What Are You Up To Today?

Virginia

Thought I'd start a new topic. What's everyone up to today? Did you put any new books on your TBR list? Did you BUY or check out any new books? Are you working today? Going to school? Shopping? Vacationing? Visiting?

I'm moving some inspirational books from my office to my sitting area in the sunroom (conservatory) so that I will remember to read them. It's also a space where I will be more inspired to write. The office just doesn't do it, even with a lovely view. 

I'm also waiting to hear from the auto repair shop. We bought a Range Rover a few weeks ago and found out that this particular year has a recall on the gas tank edge. The dealer had to fit us in as every Land Rover dealership within 300 miles is backed up till the end of August. The smell of gas was giving me a headache!

After I pick it up, I plan to come home and stay put. I've got "admin work" to do for a neighborhood meeting, and do some financial paperwork. A rainy day is the best day to do the dull and dreary work.

I also have a book by Kathryn R. Wall I want to get into. It's called In For A Penny. It's set in my hometown and it's a mystery so I want to read and get some ideas on how to write local fictional books.

So, what are y'all getting up to today?

I'm watching Wimbledon, which I do every year. I'm a carer and live with my caree so that's an as and when type of occupation. I can watch Wimbledon on my tablet and my caree - father -  can watch TV. He needs headphones for that anyway so I can listen without headphones and that means he doesn't get overwhelmed by the constant tennis.

I need to tidy up and do other chores but after I see Djokovic at Wimbledon. Also need to buy some car tax. It's a rainy kind of day so neither of us wants to go out.

I had our car serviced and MOTd on 20 June and need to get dental and optical checkups arranged for both of us (but can't be bothered right now). 

I'm reading a novel set in my home town and in the 1970s, during which I grew up, so very familiar with time period and place.

As for the TBR, I lost control of that years ago and I still buy books so that's never-ending. 

Edited by lunababymoonchild

6 hours ago, Virginia said:

I'm also waiting to hear from the auto repair shop. We bought a Range Rover a few weeks ago and found out that this particular year has a recall on the gas tank edge. The dealer had to fit us in as every Land Rover dealership within 300 miles is backed up till the end of August. The smell of gas was giving me a headache!

That's really bad! I hope they call back with good news and it's all sorted!

2 hours ago, France said:

Hanging around and wiating to see if we're all going down with Covid, my middle daughter discovered she'd had it after coming to lunch on Sunday. Fingers crossed all round.

Oh no! :( I'll keep mine crossed too!

4 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I can watch Wimbledon on my tablet and my caree - father -  can watch TV. He needs headphones for that anyway so I can listen without headphones and that means he doesn't get overwhelmed by the constant tennis.

The perfect balance :) I hope you enjoyed it!

I've been doing a combination of work things: tutoring in the morning (talking about structure in poetry, then analysing Exposure by Wilfred Owen, then essay writing), admin, then writing a conference paper for the end of the week. The conference will be the first group thing I've done in person since the start of the pandemic, so I'm expecting that to be quite weird! I've also been talking to the developer who's going to help us with the forum. I just need to save a load of files as an additional backup and then he's going to go in and try to clear all of our unused bits (it shouldn't have any obvious effect on the forum, it's staying online throughout). 

I just have a couple more things to organise and a bit more writing I want to do before it's pyjamas and book time (Amongst our Weapons, which I can tell is about to get to a really good bit!).

It's been a busy and productive week. The Land Rover situation has been taken care of. I had the GMC detailed after its visit to the shop. The four-legged boy has been groomed (by me), the shopping done, and end of the month budget has been handled. The grandchildren have been here since yesterday and I took them to the park, fed and gotten them bathed and ready for an evening of movies and crafts. I am now relaxing for the remainder of the weekend. 

A quiet relaxed sunday for me! Had a visit from my lovely Grandaughter yesterday, who has been coming on Saturdays for years, but now she has left school and started work, her weekends are not always free! In turn I visited an old friend and put the world to rights for an hour; so today, nothing special planned. May go for a walk later, depending on the weather. It is looking ominous at the moment, with dark clouds scudding across the sky. I will enjoy preparing (and eating!) my Sunday lunch, as ever; and maybe watch a bit of old classic TV on my streaming device!

