2022 Update - Any Questions?

Hayley

10 minutes ago, Hux said:

Can we add categories to the book list?

You won't be able to actually do it yourself, I have to add them from the Admin CP, but if you tell me the category I'll add it for you :) . I just thought I'd start off with the categories which already exist on the forum's main page.

Speaking of which, I will post instructions on how to use the bookshelves tomorrow!

21 hours ago, Hayley said:

You won't be able to actually do it yourself, I have to add them from the Admin CP, but if you tell me the category I'll add it for you :) . I just thought I'd start off with the categories which already exist on the forum's main page.

Speaking of which, I will post instructions on how to use the bookshelves tomorrow!

Most of the books I read are "Literary Fiction" but that seems a little broad. Can't think of a better alternative though.

Also, how do I get an ISBN?

Edited by Hux

1 hour ago, Hux said:

Most of the books I read are "Literary Fiction" but that seems a little broad. Can't think of a better alternative though.

Yeah I agree, it is tough to define genres so explicitly sometimes. Although I also agree that your books do seem to fit broadly into 'literary fiction' category. I thought about having a cross-genre category but I suspect that it might get a bit messy. 

1 hour ago, Hux said:

Also, how do I get an ISBN?

As Raven said, there is a part about getting ISBN's in the instructions I posted earlier. Personally I think searching 'google books' + book title is the easiest way - because you can just copy and paste the ISBN then :).

1 hour ago, lunababymoonchild said:

So it is, sorry what a 🤡 I am 🤣

:lol: not at all - easy to miss.

• Like 1

I struggle to get into this website. I can from my Android smartphone. I can't access the website from Firefox or Chrome on my PC, which is running Ubuntu Linux. I cannot access it from my laptop running Windows 10 using the Microsoft Edge browser. Since the latest update, I have occasionally been able to access this website from my PC, but usually the page stays blank.

1 minute ago, KEV67 said:

I struggle to get into this website. I can from my Android smartphone. I can't access the website from Firefox or Chrome on my PC, which is running Ubuntu Linux. I cannot access it from my laptop running Windows 10 using the Microsoft Edge browser. Since the latest update, I have occasionally been able to access this website from my PC, but usually the page stays blank.

That's really weird. I use the forum on Edge usually (from my laptop, running windows 10), from Chrome sometimes and from Safari on my phone - all of them have been faster since the update!

I wonder whether clearing cache and cookies on your browsers might help? If it's the same after you've tried that I'll contact software support and see if they have any ideas.

I am still having problems. When I tried logging into the site from my PC again, I couldn't.

I have just tried logging into the website using my work laptop, which runs Window 10, using the Microsoft Edge browser. I am in London. Still have a blank, white screen. 

Just tried to access the website using my work iPhone. Cannot access it that neither. I can only get access on my personal smartphone, which runs Android.

16 hours ago, KEV67 said:
<?
Header( "HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently" ); 
Header( "Location: http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/" ); 
?> 

This is the source code for the webpage https://www.bookclubforum.co.uk

It does not seem to do much in my browsers.

Thanks for this Kev, that's really helpful. Putting in bookclubforum.co.uk should direct it to the community page, so I'll get that sorted as soon as possible. 

• 2 months later...

Something i've just noticed.

Previously I was able to add in code to change the font (I like to use Verdana).  Adding the code as I previously did doesn't now work.  Instead, though, an additional icon seems to have appeared to specifically allow coding to be added. However, I can't seem to make it work.  Any guidance available please?

2 hours ago, willoyd said:

Something i've just noticed.

Previously I was able to add in code to change the font (I like to use Verdana).  Adding the code as I previously did doesn't now work.  Instead, though, an additional icon seems to have appeared to specifically allow coding to be added. However, I can't seem to make it work.  Any guidance available please?

Could you send the code you’re using to me please? I’ll try to find out for you! 

On 10/25/2022 at 11:01 AM, Hayley said:

Could you send the code you’re using to me please? I’ll try to find out for you! 

I've been trying to use Verdana font.  The code I used to use was <font="verdana"> (I think square brackets used to work, but can't remember now!). 

I suspect that's now old hat, so have looked at using variants on 

<style="font-family:verdana">  using different combinations of brackets etc, as don't know how the <> button actually works - but none work.  So I'm really trying to find out how <> works, and what I can do to change font if I want to (I'm tempted not to bother actually - the default is perfectly good enough, but am now curious!).

Edited by willoyd