic literature fanfiction. Sounds insane but it works, amd

:) I think Thursday Next series is an excellent idea and having read the first book in the series I can say that the excellent idea for a story is brilliantly executed into an amazing book :irked:

• 2 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...

One of the best sci-fi romance crossovers I ever read is Anne McAffrey's first book, Restoree . A woman is plucked from the streets of New York and wakes up on another planet as somebody else. She had actually been skinned and hung up like a piece of meat ready to eat by an alien race but then rescued....she is a "restoree" one who has had somebody elses' skin and face placed over her flesh by the skill of a surgeon. Such as her are usually driven mad by the experience and trained for menial tasks as servants but our heroines' mind gradually returns and she becomes a strong woman who influences events.... It is also a love story and a strong female fantasy ( ie what woman does not want to sometimes be "someone else" more beautiful with a totally different life?)

I really recommend this one it will stay with you!

• 9 months later...

One of the best sci-fi romance crossovers I ever read is Anne McAffrey's first book, Restoree . A woman is plucked from the streets of New York and wakes up on another planet as somebody else. She had actually been skinned and hung up like a piece of meat ready to eat by an alien race but then rescued....she is a "restoree" one who has had somebody elses' skin and face placed over her flesh by the skill of a surgeon. Such as her are usually driven mad by the experience and trained for menial tasks as servants but our heroines' mind gradually returns and she becomes a strong woman who influences events.... It is also a love story and a strong female fantasy ( ie what woman does not want to sometimes be "someone else" more beautiful with a totally different life?)

I really recommend this one it will stay with you!

I recall reading this years ago, it was good,

• 2 weeks later...

Neil Gaiman: "Anansi Boys", for example: part myth, part family drama, part crime novel. Brilliant storytelling.

Planned on mentioning Gaiman. Glad to see his name right away :)

• 3 weeks later...

C.S.Friedman's 'The Coldfire Trilogy' is great and The Darkover Series by Marion Z.Bradley is just awesome.

Oh yes, thank you for mentioning that one! One of the very first books I read and it stole my 13 year old heart.

Friedman has also written a book about a shapeshifter/vampire on a spaceship. The name escapes me. Its a slightly weird mix of fantasy and sci-fi but I liked it non the less. It seems like she has written several fantasy sci-fi mashups.

One of the more memorable books I've read was Night of the Wolf by Alice Borchardt (Anne Rice's sister). She did a trilogy that were set in different historical periods, and the one thing they all had in common was that they involved werewolves. Honestly, I couldn't finish the first book, and I still haven't picked up the third one, but the second one really resonated with me. It was set at the beginning of the Roman Empire, when Caesar took power. This one definitely bends genre, which is cool because in the end, it became its own thing.

I beg to differ!

(Noll can probbaly even this one up with a glowing counter-review!).

Oh, com'on, It was not THAT bad. (then again I read it when 13). You say in your review that Use Of Weapons was much better but that book made me irk in unexplained hatred towards it within the first 40 pages. I put it down after that.

Oh, com'on, It was not THAT bad.

Pretty much was! It's the first time I've re-read that review for quite a while and I stand by it.

Use of Weapons jumps around a lot at the beginning and it takes a while to get into, but it is worth sticking with.