Winter is coming

On 26/07/2022 at 3:08 PM, Madeleine said:

Just before the hottest day of the year last week, my mum was sent a reminder to book her winter flu jab.

Oh heck! Mind you, it could take some time, possibly October, before they have the flu vaccine clinics for 50+ age group. *sign*

Yep and it won't be free this year, I don't mind paying for the vaccine but did you know that doctors' surgeries get a payment (£15 last year I heard) for every vaccine they give, which surely is part of their job?  Our local Tesco's was only charging £9 for the flu jab last year so that's quite a mark up.....

2 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Yep and it won't be free this year, I don't mind paying for the vaccine but did you know that doctors' surgeries get a payment (£15 last year I heard) for every vaccine they give, which surely is part of their job?  Our local Tesco's was only charging £9 for the flu jab last year so that's quite a mark up.....

Whaaaaaaat! We have to pay for 'flu vaccine this year?

2 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Whaaaaaaat! We have to pay for 'flu vaccine this year?

Just the people who don’t qualify for free flu vaccine will have to pay at Pharmacies. You would normally qualify for being your Dad’s carer, and still get it.

I’ve looked at criteria in Boots chemist website for who get it free, though it’s not very helpful, for me. I have been getting it free for years (as I had a stoke), but it doesn’t actually mention stroke as a criteria for free flu vaccine!

I’ll just wait until I get a text message for my GP, when they are in stock of vaccine & clinics organised. That’s the usual way anyway.

1 hour ago, Marie H said:

Just the people who don’t qualify for free flu vaccine will have to pay at Pharmacies. You would normally qualify for being your Dad’s carer, and still get it.

Phew. I was actually thinking of my dad. He's quite happy to get the jag now but if he had to pay for it he wouldn't. He was brought up to believe that medicine of all kinds is positively evil and that the body heals itself. It's a constant battle and introducing having to pay for it would end it. I asked at a local pharmacy how much they were charging for Covid jags, in the early days, and was quoted £15! 

I do hope that you get sorted and for free.

• 4 weeks later...

My mum had both flu and Covid booster together but wouldn't recommend it, but it's up to you. I had my flu and Covid booster about a month apart last year and it seemed to work OK. We're on our 4th Covid booster here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2022 at 7:51 PM, Madeleine said:

My mum had both flu and Covid booster together but wouldn't recommend it, but it's up to you. I had my flu and Covid booster about a month apart last year and it seemed to work OK. We're on our 4th Covid booster here.

I can book my seasonal flu and 4th Covid booster anytime but have decided to hold off until a little later in the year, as I feel it’s still a little early now. I had 3 covid vaccines in the space of 10 months last year, so want to wait a full year before I get my 4th one, so the earliest I’ll book mine for will be October time.

4th booster?

I had my spring booster, and the winter booster is not starting until next week - when were the other two?

.....................................................................................................................................................

Christmas catalogues now arriving, got my first a fortnight ago and a couple more since.

On 9/3/2022 at 4:13 PM, Marie H said:

I’m waiting for the flu vaccine & covid 4th vaccine, though have no idea when they’ll be. Hopefully soon.

I must admit I've never had a flu jab but I have had 3 Covid jabs and unless I have to for work I'm not having a 4th, I had a strange reaction to the last one with pins and needles in my hands and feet for about 2 months afterwards so I'm a bit chary about more.

I've had 3 covid vaccinations and the flu one.  Got through winter ( southern hemisphere) without getting the flu' but managed to succumb to covid.  

I don't know if I'll bother with any more covid boosters, I didn't have any adverse reaction to them but I feel pretty covided out at the moment.

Hubby is going to pass though. He got a mild case of myocarditis from two of them. The Dr poo-pooed his symptoms for a start, saying it was just indigestion and that myocarditis from the vaccine only affected young people. Blood tests proved him wrong. I was quite disgusted with his dismissive attitude. 

I was Texted by my Doctors Surgery on Monday and invited to sign up for my fourth Covid Jab (Booster) and a Flu jab! I did so and will be getting them on the First of next month. I had a reaction to my first one, when about eight hours after getting it, I went cold, shivery and slightly nauseous. It only lasted a few hours and I was then okay. Numbers two and three, I had no reaction at all. So here's hoping, for number four!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have now had both my winter flu jab, and my covid booster. With both I just had a sore arm overnight, but was fortunate to have no other side effects, which I know can range from 'a bit yuck' to 'bloody awful' (< quotes from friends!)

On 10/6/2022 at 4:16 PM, muggle not said:

Wife and I have had 2 covid shots and 2 covid booster shots. We have an appointment in Washington, DC on Monday with our Doctor for our annual physical exam. and we will get the flu shot for this year.

I hope that you and your wife enjoyed your Washington visit and that your annual physicals went well. 

My vaccination schedule has been thrown out a bit as I now have to wait 28 days for the Covid one, so I reckon on getting that around the end of November.  Not sure when to have the flu jab though, I don't want both together especially if both arms will be sore which means I won't be able to lie on either side at bedtime!

6 minutes ago, Madeleine said:

My vaccination schedule has been thrown out a bit as I now have to wait 28 days for the Covid one, so I reckon on getting that around the end of November.  Not sure when to have the flu jab though, I don't want both together especially if both arms will be sore which means I won't be able to lie on either side at bedtime!

Both me and my father had ours about a fortnight ago and by that I mean Covid in one arm and 'flu in the other and didn't have sore arms. I suppose it just depends on the person

• 4 weeks later...