Your Book Activity - August 2022

• Brian. pinned this topic

I am pretty much exactly at the halfway point of 2666 by Roberto Bolano. I'm well into the sub-book The Part About the Crimes and it's just as dark and oppressive as I had heard about. There is a particular sentence which is repeated for just about every murder and it's grim just how matter of fact it becomes after while. I've tried to read this book a few times in the past but never got beyond the first section. I don't know why it is sticking with me this time but I'm glad it is.

6 hours ago, Hux said:

Reading the selected works of Edgar Allan Poe.

Really interested to hear what you think of these - I really enjoyed the collection I read (I think it was one of the old Heron Books ones) and found that it wasn't exactly what I expected!

On 31/07/2022 at 10:31 AM, lunababymoonchild said:

Currently reading Cymbelline by Shakespeare and still reading The Old Curiosity Shop, by Dickens

Exactly the same for me :lol:. (How are you finding The Old Curiosity Shop?)

I am going to do a re-read of The Way West by A. B. Guthrie, Jr. It has been many, many years since I first read this book. A.B. Guthrie won a Pulitzer Prize with his writing of the book in 1950. I just finished reading The Big Sky by Guthrie which was voted the best book of the West by the American Western Literature Association.

Recovering from covid and not feeling much like reading so have been listening to James Herriot's All Things Wise and Wonderful. Read by Christopher Timothy, the original James in the TV series, so feels very right.

Next up, I've found a library audiobook by Gerald Durrell Beasts in My Belfry, which seems rather apt at present.

1 hour ago, poppy said:

Recovering from covid and not feeling much like reading so have been listening to James Herriot's All Things Wise and Wonderful. Read by Christopher Timothy, the original James in the TV series, so feels very right.

Next up, I've found a library audiobook by Gerald Durrell Beasts in My Belfry, which seems rather apt at present.

I'm glad that you are recovering, poppy. We had it too and it was very unpleasant. I read all of James Herriot's when I was a child and loved them all, they made me laugh out loud, so I hpe that that made you feel better. Never read Gerald Durrell so i'm looking forward to your review, when you are able. 

15 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I'm glad that you are recovering, poppy. We had it too and it was very unpleasant. I read all of James Herriot's when I was a child and loved them all, they made me laugh out loud, so I hpe that that made you feel better. Never read Gerald Durrell so i'm looking forward to your review, when you are able. 

I thoroughly recommend Gerald Durrell. His My Family and Other Animals is an all-time favourite of mine. 

Edited by poppy
  • Thanks 1

On 8/8/2022 at 10:37 PM, poppy said:

I thoroughly recommend Gerald Durrell. His My Family and Other Animals is an all-time favourite of mine. 

22 hours ago, Marie H said:

I agree with poppy, MFAOA is an excellent book. 

I agree with both poppy and Marie. 

On 8/8/2022 at 5:36 AM, poppy said:

How you feeling. Hope the recovery is coming along well.

670/890 pages into 2666 by Roberto Bolano and the final part of the book. I'm not sure how I will manage to collate my thoughts about the whole book into something coherent when I do finish it but I'll try. Part 4 is by far the longest part of the book but just like the other parts it stops rather abruptly with no proper finality, and then jumps to another place or time completely. It really throws me off the rhythm of the book and always takes me a bit of time to get going with the new part.

On 8/8/2022 at 10:36 AM, poppy said:

Glad you are recovering. Covid seems to be sneaking up on people at the moment. 

I read the James Herriot books decades ago, and to this day there are scenes and events that I recall with complete clarity. 

In a reading slump AGAIN. So keeping busy with other things until that changes. 

Have no 'new' books to hand at the moment, so in the past month I have re-read all of the Colin Dexter 'Morse' novels, a couple of Dick Francis' thrillers and a Desmond Bagley that was always a particular favourite! Must get hold of something new that I want to read......