Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Nessicle

Years ago I heard a theory that readers that loved Jane Eyre did not care for Wuthering Heights, and I've seen some "proof" of that over the years. I'd not read WH till last year after having read JE multiple times since my childhood. I'm afraid I, again, "prove" the above theory. :) I absolutely loved Jane Eyre, identified with her, could immerse myself in the story, over and over again.

I hoped I could feel at least somewhat similarly about Wuthering Heights, but, alas, could not.

To me, Cathy and Heathcliff did not love, they obsessed on, attempted to dominate and ultimately, destroy each other. How can true love be so destructive and obsessive? I don't think that can be called true love. Only my opinion, and since so many disagree with that evaluation, I wonder. But, that's how it affected me, at least.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, Cathy and Heathcliff did not love, they obsessed on, attempted to dominate and ultimately, destroy each other. How can true love be so destructive and obsessive? I don't think that can be called true love. Only my opinion, and since so many disagree with that evaluation, I wonder. But, that's how it affected me, at least.

I agree with you on the theory that Heathcliff and Cathy were obsessed with each other, rather than in love with each other. I think maybe it's due to the fact that they were separated earlier on in the book due to class differences, that created the obsession to grasp what was seemingly unobtainable (each other).

However you can also see this type of toxic/obsessive relationship, within the public eye nowadays. Like Heathcliff and Cathy, some celebrity couples would be better off being without each other, but the powerful draw they have between them means, that they can't live without each other. Like Cathy and Heathcliff, these types of relationships always end in disaster. So maybe 'Wuthering Heights' is as relevant today, than ever.

Edited by karen.d

Well, I wouldn't question the relevance, in fact I agree.

It always slays me though when their "Undying Love" is mentioned.......as though it is something to be emulated.

Well, I wouldn't question the relevance, in fact I agree.

It always slays me though when their "Undying Love" is mentioned.......as though it is something to be emulated.

LOL it was Cathy's fault she betrayed her own heart.

• 2 months later...

This is the book I wish I had written!! The ties that binds Cathy and Heathcliff are so insane, but strong and everlasting that make me longing a foul kind of love like this! It's obsessive and unhealthy, I agree with some of you.. but love is not always fair. It shows itself in many different ways.. and it may be evil as well.

And, in my opinion, I think the monologue of Cathy about that dream she had of being flung back on the top of Wuthering Heitghs and that she understood that she is Heathcliff it's one of the best in classic literature!

It's been my number one book since I read it for the first time about 25 years ago...and I have read it around 25 times so far. I get highly emotional when I talk about it so let me just say it's brilliant and worth your time. Give it a chance!

• 1 month later...

I read so many positive reviews about this and the other sisters' books that I though I had to read it too. Considering I like many other classics I expected the same here. But I was very put off by all the insanity and the emphasis on self-indulgent emotion in all of them, worst of all WH. In our time I have seen the destruction in people's lives when they knowingly let emotions be their only guide. It's not romantic or noble or anything other than destructive.

I suppose I feel for the sisters and their difficult lives, nothing healthy could come from such a background. But I can't and won't like any of it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This really was a great book. I honestly love to hate Heathcliff. Its not a love story, its a story about revenge. But Heathcliff and Cathy's love story is indeed an unforgettable one. It took me some time to finish the book. The old English created a slight language barrier. Once I finished it though, I felt that it was completely worth investing time on. A novel with a perfect ending, in my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just finished reading this - what a book. I was apprehensive when I began reading because of the novels reputation and its cult following.

I have to quote what someone else said earlier in the thread - I love to hate Heathcliff. He is such an interesting and complex character. 

The gritty storyline pulled me in, I felt it unmasked the concept of "true love" and showed how our desires and our need for vengeance can consume our lives. This is the first work I have read by any of the Bronte sisters, and the writing is exquisite. It captures the bleakness perfectly, I felt like shivering every time the harsh winters were described in the book.

I'm not sure how I feel about Heathcliff. On the one hand I hate him for his vengeful nature and loathsome personality.. but on the other hand, my heart went out to him, and I almost began to pity him. Especially in the last chapter.

I have just finished 'Wuthering Heights' and I loved it. I have so far, never read a book with so much emotion and atmosphere within it. It was like being carried along on a whirlwind of torment with the characters.

Although most of the characters within this novel are totally unlikeable, I think that the characters are so complex and interesting, particularly Heathcliff. I felt that in some ways, Heathcliff's treatment is his youth, is the main contributor to his bitterness and anger. However, I can't also help think that this behaviour is just a part of who he is. What does everyone think?

