What Are You Up To Today?

Virginia

22 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Took delivery of a new vacuum cleaner (hand held Dyson, just in case anyone wants to know) and it's fabulous so have been playing with that for a while (and yes, it makes a difference) and I also became the proud owner of a Kindle Paperwhite, so been playing with that for a while. I intend to play with that a lot longer today as I'm tired and need to sit down for a long while. I'm hoping that the battery lasts but it didn't take long to charge and it goes to sleep with the cover of the book I was reading on it, which is great (I'm so easily confused!). Bought Varney the Vampire in all of it's glory on e-book to celebrate. Two hundred and twenty chapters to go! That'll sort out any e-reader.

In my experience across a few different Kindle models the battery lasts a pretty long time. The way the tech works is that as long as you don't have the back light turned on, it only uses power to change the page. Once a page or image is on the screen it uses no power.

2 hours ago, Brian. said:

In my experience across a few different Kindle models the battery lasts a pretty long time. The way the tech works is that as long as you don't have the back light turned on, it only uses power to change the page. Once a page or image is on the screen it uses no power.

Oh good because I really like it!

I washed my land rover, took my pupper for a quick walk (heat) did a bit of shopping at Trader Joe's for our daughter, and picked up a dual dash-cam for both of our trucks along with the complete seasons of Northern Exposure! Now I'm home and did a "mini spa" day for our date tonight.

3 hours ago, Virginia said:

I washed my land rover, took my pupper for a quick walk (heat) did a bit of shopping at Trader Joe's for our daughter, and picked up a dual dash-cam for both of our trucks along with the complete seasons of Northern Exposure! Now I'm home and did a "mini spa" day for our date tonight.

Where did you find the Complete Seasons of Northern Exposure? That is one of my favorite TV Series. Does it have the original music in it. I heard that the "copies" of NT have different music.

Northern Exposure! Gosh, that takes me back. 

I have been really busy of late, but with super hot weather due to hit the UK for a few days, I have tried to get ahead of my tasks lists a little, so I can take things fairly easy over the next day or two. 

It is very hot here and I've spent, in total, an entire hour sitting at my laptop waiting for very late people to join meetings!! But I have the afternoon off, so I'm going to sit in front of a fan now and not move for a while.

Don't forget to drink plenty of water everyone!

On 7/16/2022 at 7:27 PM, muggle not said:

Where did you find the Complete Seasons of Northern Exposure? That is one of my favorite TV Series. Does it have the original music in it. I heard that the "copies" of NT have different music.

I found it at Walmart, believe it or not! They have kind of a nostalgia section with complete seasons of lots of old shows, like Mash, Waltons, Andy Griffin. This looks to be the original based off the library copies I've rented.

Edited by Virginia

We did not reach the dizzying heights reached in England and Wales today but it was, and still is, very hot. I do hope that the forecasters are right and it's only going to be for 2 days. I'm old enough to remember the heatwave of 1976 and we thought it was glorious. It went on for the whole summer, although I did complain about the heat. Those were the days of cheesecloth clothing (I had a very fetching shirt/blouse garment and it was very cool to wear in the heat (my skin is too fair to expose to sunlight and there was no such thing as factor 50 in those days)) and love beads (which I adored).

One down and one to go, stay safe everyone!

Edited by lunababymoonchild

On 7/17/2022 at 8:22 AM, Virginia said:

Loved Northern Exposure! 

No it wasn't quite as hot as they predicted - honestly one of the weather forecasters was practically hysterical on Sunday, all he needed was a black cap and a scythe.....  Last night had a bit of a breeze so I actually slept fairly well (by my normal standards anyway).  It's quite breezy today but the air is very warm so it doesn't cool things down.

I remember summer '76, I was quite young so spent most of it in my paddling pool - bliss!

Stay safe everyone.

It feels al bit hotter today here than it did yesterday, probably my imagination. I have retreated to a slightly cooler part of the house. I did manage to water the plants, put out the rubbish and fill the bird feeder before it got searingly hot. I am now exhausted!

I was idly listening in to a TV program my father ended up watching (Law and Order, don't know which one) and the Third Man was mentioned. Orson Welles was also mentioned so it was the one I was thinking of. I read the book and saw the film but the story described in the episode wasn't the story that I recall so I sought it out on Kindle, having given my paper book away, and found a version that included not only the book but stills and clips from the film too. It can't be download to my new Kindle but can to my tablet so I did and it's amazing! The future of e-books imho. I talso seemed fitting that it's in black and white.

I think it was hotter here, as there was a breeze but it was hot air!  It seems to be cooling down a bit now, so I'll do my watering soon.  Despite the heat my tomatoes are all still green!  

After the stultifying heat of yesterday (106 degrees, in old money!) it is much more pleasant today. Still hot, but much more tolerable. I am planning (and intend doing) as little as possible today, aside from essential cooking. No chores that won't keep until tomorrow, nothing socially, so a pleasant and relaxing day|!

23 minutes ago, timebug said:

After the stultifying heat of yesterday (106 degrees, in old money!) it is much more pleasant today. Still hot, but much more tolerable. I am planning (and intend doing) as little as possible today, aside from essential cooking. No chores that won't keep until tomorrow, nothing socially, so a pleasant and relaxing day|!

