Dr Who

Michelle

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:roll: There can be worse addictions, I'm sure. Barney... Telletubbies... Justin Bieber...

The storylines really are genius. I have to go back and watch the Van Gogh one again tonight and pay better attention to it.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on some of the older episodes from Ecclestone and Tennant.

I've had tears of joy and tears of sadness, I've been freaked out and I've been thrilled, but most of all I've been entertained, and at times, it really has been the best television I've watched for years.

I wish I could watch them all again with new eyes as you are both doing, as there's nothing like that first viewing and the anticipation of watching a new Who episode.

I've dug out my series two boxset to watch soon - I'd put it away to try and wean myself of it, but all this talk has made me want to see them all again. (We've seen series one so many times, but series two is my favourite, so that's why I'm starting with the tenth Doctor again).

I'm doing it in reverse. For no particular reason. :roll: When I'm done with Tennant I will go back and watch Eccleston too.

Careful Nollaig an addiction like this can get out of hand, before you know it you will be back in the Hartnell years.

Just started watching Doctor Who with David Tennant and have to admit, he is rather adorable. Much better than the Matt Smith episode I tried a while back. :lol:

Yes!! Thank you CaliLily. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Smith fans! :roll:

Yes!! Thank you CaliLily. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Smith fans! :lol:

She later said to me she could come to quite like Smith. :( And she will!

Oh... er... so, what do you guys think about the price of tea in China? :roll:

No final decision will be made until all episodes have been reviewed and contemplated and pro/con lists have been completed.

His Van Gogh episode was absolutely brilliant. I've watched it 4 times now and am probably going to go back for more. There is something more about Tennant though. He has something that Smith just seems to be lacking, IMO, but I just can't put my finger on it. I adore Tennants face. He has the best reactions and such expressive, intense eyes. *swoon*

TBH, I'm still a bit fuzzy on how the whole thing works. Though Tennant's Dr. and Smiths are clearly two different 'people', they are essentially the same soul, right? What happens to make him change into a new doctor?

Edited by CaliLily

He dies x_x well, he would die if he didn't regenerate. He regenerates to save himself. Apparently, it's a bit like a bad acid trip, for the Doctor. That was what inspired the original regeneration back in the 1960's. And yes, it's basically the same soul - he has the memories and the 'person' is continuous, but it's a whole new body and often a different personality. There have been theories (I think they're only theories) that different aspects of different personalities combine together in different ways in different regenerations - for instance one of the later regens might seem like a combination of two of the earlier Doctors.

I see. So in theory, its best to start as early to the beginning of the show as possible because its all one grand continuation, but you don't nessecarily have to because each Doctor has his own 'story' so to speak.

Well yeah, it's obviously better to start at the start, but Eccleston is as good a start as any - he was the 9th Doctor, the 7th Doctor finished up in the 80's, and the 8th only appeared in one movie in the 90's. Also, nobody knows how the 8th Doctor 'died', that's the only unknown regeneration. They didn't include it in Eccleston's first episode because it would have seemed a bit anti-climactic, I suppose, considering it had been quite some time before. So yeah, 1-7 are kind of solid, then 8, then from 9 onwards. There are a lot of references in the new series to the old ones apparently, a mate of mine went through a lot of them with me during Series 5 (Matt Smith's), but for the most part it's safe enough to start with the beginning of a Doctor and watch him through, like I did with Smith, then with Tennant. With Tennant, his first companion is the old companion of the previous Doctor (Rose Tyler, and Eccleston respectively) so it would probably be better to start with Eccleston, but I doubt there's anything horribly confusing - each series tends to be mostly self-contained with some over-arching ideas, as far as I can tell. I managed to watch the newest one without being totally lost, anyway!

ETA: I could be completely wrong, this is what I have generally gathered. I'm not a very reliable source though.

Edited by Nollaig

I would certainly say it's best to start with Eccleston, as there are some things in later episodes which will then make more sense (Captain Jack, for example).

I've not watched much of the old shows, and when I caught a few recently they certainly seem old and slow! :roll: Personally, if a character shows up from the dim and distant past (such as The Master) I used Wiki and did a bit of reading up on them. :lol:

Abby, as for your comments about Smith and Tennant, I totally agree. I just think that Tennant showed more, and he refected the age (maturity) of The Doctor better. :(

I'm using Wiki too Michelle. Before I ever started watching Smith, I read through the history of the show and all the Doctors up to that point. Forunately, my brain can't absorb so much information easily and I've forgotten large chunks of Eccleston and Tennant's information. I was mainly looking at character traits, and the actual history of the Time Lords though. I know who Captain Jack is - I actually have some Torchwood, which I may or may not watch (I hate Barrowman, but that really WON'T change :roll:)

I also agree about Tennant showing the age of the Doctor more. There's something in him, even as Tennant, that looks like an old soul. He's just got one of those faces. But there are times, I felt, when Smith really nailed it. The bit in 'The Beast Below' where

he's about to zap the whale's brain, and Amy or Liz 10 tries to say something, and he literally roars at them, 'nobody HUMAN has anything to say to me today!' - that was only the second episode and even I was cowering in my chair going, 'sorry sorry sorry!'

Edited by Nollaig

I just bought the beginning of Tennant's season yesterday and it cost a small fortune so I think I'll finish that and then go back to Eccleson's before moving further with Tennant's portrayal. Unfortunately, after this weekend I won't have BBC America anymore so I won't be able to see any more of the current episodes until they come out on video. :roll:

*is blonde (by nature)* I should have thought to go research on Wiki! Looks like that will be a good little project for the afternoon :(

Last night while at the store I actually considered getting Torchwood because it was really cheap. Might have to go back and get that one :lol:

Strangely enough Noll, Barrowman in his 'happy bouncing state' really annoys me. I also wasn't always keen on him in Dr Who - but I love his character in the first 2 series of Torchwood.

Are you refering to John Barrowman from Broadway? I adore his voice but have never actually seen him act. Who does he play in Torchwood?

He plays Captain John Harkness, the main character. He also appears in Series 1, and presumably 2, 3, and 4 of Doctor Who as a guy involved with the whole 'defend earth from aliens' side of things. Which is essentially what the Doctor does, but Torchwood is an actual institute.

He's also apparently appearing in Smith's 2010 Christmas Special.

What else was I gonna say.... oh yeah @Michelle - I might give it a go so. I already have it, no harm to stick it on and have a little looksee.

I'm also gonna watch the Eighth Doctor's movie, since he's only in that one thing and it'll cover another Doctor, and I want to watch the 'The Five Doctors' special, because it just sounds hilarious having a bunch of Doctors all together. If anyone wants to advise me against these, now is the time, but I won't listen to you anyway. :roll:

You'll first meet Captain Jack Harkness in the Ecclestone series in a two part story by Steven Moffat called The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances (the best story from series one, along with Father's Day) and then in series two you'll hear the origins of Torchwood, but Captain Jack isn't in the second series (as they were shooting the first series of Torchwood at the time). Captain Jack is back for a few episodes in series 3 and 4 but not in series 5.

I can't remember if you've seen the Eccleston series, Nollaig, and I can't be bothered to trawl back through the thread, but if you haven't, I think you'll love The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances even if you don't like Barrowman. There are some fantastically brilliant one liners in it my favourite being, "I'm trying to resonate concrete", which doesn't sound like much, but in context makes me laugh out loud just thinking about it now!

Haha I haven't seen Eccleston but I am going to go back and watch him when I'm done with Tennant. I was just too impatient to get to Tennant, I couldn't stand to wait until I could get hold of Eccleston's series.