Your Book Activity - June 2022

• Brian. pinned this topic

Poppy and muggle not recommended Alan Bradley's Flavia De Luce series to me, just as I was seeking a read-alongside book to accompany my slow reading of Anthony Burgess' Earthly Powers. Five Chapters in and I am loving it! the character of Flavia is an utter delight. 

I think the Burgess re read will be taking me a bit longer than I initially planned. :)

13 hours ago, Chrissy said:

Poppy and muggle not recommended Alan Bradley's Flavia De Luce series to me, just as I was seeking a read-alongside book to accompany my slow reading of Anthony Burgess' Earthly Powers. Five Chapters in and I am loving it! the character of Flavia is an utter delight. 

I think the Burgess re read will be taking me a bit longer than I initially planned. :)

I just KNEW you'd love Flavia! So happy :yahoo:

Do we have a book lists thread here? 

Given that Book Group is closing on the 6th, and I quite like logging what I'm reading (without having to scroll through my book blog), it might be a good thread to have as a sticky.

3 hours ago, Hux said:

Given that Book Group is closing on the 6th, and I quite like logging what I'm reading (without having to scroll through my book blog), it might be a good thread to have as a sticky.

What I do is that I keep my list of books on the first page of my blog and copy the URL into my About Me section of my profile so that I can just add my latest read to that. 

If I write a review I put it on the main forum as we do on BGO.

This saves me scrolling through my personal blog to find out what I've read this year. 

I offer this as a suggestion only and hope it might be helpful.

11 hours ago, Hux said:

I'm basically reiterating Luna here but yes most of us keep a book list on our blog thread, so we've never set up a separate section for them (although it's an interesting idea!). 

On 6/1/2022 at 2:38 PM, Chrissy said:

On 6/2/2022 at 4:17 AM, poppy said:

I just KNEW you'd love Flavia! So happy :yahoo:

Glad that you are enjoying Flavia. You have a lot of nice reading ahead. 

Finished Anne Patchett's The Dutch House late last night - started around 5 and finished just before 10, a genuine one-sitting read (apart from getting up for the loo and a drink!).  Initially reading a bit against my inclination - just not in the mood but need to read for a book group next week, and found it increasingly compulsive.  A really good read, with an interesting insight into families and obsessions.  4+ stars out of 6.

21 hours ago, willoyd said:

Finished Anne Patchett's The Dutch House late last night - started around 5 and finished just before 10, a genuine one-sitting read (apart from getting up for the loo and a drink!).  Initially reading a bit against my inclination - just not in the mood but need to read for a book group next week, and found it increasingly compulsive.  A really good read, with an interesting insight into families and obsessions.  4+ stars out of 6.

I agree, this was compulsive reading. It's one I would be happy to reread if it came up for a book group choice.

I read Patrick Gale's Mother's Boy in under two days (I was working too). It's wonderfully written and he has the knack of making characters who are not always very likeable extremely sympathetic. Loved it.

On the other hand The House in the Cerulean Sea  by TJ Klune which I wanted to read for ages was so overloaded with syrup that it could have given you diabetes. Childishly written too. I gave up.

Haven't been reading much, as we were away (properly and for 4 nights!), and I was too tired in the evening to read. I have come home with a few guide books and a photo of a book my son had that I would love to have, Signs & Symbols Source Book. 

I have spent the past few days catching up with myself, so hope to be reading some more of the delightful Sweetness At The Bottom Of The Pie

I'm still reading The Count of Monte Cristo. I have about 1/5 left to read. I am really enjoying it. Admittedly, I got a bit lost at one stage during it so I sat it down for about a week, then picked it back up again. 

I was unexpectedly struck by the need to read today and as a result I’m halfway through So Much Things to Say by Roger Steffens. It’s an ‘oral history of Bob Marley’ and although I think I would have preferred a more conventional biography I am enjoying it a lot. I’m also almost finished with my latest James Bond book, Scorpius by John Gardner.

A bit earlier this month I bought The Time Traveller's Almanac (such a pretty cover!) and A Spotter's Guide to Countryside Mysteries by John Wright. Also received The Stardust Thief by Chelsea Abdullah as a gift :).

13 hours ago, muggle not said:

Started reading Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch. The more I read the Rivers of London series the more I enjoy the books. Delightful reading.

Whispers Underground was a really good book, so I think you will love it. It’s the best of the series for me. :)

Giving up on E. Nesbit’s The Lark for the time being, as the characters & the style of the novel grates on my nerves! :( :lol:

So started on Jacqueline Winspear’s An incomplete Revenge (#5 Maisie Dobbs series).