What was the first fantasy/sci-fi or horror book that you read?

Kreader

You'll be relieved to know neither of them is really horror; they're gothic novels (the Romantic ancestor of horror novels) and, while they both contain supernatural elements and nail-biting moments, they are mainly concerned with emotions and ethics. "Dracula" could be considered the first vampire romance of all time, and "Frankenstein" is more about the dangers of playing God and hate crime as a vicious circle than anything else.

Thanks for that!

I know the basic story of both, and have heard/seen several adaptations of both on radio and/or film, but I would like to read the original texts one day.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The very first horror books I ever read were those from the Goosebumps series ( I can't remember their author) when I was... 13 or 14 perhaps. They scared the heck out of me. :D

:eek2: My son is reading these now (9 year old). He reads a page and then hides under the blanket. He comes to the living room saying he's too scared to go to sleep and I tell him to get a book, and that will calm him down. Then I see what book he takes. LoL.

really You'll be relieved to know neither of them is horror; they're gothic novels (the Romantic ancestor of horror novels) and, while they both contain supernatural elements and nail-biting moments, they are mainly concerned with emotions and ethics. "Dracula" could be considered the first vampire romance of all time, and "Frankenstein" is more about the dangers of playing God and hate crime as a vicious circle than anything else.

That's why I enjoyed them. They both had sad bits and I consider Dracula to be a sad love story.

R.L. Stine. I used to buy his books by the truckload, YA genius he was. the "Night of the Living Dummy" miniseries and "Say Cheese and Die" were easily his best. I remember that when my first tentative novel (age: 11) was compared to his work I thought it the best compliment ever!

I have my nephew's "Say Cheese and Die" on my shelf.

The very first horror books I ever read were those from the Goosebumps series ( I can't remember their author) when I was... 13 or 14 perhaps. They scared the heck out of me. :irked:

Me too!! I used to love Goosebumps series and also Point Horror series. Brings back so many memories,got really excited there! I recall really scaring myself with the Point Horror stories when i was about 9 years old!:lol: I think the first fantasy was probably an Enid Blyton book, although I don't realy recall the name of it.

I haven't read any horror books yet but i'm really open to suggestions. If any of you could suggest me any good ones :irked: i'd apreciate it.

For an introduction to horror I'd try an old-school Stephen King (like "Carrie", "Miser", "The Dark Half" or "Christine" - my personal favourites), Anne Rice's "Interview with the Vampire" (swiftly followed by "The Vampire Lestat" - easily the best in the series - and "Queen of the Damned"; the three original and best "Vampire Chronicles", the later ones aren't as good), or Clive Barker's "Nightbreed" (I haven't actually read this one but the film, which is awesome, was scripted by the author so I'm guessing the book needs be awesome also).

Point Horror

OMG I loved Point Horror so bad! Borrowed from my nan's local library so much they were nearly mine... that series sported some of the best teen vampire romance EVER! They don't write them that good no more.

OMG I loved Point Horror so bad! Borrowed from my nan's local library so much they were nearly mine... that series sported some of the best teen vampire romance EVER! They don't write them that good no more.

Absolutely agree..I used to do that too,in the library and when ever my nan would bring me in to town, I would slyly hint at her maybe buying me a Point Horror book! Which she always did, because she spoiled me, bless her..

I cant remember the first one but the one that really sparked my passion for reading was when I was about 10 and we were read the first chapters of Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone. After school I got my mum to buy it for me and read it within a day or two and I dont think I've stopped reading since. I still love reading the Harry Potter series now. I do also recall spending many nights reading Goosebumps books too.

• 1 month later...
...Clive Barker's "Nightbreed" (I haven't actually read this one but the film, which is awesome, was scripted by the author so I'm guessing the book needs be awesome also).

The book format of Nightbreed is called Cabal and, to be fair, it's not one of Clive's best.

Anyway, the first book I read was Spider-World - The Tower by Colin Wilson around age 12. As you'd suspect from the title it's a fantasy book. I recently tracked it down and re-read it - It is every bit as enjoyable as I remember it being.

The first horror book was The Hell-bound Heart by Clive Barker.

Sci-fi didn't appear on my radar until much later. Only recent years in fact.

Interesting question. Now I'm not sure I can remember and I wish I could. Contenders: Madeline L'Engle, Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising.

Probable first: The Witch Next Door or Gus Was a Friendly Ghost. Kids books, yes. But subject matter was what we're going for, and they fit.

Definite first for horror: Night Shift by Stephen King. I was 8, and my parents had gone to visit the next door neighbor.

My first fantasy was probably the Worst Witch series (a private school for witches only - the hapless heroine was Mildred Hubble who couldn't cast a successful spell and when she tries the results are extremely hilarious.)

You could say though The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe was the first true fantasy I ever read. I only read LOTR because I was such a huge Lewis fan so when I found out he was best friends with the author of LOTR I read them too. Also the films came out and we went to see them all as a family.

Not really into sci-fi which is why I love the mickey take of Hitchhikers and that was my first sci fi.

Dean Koontz is the first Horror author I truly fell in love with.

My first fantasy was probably the Worst Witch series (a private school for witches only - the hapless heroine was Mildred Hubble who couldn't cast a successful spell and when she tries the results are extremely hilarious.)

I used to really love those books! Ahhh, memories!

Like a few others on here, I first read Enid Blyton's Magic Faraway Tree. I am now in the process of reading it to my 4 year old son who loves it as much as I did. The first horror book I ever remember reading was The Deathwalkers. I can't remember who wrote it, but it really scared me (I was only 12 at the time)

I'm fairly certain it was Terry Brooks' Sword Of Shannara,fantasy-wise,and I'm still reading him 30+ yrs later(I sound ancient!:D). I've got the latest trilogy starting with Armageddon's Children waiting impatiently on my bookcase! Horror was James Herbert's Rats. I had nightmares as kid reading that and the two sequels! I can't honestly remember my first sci-fi! Def getting old! :D

My first sci-fi book was The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury.

My first fantasy book was by Ursula Le Guin but cannot remember the title ( maybe one of the Earthsea books).

My first horror book was The Omen by D. Deltzer.

I read The Omen when I was about 12 and sick in bed for a fortnight. It began a binge during my sickness: The Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby, something about a Rose, etc. You get the pattern. Either I was going to die of fright and horror or I was going to get well :D