I ended up watching one match on the TV and another on my tablet at the same time, last night. I started with the Nadal match on TV but the BBC decided to switch over to the Kygios match because he was creating more trouble than usual.  I turned to my tablet for the Nadal match and my father decided to leave the room and have a DVD upstairs so I ended up with both, which I watched until the end. It would seem that Djokovic will be playing last today too so who knows what will happen?

I started my bargello embroidery yesterday and it's a joy. Never done this before but it's making a revival - my father did it in the seventies - and this kit was being sold by one of my favourite crochet companies so I thought I'd have a go. It's only a set of coasters but good for a beginner.

Started a new book on Friday, The Social Distance Between Us by fellow Glaswegian Darren McGarvey. It's a non-fiction book about poverty and the fact that those who are running the country have no idea how to fix it and whether or not they want to.  McGarvey is a social commentator who came from an impoverished background and is now decidedly middle class - which he hates - and an addict (both drugs and alcohol) but has an original way of phrasing it. He's also highly intelligent, imho, which is what interests me. 

My Sunday is unfolding as every other Sunday unfolds, except for Wimbledon, but that's OK, I like it like that.

It's a quiet Sunday as well. Dinner is prepped, the house is clean and the grandchildren are entertained. Hubby and I are currently watching Pompeii. It's been a scorcher most of the afternoon but the clouds are darkening and preparing for a storm this evening. 

I'm glad you all had a nice, relaxing Sunday! I managed to get more reading time in today than I have in ages, so I was very happy with that! I've now finished Amongst Our Weapons, so I'll be posting a review of that shortly (spoiler: it was excellent :lol:). Also ate a lot of Sunday dinner (with roast potatoes and Yorkshire pudding!), plus chocolate cake. Now I'm going to put my pyjamas on and pick out my next book!

I recently became president of my neighborhood homeowner's association. As I'm starting from scratch (the old president moved away) because it was so convoluted and militant, I'm revamping it. I finally got my Facebook page set up and have spent the morning posting PSAs. I don't have the members yet because many are older and I have to get the word out. But, it's at least ready!

Yesterday I spent a lot of time during the day just getting things done. Chores etc. Then spent the evening watching Nadal win at Wimbledon. Did not sleep very well and decided to rest today. I cleaned and refilled the bird-feeder, watered the outside plants and took out the rubbish - a lot harder than it sounds because it now has to be split up between four different outdoor bins (I designed a whole bin calendar, now on our fridge, to accommodate the time-table as keeping it in our heads just wasn't working). Then I settled down to watch Djokovic win at Wimbledon. This took more than three hours!  

As a result of the Wimbledon schedule I have only just picked up my book, for the first time in four days. Still, semi-finals are next so not long to go.

I travelled back to the UK from Germany yesterday after a short trip to go to an Iron Maiden gig in Berlin. Although it wasn't as bad as some stories reported in the media I would avoid Gatwick airport if you can, especially during the up-coming school holidays. Once we landed it took an hour for an airbridge to be attached to the aircraft to allow us to get off. Today I will be having a good tidy up, doing some laundry, doing a workout, and if I get time I will pop out with my new camera to use it it for the first time in the wild.

Yesterday I went in to the local barber's shop and asked them if they could do a buzz cut on me. They said yes and in 15 or so minutes the job was done. I'm so very relieved to have been relieved of my hair it's unbelievable. 

Today, I did some more Bargello sewing, read some of me book and watched the Djokovic match. 

On 06/07/2022 at 8:39 AM, Brian. said:

I travelled back to the UK from Germany yesterday after a short trip to go to an Iron Maiden gig in Berlin.

I'm very jealous, was it amazing? Did they have giant Eddie?

33 minutes ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Yesterday I went in to the local barber's shop and asked them if they could do a buzz cut on me. They said yes and in 15 or so minutes the job was done. I'm so very relieved to have been relieved of my hair it's unbelievable. 