I absolutely agree, I think Heathcliff's youth moulded his character and his hatred for everyone close to him. In a way I can forgive some of the things he did because of his childhood, yet some of his actions I feel are unforgivable - particularly how he treated Hareton and Linton. No child should be treated like that.

Years ago I heard a theory that readers that loved Jane Eyre did not care for Wuthering Heights, and I've seen some "proof" of that over the years. I'd not read WH till last year after having read JE multiple times since my childhood. I'm afraid I, again, "prove" the above theory. :) I absolutely loved Jane Eyre, identified with her, could immerse myself in the story, over and over again.
I hoped I could feel at least somewhat similarly about Wuthering Heights, but, alas, could not.

Regarding your last question, I don't think "true love" is always a beautiful thing. I think it can become damaging given the right circumstances - there is no such thing as a perfect emotion. I do question Catherine's love for Heathcliff though.. I don't think such a thing existed for him in her heart.

I've been looking for some adaptations of the novel, and have found quite a few. Are there any in particular that people enjoyed? I watched the trailer for the 2011 film but can't say I was drawn towards it. ITV also did a two-part adaptation which looks more tempting.

Edited by Angury

I just finished reading this - what a book. I was apprehensive when I began reading because of the novels reputation and its cult following.

I have to quote what someone else said earlier in the thread - I love to hate Heathcliff. He is such an interesting and complex character. 

The gritty storyline pulled me in, I felt it unmasked the concept of "true love" and showed how our desires and our need for vengeance can consume our lives. This is the first work I have read by any of the Bronte sisters, and the writing is exquisite. It captures the bleakness perfectly, I felt like shivering every time the harsh winters were described in the book.

I'm not sure how I feel about Heathcliff. On the one hand I hate him for his vengeful nature and loathsome personality.. but on the other hand, my heart went out to him, and I almost began to pity him. Especially in the last chapter.

I absolutely agree, I think Heathcliff's youth moulded his character and his hatred for everyone close to him. In a way I can forgive some of the things he did because of his childhood, yet some of his actions I feel are unforgivable - particularly how he treated Hareton and Linton. No child should be treated like that.

Regarding your last question, I don't think "true love" is always a beautiful thing. I think it can become damaging given the right circumstances - there is no such thing as a perfect emotion. I do question Catherine's love for Heathcliff though.. I don't think such a thing existed for him in her heart.

I've been looking for some adaptations of the novel, and have found quite a few. Are there any in particular that people enjoyed? I watched the trailer for the 2011 film but can't say I was drawn towards it. ITV also did a two-part adaptation which looks more tempting.

I didn't mean to imply that true love was always a beautiful thing.....I know it can be a difficult road at times.  Difficult.  Not obsessive and destructive.

Haven't seen any of the film adaptations.

I didn't mean to imply that true love was always a beautiful thing.....I know it can be a difficult road at times.  Difficult.  Not obsessive and destructive.

Haven't seen any of the film adaptations.

You don't think true love can be destructive? People will do terrible things to others, even family in the name of true love.

You don't think true love can be destructive? People will do terrible things to others, even family in the name of true love.

People claim to do many things "in the name of" love, God, or country.  That doesn't make it true. 

True love does not do injurious things to the loved one.  Because someone claims that doesn't make it so.

I think Heathcliff, the Byronic "hero" could have been forgiven had he shown the slightest bit of remorse. He's presented himself as contemptuous of any kind of love except what he felt. Selfishness personified. He loved being miserable and seems to have taken an erotic pleasure in making others feel the same way. While reading this novel, I found myself wanting to skip over every line he spoke. I can understand his hate for Cathy's brother but what he put those children through...well, I've used my imagination!

People claim to do many things "in the name of" love, God, or country.  That doesn't make it true. 

True love does not do injurious things to the loved one.  Because someone claims that doesn't make it so.

Surely whether love is "true" or not is subjective and depends on each individual person? Someone may kill others in the name of true love - who are we to say whether or not their love is true?

I don't believe in true love (or true anything) but I think Heathcliff did seem to love Catherine, in the way he knew best. He never experienced love as a child, so he expressed his love for Catherine in the only way he knew how. Perhaps for him love was synonymous with obsession. I often think those two words go well together.

IMO, true love will never ever justify mistreating innocent people. You can be selfdestructive, but when you start ruining the lives of others, there is absolutely no justification. 

