Have you read a book more than once?

Inver

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did I miss this thread previously?

Anyway, yes, I've read several books several times over.

Top of the list would have to be The Day of the Triffids and The War of the Worlds, both of which I've read coming on for a dozen times each over the last twenty years.

Other books I have read more than once include The Kraken Wakes and The Midwich Cuckoos; most of Mike Gayle's books; The Player of Games and Use of Weapons; the first four Harry Potter Books; most of Mark Wallington's travel books; several Pratchett novels (mostly the earlier ones) and Enigma.

I'm sure I've missed some, but as you can tell, I do have a habit of re-reading books I like!

I'm actually quite pleased that all of the books I've read so far this year have been new to me, but I don't see that lasting!

I've read Germinal by Emile Zola, Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy and Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte twice. The second time because of studying them - they are all fortunately really good reads. Although there are books I would like to read again it's not something I do as my list of books to read is endless - maybe one day . . .

When I have read a series of books, I tend to skim-read them the second or third time, cutting to the interesting parts or bits I want to read.

Me too. I've also re-read Harry Potter, Sookie Stackhouse and the Vampire Diaries quite a few times. I think I've re-read Dead to the World by charlaine Harris about 10 times! Its my 'pick me up' book when I need cheering up :D :mrgreen:

• 3 months later...

I think it's great how many of we "adults" are reading and re-reading Harry Potter! We're drawn to the magic of the series - which proves there's hope for us old-folks, yet - and yes, I've re-read all of 'em a few times, now, and also re-watch the movies. :D

There's always something new to learn, or enjoy again, with a re-read. My favourites are -

any of the Jane Austen novels.

any of the Bronte novels.

quite a few of Charles Dickens.

The "Sevenwaters" series of Juliet Marillier. (the latest "Seer of Sevenwaters" is just out!)

any Barbara Erskine novel.

the Jules Watson novels

and

the Melanie Rawn "Dragon Prince" series.("elderly" now, but great)

to name a few - which I can currently see in my bookcase.

I'm also enjoying getting tips from this thread - what a great way to introduce our old friends to others.

As for me the second reading is more interesting than the first one. :) And I often re-read my favourite books.

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Merlin Trilogy by M. Stewart

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis

The Master and Margarita by M. Bulgakov

These books I have read more than 5 times.