If it's been as hot for you as it has here today, I can definitely see why that would feel so nice! 

Although I was stuck inside at my laptop for quite a while today, I did manage to get a bit of time sitting outside with my book and a cold chocolate milkshake, which was very nice :)

Not today, but Wednesday I went berry picking. I picked 6 quart of Blueberries and 2 quart of blackberries. The previous week I picked 4 quart of blackberries and 2 quart of blueberries. My wife's niece was visiting and her and I ate a ton of blueberries and blackberries, sooooo good.

2 hours ago, Hayley said:

I'm very jealous, was it amazing? Did they have giant Eddie?

It's the 5th time I've seen Iron Maiden, the 3rd time in Germany (once in Belgium, once in the UK) and they were great as they always are. The did indeed have a giant Eddie, this time as a demonic samurai.

I did a nice walk with my group, alongside a couple of small rivers in Hertfordshire - saw lots of young birds - ducklings, cygnets, coot, moorhen and swans - at various stages of development, a few gorgeous dragonflies, and there were even some fish in the river!  We had a nice lunch, the last bit was very hot, despite a cloudy start to the day, and the train journey there and back took about 3 times as long as it should have done, thanks to engineering works, which wasn't on the company's website.  A nice day out though.

20 hours ago, muggle not said:

Not today, but Wednesday I went berry picking. I picked 6 quart of Blueberries and 2 quart of blackberries. The previous week I picked 4 quart of blackberries and 2 quart of blueberries. My wife's niece was visiting and her and I ate a ton of blueberries and blackberries, sooooo good.

What a haul! Yum. The blackberries aren't ready here yet but I'm looking forward to getting some!

18 hours ago, Brian. said:

It's the 5th time I've seen Iron Maiden, the 3rd time in Germany (once in Belgium, once in the UK) and they were great as they always are. The did indeed have a giant Eddie, this time as a demonic samurai.

I've only seen recording of their live performances but they always look incredible - so powerful and full of energy. The effort that must go in to all of the staging and props too! Do you have a favourite performance of the ones you've been to?

55 minutes ago, Madeleine said:

I did a nice walk with my group, alongside a couple of small rivers in Hertfordshire - saw lots of young birds - ducklings, cygnets, coot, moorhen and swans - at various stages of development, a few gorgeous dragonflies, and there were even some fish in the river! 

This sounds idyllic. Ignoring the very long train journey it does, anyway :lol: I'm glad it didn't ruin the day for you!

I had a couple of work things I was meant to be doing to today rescheduled so, instead of getting jobs in the house done (as I really should have) I sat and read all of Tehanu by Ursula Le Guin. I did feel a bit guilty but, honestly, it was great. I'm going to stare at my physical tbr for a while now and decide what to read next!

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

I've only seen recording of their live performances but they always look incredible - so powerful and full of energy. The effort that must go in to all of the staging and props too! Do you have a favourite performance of the ones you've been to?

The first time I saw them in Berlin was probably my favourite. They played loads of tracks that I like and the sound quality was top notch. I always find it hard to believe that they are all well into in their 60’s now (and one 70) and still manage to put out such a high energy show. Every time I see them I always think it will be the last. 

Took delivery of a new vacuum cleaner (hand held Dyson, just in case anyone wants to know) and it's fabulous so have been playing with that for a while (and yes, it makes a difference) and I also became the proud owner of a Kindle Paperwhite, so been playing with that for a while. I intend to play with that a lot longer today as I'm tired and need to sit down for a long while. I'm hoping that the battery lasts but it didn't take long to charge and it goes to sleep with the cover of the book I was reading on it, which is great (I'm so easily confused!). Bought Varney the Vampire in all of it's glory on e-book to celebrate. Two hundred and twenty chapters to go! That'll sort out any e-reader.

Edited by lunababymoonchild

We got a Dyson recently, it's so much lighter and gets right under awkward bits like shelf units, TV unit etc, and it's great not having to keep unplugging it and moving to another plug in different rooms, and not to have to worry about chewing up the cable!  Ours is a full size one though you can switch it to hand held as well.