Catherine Jr and Hareton were the only two likable characters in the novel to me. 

Funny you mention true love. My hubby and I were watching "A Love Story" last Sunday and when they got to that famous line "love never means saying you're sorry," I had to yell at the tv. That was the most bogus and misleading lie I've heard in a while. Love means many things  to many people but in the world that I live in, love absolutely means saying "I'm sorry." It never means its okay to hurt someone because sorry is not part of the vocabulary.

Wars have been fought, lives have been lost and abuse has been dealt because of someone's twisted definition of love and God. Its not God and its not love that causes pain, its people who twist it to make it suit their needs. Every time I hear about a stalking case I feel myself wanting to get so physically violent towards the person doing the stalking, its almost scarey. If a person says NO, then it freaking means NO! Holding people hostage, stalking, menacing and threatening harm because a person doesn't feel the same way as you (general) do makes me ill.

When I think of Heathcliff, it makes me  physically ill. Ugh.

Couldn't agree more, Virginia.  "I'm sorry", is one of the most healing phrases in the language when applied with real repentance. 

I wonder if "healthy" love would be a more exact expression than "true". 

Angury, it's true, that some people mingle obsession with what they think of as love, but that is more of an unhealthy "love".  I don't call that true/healthy love.  Obsession is not a healthy state to be in. 

Wuthering Heights is my favorite novel and when I first read it, at age thirteen, I loved the romance, as dark and violent as it was.  In my opinion the novel is about all-consuming passion.  Passionate love and passionate hate.  Heathcliff loved Cathy obsessively and wanted to posses her, and he hated his enemies obsessively and sought to destroy them. 

Heathcliff is one of my favorite villains, but I don't hate him.  I actually feel sorry for him and think that a lot of his bad and violent behavior was due to his upbringing.  He suffered through goodness knows what before Mr. Earnshaw found him and then he was abused by Hindley over the years.  Now, that's not an excuse for all he does, but I think that when his feelings were hurt and he went to better himself, it showed his vulnerable side. 

Cathy is not likeable at all.  She is a very selfish and fickle girl who waves everyone else off to be with the wealthy and "popular crowd". I really blame Cathy for a lot of Heathcliff's behavior as well.

Funny you mention true love. My hubby and I were watching "A Love Story" last Sunday and when they got to that famous line "love never means saying you're sorry," I had to yell at the tv. That was the most bogus and misleading lie I've heard in a while. Love means many things  to many people but in the world that I live in, love absolutely means saying "I'm sorry." It never means its okay to hurt someone because sorry is not part of the vocabulary.

That's funny! I've read the book and I always thought that 'love never means saying you're sorry' means that you should never do anything so incredibly bad to your partner that you need to have to apologize (small apologies, like coming late and not remembering to tell the other one about it, doesn't count in this). Hm. I really need to re-think this!

Sorry, this was off-topic. I've been thinking about re-reading Wuthering Heights for a while now. I didn't like it on my first reading, but I'm very curious why this book makes some people tick. And I would kind of like to see that for myself.

• 4 weeks later...

Oddly enough, one of the things I like about "Wuthering" is the sheer honesty of both Cathy and Heathcliffe's selfishness!

Neither of them wrap it up - it's me, me, me all the way! It's not "right" but it's honest, and increases the passion and drama of the story.  

Once Cathy had been civilised by her stay with the Lintons, she still loved Heathcliffe, but had trouble accepting him in his still-unhoned state. Heathcliffe's hurt feelings (nothing good comes of eavesdropping!) caused his disappearance in order to "better" himself, but came back to be frustrated again as Cathy still was "lost" to him.

So he forced young Cathy and Linton together. He couldn't have the woman he loved, but controlling his son and her daughter gained him the material benefits of her inheritace, and he saw this as some kind of revenge.  

Still didn't help his sufferings, though - revenge doesn't!  

I am glad though that young Cathy and Hareton got together, in the end. They both recognised good qualities in each other, and accepted each other for those, despite any "failings". That's real love. Something the elder Cathy and Heathcliffe thought they had, but failed in.

Have a fun weekend of :readingtwo: , folks!

Edited by Booknutt

• 2 months later...

I have recently started reading this on my mobile....free book! I am reading it properly for the first time and so far so good, except when Joseph speaks then I cant understand a word  :angry:

I had to read his lines out loud to understand the words (although it probably depends on your accent as well). I feel sorry for the non-British who have tried to read his parts. :P