We did not get stutifyingly hot yesterday or the day before I'm glad to say but we will also be doing as little as possible and doing that all day. We are exhausted and neither of us slept that well either.

Last night was so hot, really muggy.  We had a tiny bit of rain around 8.00, and maybe one rumble of thunder.  Today is cooler and breezier but still pretty hot.

didn't sleep much last night either!

Edited by Madeleine

13 hours ago, muggle not said:

I watched this incredible video of a man catching a toddler that fell from a fifth storey window, amazing.

Passer-by catches toddler from sky who fell from fifth-storey window | Watch (msn.com)

I saw that too.  Well held that man!

We have had a good amount of rain yesterday and today and the temperature is very comfortable indeed.  I was moved to put on a pair of socks yesterday (and today) and my father had his zipped up, fleece lined, jacket on last night (not really a good bench mark for temperature my father, he's cold all the time!). I hope that's all we'll get om the way of super-hot temperature this year but the Met office think there could be another heat-wave in August.  The trouble with the heat is that the vast majority of the greater going public in this country enjoy it especially if it means that they don't have to go abroad to get it. Which does not auger well for climate change action.

I've been battling covid symptoms the past few days. My daughter's family all have it, except her husband because his work requires him to travel. So there are 7 people (one adult, six kids) in one home with it, the youngest being 5 and just exhibited symptoms. I've tested almost every day and while it says negative, I am asymptomatic. I'm around the children almost daily so there's no way for me to really avoid it. 

I went and picked up meds and drinks for my littlest one and brought back two children with me. They are over the worst and are on the mend. I have them settled in the sunroom. They will have to stay away from their papa tho as he's healthy.

I thought I wanted to read but I can't get into a book yet. I feel tired and restless at the same time. And the body aches are killer. Guess I'll dose off and on for the rest of the day.

16 hours ago, Virginia said:

I've been battling covid symptoms the past few days.

Oh no, Virginia!! Make sure you take good care of yourself. Drink plenty of water and get plenty of rest. My sister just had it and she swore Berocca made her feel a lot better (probably because it helped the tiredness a bit). I hope the symptoms pass for you and your family soon!

On 28/07/2022 at 3:39 PM, Virginia said:

I've been battling covid symptoms the past few days.

I was laid up with it last week. I was lucky. This week I am fine, aside from feeling ridiculously tired. Every little thing I do requires resting afterwards. It was separate bedrooms and me wearing a mask indoors to prevent husband catching it. That was fun! 

Rest, rest, rest. Take naps, lounge about and let your body get on with fighting this horrible virus. I took paracetemol (tylenol?) before bed, and during the day when I needed it. What got me through was lots of drinks (all kinds except alcohol), ice lollies (do you call them pops or popsicles in the US?), jelly (jello?) lots of fruit, and one night, a plate of chunky chips (Thick cut french fries).

I hope you all get better very soon. I will be thinking of you all. :flowers2:

Edited by Chrissy

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2022 at 2:05 PM, Chrissy said:

I was laid up with it last week. I was lucky. This week I am fine, aside from feeling ridiculously tired. Every little thing I do requires resting afterwards. It was separate bedrooms and me wearing a mask indoors to prevent husband catching it. That was fun! 

Rest, rest, rest. Take naps, lounge about and let your body get on with fighting this horrible virus. I took paracetemol (tylenol?) before bed, and during the day when I needed it. What got me through was lots of drinks (all kinds except alcohol), ice lollies (do you call them pops or popsicles in the US?), jelly (jello?) lots of fruit, and one night, a plate of chunky chips (Thick cut french fries).

I hope you all get better very soon. I will be thinking of you all. :flowers2:

I'm so glad you're doing better. I had a few symptoms but kept testing negative. Even after caring for a few of the littles at our home, we both tested negative. Our son on the other hand, tested positive but he's not sure how he may have gotten it. 

We just got back from our second cruise this year. Hubby booked it for my birthday. We went to Freeport (yuck) and Bimini (loved it). Got back Monday to the sick son who was recouping at his girlfriends house. It was really bad timing as he was supposed to start his new job at a new site on Sunday. As soon as he tests negative, he and my son-in-law will fly out together (they are in the wind turbine field). 

As with any return from any time away from home, I had to spend the first few days getting things back to normal. My mom drove down from Virginia to house/dog sit. It also gave her time with the grands. There was just a minimum of housework that I needed to do as I'm a particular housekeeper to get it back to "my" normal. Then there was the homemade soup to be made, the plants to be watered, and vacation laundry to be done. All of which was done the day we returned! 

I managed to get in yesterday to have my gel nail polish removed, walked my boy at the state park, did grocery shopping and had the oil changed in the SUV. I can actually do nothing the rest of the week if I choose. Dinner will be pho w/shrimp so pretty simple and easy to put together. I'll be watching (or letting the tv) tv watch me and flipping thru the magazines I didn't read while on the cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful Rainbow last night. I have never seen one so bright. Actually it was a double rainbow. My photo doesn't do it justice.

TV had a photo of the rainbow on the news last night. They said that it was a perfect rainbow. Bright and spectacular.

Photo 1.JPG

Photo 4.JPG

Edited by muggle not
  • Like 3