Dr Who

Michelle

Haha fair enough. A little paranoid because I'm rarely one to go on and on about an actor being adoreable. I have to say Matt's looks only half come into it - it's his portrayal of the doctor I find so endearing, I love how quirky he is.

Raven you're the sort who might know this:

you know the scene in Flesh & Stone that's also in the finale? Would that have been filmed as part of Flesh & Stone by itself, or is is possible parts of the finale were filmed that early too to put it into context? I'm only wondering because, if Matt did film that clip without having experienced how he was going to act in the finale, he did an amazing job of really capturing the run down, unusually serious mood.

Also annoyed with myself that I didn't spot that in the episode the first time through - he's clearing wearing the exact coat that the Doctor supposed to be in that scene had just lost to the angels.

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Raven you're a Who nerd:

Fixed!

you know the scene in Flesh & Stone that's also in the finale? Would that have been filmed as part of Flesh & Stone by itself, or is is possible parts of the finale were filmed that early too to put it into context? I'm only wondering because, if Matt did film that clip without having experienced how he was going to act in the finale, he did an amazing job of really capturing the run down, unusually serious mood.

Also annoyed with myself that I didn't spot that in the episode the first time through - he's clearing wearing the exact coat that the Doctor supposed to be in that scene had just lost to the angels.

I believe the insert for The Big Bang was filmed when they shot Flesh and Stone, right back at the beginning of the filming last year (they may say in Confidential, but I haven't watched that yet).

There are plenty of people who did catch the coat change (I wasn't one of them either!).

Umm, am I a nerd if I thought at the time in Flesh & Stone that

it wasn't the Doctor from that time talking to Amy? I'd thought at the time, that we'd see him go back at some point later in that particular story, but shrugged it off when it didn't happen

They also don't tend to shoot them in order, so I doubt if the final episode was actually filmed last, in fact I think The Lodger was the last block of filming, so that scene would have been shot at the time of Flesh & Stone.

The scripts for both stories were written by Steven Moffat, and I'm pretty sure he'd been planning it all along and would have been able to tell the actors about it even if they hadn't seen the script by then.

Yeah I'm sure he knew the script, it was just the way that sequence fit in so perfectly to the final sequence that it LOOKED like it had all been shot together, and for Matt Smith to portray that level of emotion so early on without having been engaged with the later material by acting any of it out, to me, makes him a really good actor.

I'm pretty sure Flesh and Stone was in the first filming block, and that The Big Bang was in the last (I'm not 100% sure but the beach pictures from the Angels two parter were definitely some of the first pictures we saw of Smith as the Doctor, and the Stonehenge shots were some of the last to appear).

It's a shame that so many are assessing his ability to be the Doctor on how good looking he is, anyone remember Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee, McCoy etc?

I've asked myself a few times if I'm doing this, but I don't think I am - "my" Doctor was Tom Baker, and you could hardly call him handsome either.

I think therefore I'm basing my opinion on the fact that he is a **** actor and is just not right for the role.

I have to say Matt's looks only half come into it - it's his portrayal of the doctor I find so endearing, I love how quirky he is.

I love how quirky he is too.

I used to watch Doctor Who as a kid in the 80's but can't really remember much about it. I started watching it again when it came back with Christopher Eccleston and enjoyed his portrayal of the Doctor. However, I really couldn't get away with David Tennant. I'm not sure why :D so I stopped watching.

I love Matt Smith though and have been hooked to this past series. Can't wait for the next :D

I'm watching the Tennant Years now :friends0:

I have to say I'm eating my previous words and thoroughly loving him as the Doctor. Now, that is partially because I got to know the general character of the Doctor through Matt Smith and I can see the ongoing character in Tennant (I know it's the reverse, but the point is I like the character independant of who is portraying him, so I like Tennant simply because he IS the Doctor in these series). That said, I do also adore Tennant. It will be weird going back watching the Matt Smith episodes after this, because while I never liked what I saw of Tennant when his series were airing, I have always thought of him as the Doctor. He's so funny though. I actually find him a lot less stiff than Matt Smith - while I love Smith, I do now see what people mean by saying Smith is more wooden.

Still hate Billie Piper. I don't mind her character too much but I don't like her.

I love Doctor Who. I mean. Just. Man. Why didn't anybody MAKE me watch this when it was first airing? I'm going to have to have a word with my mum about that, she watched it religiously. I feel like I've missed out on so much!

:friends0: Congratulations Roxi, you've finally come to your senses!

I do feel like I need to issue a warning though - as wonderful as the lovely Mr Tennant is, the writing is not always brilliant for his Doctor, so be prepared not to like all the episodes.

