Frey and McGray by Oscar de Muriel

lunababymoonchild

The brand new Frey and McGray - The Sign of the Devil - book is out today. It's the last one and promises to explain everything.

I sped through these books at a rate of knots and loved every one of them. I have my copy of the new one but not yet started it.

Anyone else on the forum enjoy this series and/or looking forward to this new, last one?

I'm simultaneously so sad and so excited about this final book. The series has been amazing. Every single book has been so enjoyable to read. And I really, really want to find out the answer to the mystery of

Spoiler

Pansy and the McGray family murderer! 

I first heard of this series on this forum so thank you for introducing me to it!  I've read the first two so far and am spacing them out - though it is tempting to read them all in one go - but I like to make something this good last longer!  Planning to read the 3rd one for a Halloween read so a little way off yet.

It's such a great series, well written and at times some of the dialogue is laugh out loud, but it's dramatic and yes a bit gruesome at times too, though not too much.  Great fun and I love the characters, they are real ripping yarns.

And yes it will be great to find out how the main story arc plays out in the end. 

23 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Classic reader's dilemma - desperate to find out more but don't want it to end.

It is, isn't it!?

9 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Planning to read the 3rd one for a Halloween read so a little way off yet.

That's a good plan! I might try to wait until then to read the last book... but it feels a long way away at the moment!

9 hours ago, Madeleine said:

at times some of the dialogue is laugh out loud, but it's dramatic and yes a bit gruesome at times too, though not too much.  Great fun and I love the characters, they are real ripping yarns.

This is a really good way to describe them! For me it's also the elements of Victorian gothic that make them particularly intriguing.

It reminded me straightaway of a Victorian sort of X files, with the back story about his family and the mystery of what happened, and the secrecy of McGrey's department which isn't meant to exist.

Only two books into the series and they are already feeling like old friends.

38 minutes ago, Madeleine said:

It reminded me straightaway of a Victorian sort of X files, with the back story about his family and the mystery of what happened, and the secrecy of McGrey's department which isn't meant to exist.

They do.  I'm missing mine. I read them all last year, having found one on my father's TBR and I gave away all of the paperbacks because I din't think that I'd want to read them again, and I do! I bought the e-book versions instead and will re-read them all.

Edited by lunababymoonchild

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2022 at 5:03 PM, Madeleine said:

Dearie, it's McGray not McGrey

On 8/5/2022 at 1:17 AM, lunababymoonchild said:

The brand new Frey and McGray - The Sign of the Devil - book is out today. It's the last one and promises to explain everything.

I sped through these books at a rate of knots and loved every one of them. I have my copy of the new one but not yet started it.

Anyone else on the forum enjoy this series and/or looking forward to this new, last one?

I bought the final book because I wanted the explanation. I did not expect the murderer to walk scot-free. The explanation for the murder was given but at the end, all of a sudden there's evidence to clear her of everything - what a joke! It just made me furious that an author charged that kind of price for an ebook which has offensive words (add up and you may get a few pages), abusive behaviour and pairing Nine Nails/McGray with his half-sister's sister, something those in the Victorian era would find it hard to accept. And yet there are some jokers who mention how wonderful this book is on Amazon because they've been given a free book for review. Please which police force in the world whether in this period or previous era that allows an Inspector to bash members of the public at his whim and fancy and get away with it. I know it's a story but it's mockery of the Victorian era, the police force and murder mystery. The evidence is presented in a court or even to their superior in a proper to solve the murders. All of a sudden, everything is settled at the end because the author says so. It's an insult to good murder mystery authors, historical or otherwise. It was too late for me to refund my money. but I am angry that I spent that much for a miserable book with offensive, abusive content and nonsensical conclusion, forget the so-called romance between McGray and his half-sister's sister. The half sister should be charged for the murder of Nine Nails father , not walking scot-free. I am really furious after forcing myself to read until the end. Based on Nine Nails behaviour, he should be locked up not roam free without any disciplinary action. He just insulted the entire police force.

