Your Book Activity - July 2022

On 18/07/2022 at 1:33 PM, muggle not said:

Charles Dickens has become one of my favorite writers of all time. I just love his writing.

Me too :). There's something I find comforting about his style (even though the subjects often aren't comforting!).

24 minutes ago, Chrissy said:

One day I hope to find that book, but until then I am happy to keep looking in a haphazard way, and leave it up to the Gods of Reading..

:giggle2:I hope you receive blessings from the Gods of Reading (or that the new signs and symbols book is really good). I also find signs and symbols really fascinating!

I'm still going with The Old Curiosity Shop. Had a few days of nearly no reading so I'm very keen to get back to it.

Completed Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus.  Took all of one day - galloped through it.  With the exception of one fairly brutal scene, I haven't had such an easy, enjoyable read, for a while - took all of a dayh to finish - even if one has to be willing to suspend disbelief on occasions!.  Loved it. 5/6.

Edited by willoyd

I recently finished reading “Every Cloak Rolled In Blood” by James Lee Burke (see my list of books read). In his book Burke stated that one of the best writers in the U.S. was A.B. Guthrie, Jr. Guthrie received a Pullitzer Prize in 1950 for his book “The Way West”. The Western Literature Association  considers The Big Sky, another of Guthrie’s books, the best “Western” book ever written.

A little over 16 years ago I gave to the library almost all my books, I think it was well over 200 that I had at that time. I kept a select number of books, included are the books written by A.B. Guthrie, Jr’.

Now, my problem. I have decided to re-read The Big Sky and The Way West but the print in my paperback copies of the books isn’t as big as what I have been using on my kindle and the library doesn’t have the books in Kindle format. I am going to give it a try reading the Paperback copies although I haven’t read anything except on my Kindle for many years.

Edited by muggle not

9 hours ago, muggle not said:

I recently finished reading “Every Cloak Rolled In Blood” by James Lee Burke (see my list of books read). In his book Burke stated that one of the best writers in the U.S. was A.B. Guthrie, Jr. Guthrie received a Pullitzer Prize in 1950 for his book “The Way West”. The Western Literature Association  considers The Big Sky, another of Guthrie’s books, the best “Western” book ever written.

A little over 16 years ago I gave to the library almost all my books, I think it was well over 200 that I had at that time. I kept a select number of books, included are the books written by A.B. Guthrie, Jr’.

Now, my problem. I have decided to re-read The Big Sky and The Way West but the print in my paperback copies of the books isn’t as big as what I have been using on my kindle and the library doesn’t have the books in Kindle format. I am going to give it a try reading the Paperback copies although I haven’t read anything except on my Kindle for many years.

Amazon USA sell the audiobook (Unabridged) of The Big Sky on a free trial with Audible or you can buy it. I believe, although yet to try it, that your Kindle reader will play (is that right?) audiobooks. They also sell the unabridged audiobook on CD for a more acceptable $3.99, if that's any help. Personally I'd reather read it but those are the options. The Kindle e-book is available over here, for some reason but can't be gifted outside the UK, which is what I was going to suggest. The Way West is available to buy (unabridged) on CD in the US. 

3 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Amazon USA sell the audiobook (Unabridged) of The Big Sky on a free trial with Audible or you can buy it. I believe, although yet to try it, that your Kindle reader will play (is that right?) audiobooks. They also sell the unabridged audiobook on CD for a more acceptable $3.99, if that's any help. Personally I'd reather read it but those are the options. The Kindle e-book is available over here, for some reason but can't be gifted outside the UK, which is what I was going to suggest. The Way West is available to buy (unabridged) on CD in the US. 

Thanks for the information. I tried audiobooks years ago and don't like them. I decided to read the paperbacks with the help of my eyeglasses. I am a little over 10% into The Big Sky and am loving the book. It has been over 20 years since I last read it. I am so glad that I am doing the re-read of it. It isn't just another book, it is a classic.

1 minute ago, muggle not said:

Thanks for the information. I tried audiobooks years ago and don't like them. I decided to read the paperbacks with the help of my eyeglasses. I am a little over 10% into The Big Sky and am loving the book. It has been over 20 years since I last read it. I am so glad that I am doing the re-read of it. It isn't just another book, it is a classic.

Oh good. I'm glad that you found a way and that you are enjoying it.

• Brian. unpinned this topic