Harry Potter or Twilight Saga?

lola-rose

*hides from potter fans for fear of backlash*

Agree with everything in this post - including the bit about the Twilight demographic.

I read Harry Potter and enjoyed it thoroughly, even tho' I thought the cracks were showing more and more as the series progressed. It's a real shame that it didn't live up to the promise of the first three (sensible length!) adventures. Still, the whole series is good fun and a staggering achievement - "Hogwarts and all".

As for Twilight, I haven't read it, but I can't help resenting it. Fact is, when I was young, vampires were scary and cool. Now they just seem to be sleepover code for "boys".

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Harry Potter don't get my wrong but I do prefer Twillight, I think that is mainly because of the whole romance factor of it, I love the way Stephanie captures a girls side of falling in love, the way she writes about Bella its like reading about your first love sometimes. Harry Potter is just a good story I enjoy but think at my age I cant really relate to much of it.

Like others have said they are two completely different types of books, but for me personally the Harry Potter series wins hands down. It's a whole other world, full of magic and yet in a way totally believable. I think J K Rowling has done a marvellous job of creating the magical world...so well in fact I find it a little hard to believe it all came from her imagination. Surely noone can come up with so many intricate details about a secret world unless they're a part of it. Yes, I do secretly believe it's all real!

As for the Twilight series, I bought all the books soon after the last one was released and have so far only managed to read the first one. While I thought it was good, I didn't really understand what all the hype was about, although I do have to admit that the whole vampire thing isn't something that really interests me, so that may well have had something to do with me not being completely enthralled with it.

Arggg...I really dont know. Help me choose, leave me comments saying which ones your fav & why Harry Potter and Twilight. Well I defo love the characters in Twilight (especialy Edward) but in Harry Potter I love what happens - all the magic. Please help me decide. JK Rowling and Stephanie Meyer go head to head. Who is the best writer ?

I love both series too, but I really think JK Rowling is the superior writer. HP books are far more complex. But I don't think I can fairly compare the stories because they are so so different and are liked for different reasons.

i loved both... but twilight touched me on a personal level, i'm not however saying i thought twilight was better, or stephenie meyer is a better author just that it emotionally effected me in a way HP could never have. For me twilight is not a vampire story, its a love story with a twist, the notion that even when its it utterly impossible love WILL conquer all, no matter the obstacles in your way if you a destined to be together then you will. Also the fact that Bella is your average plain ordinary girl makes her more real and i could truly put myself in her place. for me the vampire element just made it more exciting of a love story. I utterly sobbed my way through several chapters of new moon... when Edward left her i was reading my own life in print, the trauma the loss the sadness, HP could never have reached me in that way.

I hope you get what i mean... HP is an astonishing read, riveting and magical and i was truly gripped by twilight moved me.

I agree it is difficult to decide which is the better author. I don't think that either is better in the other as they write in different fields, Stephenie Meyer writes in Romance/Fantacy and J.K. Rowling writes in Fantasy so Stephenie Taps into the romance while J.K. Rowling does not. Which makes it very hard to compare. Having read all the books in both series I have to say I could not put the Twilight saga down while when I was reading Harry Potter it was easier. So I suppose I unconciously like the Twilight Saga more. But I'm not saying that Stephenie Meyer is a better author.

I would respectfully disagree that you can't compare the ability of writers from different fields :blush: and in any case, I'd class both HP and Twilight under the same heading of YA Fantasy. Also, the romance element might be more pronounced in Twilight, but it's hardly entirely absent from HP - in fact, I find the way that Ron and Hermione's relationship develops slowly across the books with them hardly noticing much more real and relatable than Ed and Bella's instant, inexplicable tumultuous passion.

didn't say it was absent... found both ron/harmione, harry/ginny stories cute and touching and even harry/cho just that none of them had me wailing like a banshee like parts of twilight. The only parts of HP that made me cry were the deaths. I don't ever comment on writing skills just the story and whether i liked it or not, i don't have a patch on any of them so who am i to comment, plus everyone has strengths and weaknesses and to be published they are better than me so i keep zipped on that department.

Fair enough :lol: as far as I'm concerned though, writing writing skills matter much more than storyline because ultimately there's only so much originality a plot can have; the most important thing in my opinion is how a book is written rather than what happens in it.

I wouldn't say being published is necessarily a guarantee of quality or being better than people who aren't; there's countless books on bookstore shelves which I consider to be unreadable, and there's a lot of talent that goes undiscovered for years just because publishers are afraid to invest in things which might be a bit different from the current trend.

Ultimately, writers write to be read by readers so they are knowingly exposing themselves to criticism; if readers aren't allowed to have an opinion as to whether books are well-written or not, then who is :smile2:?

Edited by BookJumper

... there's countless books on boostore shelves which I consider to be unreadable ...

I know it's off topic, but couldn't resist - is a boostore the shop with all the awful, unreadable books in, where you walk in the door and boo them all because they're so bad? :smile2: I love the idea of it :lol:

... and that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I usually try and make sure my posts are proofread within an inch of their lives:lurker: ahem. I do love your imagination though, Chesil. Brilliant image there.

i absolutely agree with you that everyone can have an opinion and please feel free to criticise away. I never meant you shouldn't or anyone else, i mean for me personally, i'm the first to admit i would damn near sell a kidney if it got me published but i know i'm not good enough. Sure if i read something that my cat could do a better job on, i might have a word or two but i haven't got a patch on these too... neither has my cat!

• 10 months later...

For me when I was 13 Harry Potter was getting more popular I was reading books what my nan was reading, the likes of Let's Meet on Platform 8 by Carole Mathews and House of Echoes by Barbra Erskine, which was mainly based for adults, so when I got the change to read Harry Potter I read the first 30 pages and I just couldn't get into it at all. However when Twilight came out I think I gone back a stage and got back into the Chick romance books, however it wasn't just the geek girl fall in love with popular boy, boy don't notices girl, girl end up with him at the end, it was something different, the boy wasn't just a boy, there was something else about that boy, he was a vampire and it was like he could kill her anytime, I wanna see what happens with him. However there are better vampire books out there then Twilight. If I do end up reading Harry Potter again, I might just end up liking it.

But as for the Films, I do prefer Harry Potter.

Harry Potter. Far higher quality of writing, more compelling plot (as in it actually exists), and the characters are more likable...even the villains, I would venture to say, are more likable in that they have more dimension and motive. With perhaps the exception of Voldemort who, until the last two books, is basically just your typical I-am-soaked-with-evil-and-I-hate-the-main-character villain.

• 1 month later...

Can I change my mind? Well, if I'm honest after most of the hype has died down I read both series again from start to finish and now I really do feel that Harry Potter is much more magical and mind-blowing rather than the romantic pull of the Twilight Saga.