3 minutes ago, voraciousreader said:

I bought the final book because I wanted the explanation. I did not expect the murderer to walk scot-free. The explanation for the murder was given but at the end, all of a sudden there's evidence to clear her of everything - what a joke! It just made me furious that an author charged that kind of price for an ebook which has offensive words (add up and you may get a few pages), abusive behaviour and pairing Nine Nails/McGray with his half-sister's sister, something those in the Victorian era would find it hard to accept. And yet there are some jokers who mention how wonderful this book is on Amazon because they've been given a free book for review. Please which police force in the world whether in this period or previous era that allows an Inspector to bash members of the public at his whim and fancy and get away with it. I know it's a story but it's mockery of the Victorian era, the police force and murder mystery. The evidence is presented in a court or even to their superior in a proper to solve the murders. All of a sudden, everything is settled at the end because the author says so. It's an insult to good murder mystery authors, historical or otherwise. It was too late for me to refund my money. but I am angry that I spent that much for a miserable book with offensive, abusive content and nonsensical conclusion, forget the so-called romance between McGray and his half-sister's sister. The half sister should be charged for the murder of Nine Nails father , not walking scot-free. I am really furious after forcing myself to read until the end. Based on Nine Nails behaviour, he should be locked up not roam free without any disciplinary action. He just insulted the entire police force.

Correction:Please tell me which police force in the world whether in this period or previous era that allows an Inspector to bash members of the public at his whim and fancy and get away with it. I know it's a story but it's a mockery of the Victorian era, the police force and murder story. The evidence is NOT presented in a court or even to their superior in a proper to solve the murders. For example, books by Charles Todd (Inspector Rutledge), Malcolm Archibald's Detective Watters. I can give more examples of police procedural books. For a writer to say that such a HOOLIGAN character who shoots anyone he likes, punches anyone he likes etc without any repercussion and for people to swallow that is nothing short of imbecilic. Even Jason Vail's historical mysteries that don't cost much are much more enjoyable, clean reading with proper solving of the murders. So I am sorry but I am very angry. The reviews on Amazon and goodreads are from people who got a free book. I should never have bought the book based on these reviews - they were misleading and a waste of my hard-earned money, time and energy and left me feeling very SOUR. A book is meant to be worthwhile for the readers. I would have preferred not to know the end at all!!!

Before I sign off. pls ignore my typo errors - that's what happens when I type while I'm angry. Amazon is posting positive reviews for selling the  ebook. Like the critical review posted on Amazon, I truly struggled to finish reading the DEVIL book.

I fervently regret buying this miserable "The Sign of the Devil" ebook which is costly for an ebook. I read an ebook only once and I can't resell it. Many authors understand this so the price is set lower. I've read good historical mystery ebooks from great authors - their ebooks are priced much lower and worth reading.

Spoiler

It finishes with the hooligan who only spouts nonsense about demons, charms etc , abuses others including his partner, Frey and uses offensive language getting Caroline as his partner. The one who actually finds answers, Frey ends up with nobody unless Oscar is hoping to write another story to this series with Frey ending up with the murderess, Pansy who butchered her father and mutilated her half-brother. Or wait, maybe Oscar means Pansy's father butchered himself to pieces and that's why there's no mention as to the murder of the father, only the author telling us how all the evidence has been given and we the readers simply accept it - it is imbecilic and not worth the Current price.

Sorry for the spoilers. I needed to vent my feelings somewhere.

6 minutes ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Well, hello and welcome to the forum. 

I take it that you understand that all of the Frey and McGray books are fiction and not meant to be taken literally?

Yes, I do. But look at it from my perspective, I bought the book for that price based on the reviews and never expected such an ending to the series. Like others whom I know, I read books for relaxation not to end up with such a SOUR feeling. Really sorry for the posts. Regards

1 minute ago, voraciousreader said:

Yes, I do. But look at it from my perspective, I bought the book for that price based on the reviews and never expected such an ending to the series. Like others whom I know, I read books for relaxation not to end up with such a SOUR feeling. Really sorry for the posts. Regards

Before I sign off, I've never done this before. I think the offensive and abusive content finally got to me LOL

48 minutes ago, voraciousreader said:

Sorry for the spoilers. I needed to vent my feelings somewhere.

We have a spoiler function that hides the content from everyone until they click it, so you can't accidentally read a spoiler. I just edited yours for you, so you can see how it works, but in future you can just click the little eye icon at the top of the text box if you need to include something you think might be a spoiler :)