Series 2 is my favourite of all the series of new Who, and I'm not sure how far through you've got yet, but Girl In The Fireplace is probably my all time favourite episode ever - hope you like it to!

I didn't like all the Smith episodes either, but I still enjoyed him in them. I watched Girl In The Fireplace tonight, it's a pretty good episode. Some of the funniest lines so far in it, and I got to see Tennant doing the 'I'm very old' thing that the Doctors do.

I also loved School Reunion, the one right before it, not only because Anthony Stewart Head was in it (<3) but also because Sarah Jane Smith was in it. Soon as she turned up I dashed off to Wikipedia and read up on her character. That was enough to have me in tears by the end of the episode. 'Some things are worth getting your heart broken for.' I absolutely love the Doctor-Companion relationships, they ARE the heart of the show afterall, but it was wonderful to see an older 'dismissed' companion and the doubt of the newer one about her value.

I'm probably going to do everyone's heads in :D You'll all be thinking, 'yes, WE know Noll, WE watched it!!!' :friends0:

There can never be too much Doctor Who discussion, particularly if it's about Series 2 for me! I remember watching every single episode of that series time after time after time :roll:

I think I liked series 2 best because for the most part it's The Doctor having fun - there are definitely perils to be faced, but he and Rose just seem to be having the best road trip holiday ever!

Mickey: Excellent. Ice gun.

The Doctor: Fire extinguisher.

:lol:

Oh man, I'm going to have to watch these episodes again!

The 2005 Christmas Special is definitely the funniest overall Who episode I've seen so far. I was actually crying and in pain from laughter. Tennant roaring back at a Sycorax like a growly animal, his quoting a song from The Lion King in defence of the human race, and the killer Christmas tree. Just, hilarious. I've never seen anything more perfectly equated with my sense of humor, ever, than this show.

Yep, it's a funny one alright, just too much time with The Doctor sick in bed!

I have to say, I loved Camile Codhuri as Jackie as well so the whole scene on the balcony where she's trying to figure out what The Doctor needs cracks me up as well!

Sycorax: Voodoo?

The Doctor: Time Lord.

This is so encouraging me to waste the day watching the series again - need to get offline now before I go and did out the DVD box set.

Mickey: Excellent. Ice gun.

The Doctor: Fire extinguisher.

Rose: You're not keeping the horse.

Doctor: Why not? I let you keep Micky.

The Runaway Bride is my favourite Christmas special - Tate and Tennant work very well together.

Rose: You're not keeping the horse.

Doctor: Why not? I let you keep Micky.

Good, but my favourite line of the whole show:

The Doctor: Oh, you are beautfiul! No really, you are - you're gorgeous. Look at that, space age clockwork. I love it, I've got chills. Listen seriously. I mean this from the heart - and by the way, count those - it would be a crime, it would be an act of vandlism to disassemble you ... but that won't stop me.

The Runaway Bride is my favourite Christmas special - Tate and Tennant work very well together.

They do and I loved Catherine Tate as companion in this and series four, but it's not as good as The Christmas Invasion. Problems with The Runaway Bride include really annoying, overbearing incidental music at times and, for me, it didn't really have the sense of peril that you need if the whole human race is in jeopardy.

You know what I'm most excited about? The two tidbits I remember from watching bits of these series when they first aired:

1. Tennant's departure from the show, and how confusing that finale was for me, followed by how sad, and I didn't even like the guy.

2. Someone on here, and on tv, mentioning, 'the return of the Time Lords!' which strikes me as funny since last time I checked they were all dead. It sounds like SERIOUS BUSINESS in both cases, so I'm really looking forward to getting all caught up in the excitement and emotion of that :roll:

Problems with The Runaway Bride include really annoying, overbearing incidental music at times and, for me, it didn't really have the sense of peril that you need if the whole human race is in jeopardy.

I don't have a problem with the music, in fact I love the music during the excellent TARDIS car chase.

I'm now on the Agatha Christie episode and am officially addicted! Wish I hadn't put off watching this for so long!!!

Either you've watched a lot of epsiodes very fast, or you are watching them out of sequence! (the Christie episode is in Tennant's last series).

Edited by Raven

Either you've watched a lot of epsiodes very fast, or you are watching them out of sequence! (the Christie episode is in Tennant's last series).

Oh yeah, they're all out of sequence. I have 7 episodes recorded and they span anywhere between 2006, 2007 and 2010. I think I'll just end up buying the boxed sets beginning with Tennant and go from there.

Yes, do, and stop watching until then! Whatever about Tennant's seasons, Smith's season has a lot of tight-knit continuity and you need to watch the whole season in order to really follow it properly.