Charles Dickens

Michelle

Happy 200th birthday to Charles Dickens ~~

! :sign0072:

I have a 3 part trivia question for those Dickens fans out there .

What type bird was his pet ,what did he name it,and what Dickens book did it have a small "role" in ?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 3 part trivia question for those Dickens fans out there .

What type bird was his pet ,what did he name it,and what Dickens book did it have a small "role" in ?

I actually know this one - didn't he have a pet raven (indeed the inspiration for Poe's poem), called Grip? I admittedly didn't know what story it was in, but just looked it up now and it was Barnaby Rudge. Interesting bit of trivia, Julie - might have to read that book at some point.

I don't have any specific plans to celebrate Dickens' 200th birthday, but I still have my review of Great Expectations to fully write up, and this might be a fitting day to do so. Other than that, I'd just like to wish him a happy birthday, and I hope to read more of his books in the near future. :smile2:

To celebrate his birthday I will try to reread some of his books. I loved A Tale of Two Cities so it may be that one. I have read many of his books and they are so expertly written. I am so glad that this country is doing the honourable thing of celebrating his life and works. I have been following it all on the local news for the last 2 weeks and it was heartening to see all walks of life still enjoying him now.

Well done Ben

I have been envious of you UK folk getting to celebrate Dickens' birthday, but I never thought to see if there were any events around here! I was reading an article yesterday that mentioned all the books in which Dickens sent one or more characters off to Australia (for a holiday, I'm sure ;)). I also hadn't realised two of his sons moved out here.

So, I may be a bit late for celebrations in Oz, but I'll celebrate in my own way by reading one of his books this year. I'm long overdue anyway. I have Nicholas Nickleby, Bleak House and The Old Curiosity Shop on my TBR pile. I've heard many great things about Bleak House, but I've always been more 'curious' about The Old Curiosity Shop, so I think I'll choose the latter. :D

One of my library book groups reads this month is Oliver Twist. Although I read and enjoyed A Christmas Carol a couple of years ago, I've never been able to get through a full length Dickens, so I've decided to try the audiobook instead this time, to see if it helps me through! It's an unabridged version read by Martin Jarvis, and I'm enjoying it so far as he's great at bringing the characters voices to life.

Edited by chesilbeach

The audiobook idea is a great one, Bookhound. :smile:

I love having someone "tell me a story" - and it's even better if you are one of a group, all listening together. An age-old habit we shouldn't lose.

and ... since we're celebrating the 200th birthday of Mr. Dickens - I'm sure he'd approve us carrying the celebrations on for a few day longer, so feel free to mark this special time any way you choose, folks!

(I'm going to buy some decent hardback copies of my favourites among his novels to keep for ever and ever - those will be getting scarcer and more expensive as the years go by now ...)

Edited by Booknutt

Happy Belated Birthday CD. I only discovered Dickens last year with The Old Curiosity Shop. I am just about to start Martin Chuzzlewit in honour of the the great mans birthday.

PS Can one of the admin lot tell me if I'm reviewing a Kindle book, should I post it in general fiction or in the Kindle section?

Popped along to my Library yesterday looking for a copy of "Edwin Drood". Couldn't have been a worse time of course as only a scant few of his novels were "in". It's nice to know that so many others agree with us here, though, for normally there's quite a choice.

Of the two left "A Tale of Two Cities" is one I haven't read, so I've got it.

Here goes - into the French Revolution, then!

I watched a great Newsnight Book Review special on Dickens from last week. Kirsty Wark and a panel including two novelists and an Oxford English Professor were discussing Dickens life and why his works are still enjoyed by readers today. Good telly. It should still be available on iplayer.

And I am thouroughly enjoying Martin Chuzzlewit. Great book!

Edited by Milo MInderbinder

I know Dickens novels can take a bit of time to get through - but who says there's a time limit on :readingtwo: them, anyway?

What's so bad about reading a lengthy book gradually - with a few others along the way to vary things a bit?

We're so used to rushing things nowadays ... :rant::D

I'm with you on this Booknutt. Even though I'm only on my second Dickens book and am in no way an expert, one of the attractions for me is that his stories are so epic in scope. Great novels should be savoured and not rushed. Often with Dickens I find myself going back over paragraphs in awe of how bloody good he is at descriptive writing.

Often with Dickens I find myself going back over paragraphs in awe of how bloody good he is at descriptive writing.

You mean like this?

...a little dry brown corrugated old woman, with a small face that might have been made of walnut shells, and a large mouth like a cat's without the whiskers,..

Superb isn't it

You mean like this?

...a little dry brown corrugated old woman, with a small face that might have been made of walnut shells, and a large mouth like a cat's without the whiskers,..

Superb isn't it

Here here Dr. Bill! Part of what takes "so long" to read C.D.'s work is because we can bathe in his wonderful powers of description. Modern authors rely on dramas or love themes,as a "hook" for their works and develop their stories in a focused way. Dickens "paints" his stories descriptively for us so we can see and feel them. It's a dying talent among the younger authors,I'm afraid.

Still, I'm glad this old lady isn't my Gran - I'd be horrified if I took after her in my old age! :eek: , .