Remain, remain thou here
While sense can keep it on. And, sweetest, fairest,
As I my poor self did exchange for you,
To your so infinite loss, so in our trifles
I still win of you: for my sake wear this;
It is a manacle of love; I'll place it
Upon this fairest prisoner.

Putting a bracelet upon her arm

... Firstly, I thought it was unusual that they didn't already have rings. Maybe that is a sign of Posthumus' lack of wealth? But then he gets a diamond ring and she gets a bracelet which is described as a manacle... because she's a prisoner... a bit more depressing than it is romantic!

I enjoyed the lord telling us what he really thought about Cloten in Scene two :giggle2:

17 hours ago, KEV67 said:

Tell you what, that Iachimo seems like a very ill bred fellow.

Agreed! 

What did you both think of the ending of Act 1? I don't trust Iachimo asking Imogen to look after the trunk full of jewels... I don't know what he'd be up to but it seems like he's still up to something now she's rejected him. 

Also big fan of Cornelius for being clever enough not to really give the Queen the deadly poison she wanted!

2 hours ago, Hayley said:

What did you both think of the ending of Act 1? I don't trust Iachimo asking Imogen to look after the trunk full of jewels... I don't know what he'd be up to but it seems like he's still up to something now she's rejected him. 

Also big fan of Cornelius for being clever enough not to really give the Queen the deadly poison she wanted!

Innogen came through that test. Iachimo is up to no good. 

I am struggling to follow the dialogue. 

6 hours ago, Hayley said:

I read the notes and they really help with understanding the story. I, too, am having a little difficulty following the dialogue. Iachimo is a villain and did try to seduce Imogen to test her faithfulness and the trunk is suspicious, but not full of jewels, as we shall see. 

Not Shakespeare's strongest play, I'm thinking.

I once watched the film version of Richard III with Leo McKellen. The scene where Iachimo tried to seduce Innogen reminded me of the scene near the start of Richard III in which Richard seduced the wife of the man he had just killed. I did not think that was very likely, especially the Leo McKellen played him. 

10 hours ago, KEV67 said:

I once watched the film version of Richard III with Leo McKellen. The scene where Iachimo tried to seduce Innogen reminded me of the scene near the start of Richard III in which Richard seduced the wife of the man he had just killed. I did not think that was very likely, especially the Leo McKellen played him. 

I'm pretty certain that it was Sir Ian McKellen that played Richard III, I saw that film too, he was very good.

2 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I'm pretty certain that it was Sir Ian McKellen that played Richard III, I saw that film too, he was very good.

Yes, you're right, Ian McKellen. I did not think much of that film. I thought that scene was ridiculous. I could not understand why everyone thought he was so great when he seemed to be so creepy and horrible. I thought Maggie Smith was good. I liked the song, and being interested in aircraft, I liked the Blenheim bomber and the de Havilland Rapide. 

I thought Iachimo was going to rape Innogen. He doesn't, but he has a good look at her.

Also, I was disturbed that Innogen turns down the pages of the books she reads. I hope that doesn't mean she folds the corners down.

18 minutes ago, KEV67 said:

Yes, you're right, Ian McKellen. I did not think much of that film. I thought that scene was ridiculous. I could not understand why everyone thought he was so great when he seemed to be so creepy and horrible. I thought Maggie Smith was good. I liked the song, and being interested in aircraft, I liked the Blenheim bomber and the de Havilland Rapide. 

Not that I'm an expert but I was under the impression that the character of Richard III was creepy and horrible and that's why Sir Ian played him that way. I've seen Sir Ian McKellen in other things and he is a great actor, imho.

17 minutes ago, KEV67 said:

I thought Iachimo was going to rape Innogen. He doesn't, but he has a good look at her.

Also, I was disturbed that Innogen turns down the pages of the books she reads. I hope that doesn't mean she folds the corners down.

I didn't get the impression of rape, but he was unsuccessful in seducing her so he takes different steps. Haven't got to the books bit yet.

6 minutes ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Not that I'm an expert but I was under the impression that the character of Richard III was creepy and horrible and that's why Sir Ian played him that way. I've seen Sir Ian McKellen in other things and he is a great actor, imho.

I didn't get the impression of rape, but he was unsuccessful in seducing her so he takes different steps. Haven't got to the books bit yet.

Richard III was creepy and horrible, but no one could see through him except his mother. He was like Jimmy Savile. No one could see through him except Johnny Rotten.

I read in the introduction that the play could be subtle propaganda, or at least pleasing to the king. King James wanted to unite England and Scotland into one kingdom. Cymbeline introduces the idea of this island as Britain and the inhabitants as Britons.

The stolen bracelet reminds me of the stolen handkerchief in Othello. I thought a bit too much was made of the handkerchief, but a stolen bracelet would be more difficult to explain. In addition, his knowing of those marks on Innogen's breast would be very difficult to explain. 

There was a bit of fruity language in Act 2 Scene 3. When Victorians revived the play I wonder if they cut that out.

I was reading in the introduction that the play might be considered subtle propaganda on behalf of King James. King James wanted to unite the English and Scottish kingdoms. This play makes us think of ourselves as Britons.

I am finding this play sort of interesting. I have read De Bello Gallico by Julius Caesar. When it came to the British invasion, the bits I found most interesting were that the people of Kent coloured themselves blue, shaved themselves from the lower lip down, and shared wives between brothers.

I'm pulling out of this. The play just doesn't hold my interest. Sorry if that jeopardises the group read and I'm astonished myself at saying that a play by Shakespeare doesn't interest me but it doesn't so I'm out.

Thank you for bringing the play to my attention though, I'd never heard of it before.

Edited by lunababymoonchild