Muggle Not's Reading - 2022

muggle not

On 7/29/2022 at 9:17 AM, Hayley said:

Should this be Raymond? :) (I can change it if you want). I read Raymond Chandler as part of my university course and I think it kind of ruined the experience for me. I was trying to read it too quickly alongside other things and I get it mixed up in my mind with Chester Himes. I feel like I should go back to it though because I love a good mystery! I don't think the Philip Marlowe series needs to be read in order, does it?

I think it helps to read them in order but it isn't really necessary. But, there are only 7 books in the series so it is nice to start at the beginning and take your time going through the whole series. :) I have gone back and corrected my goof on his name. At my age I am allowed a few of those. :)

On 7/29/2022 at 1:44 PM, Chrissy said:

Two great ones from the PI's PI, Phillip Marlowe;

Neither of the two people in the room paid any attention to the way I came in, although only one of them was dead. (The Big Sleep)

The girl gave him a look which ought to have stuck at least four inches out of his back. (The Long Goodbye)

The second one makes me chuckle whenever I read it. I know girls like that, and the looks they throw! :lol:

Chandler grows on you as the more of him you read the more you like his writing. 

Edited by muggle not

19. Every Cloak Rolled In Blood  (A Holland Family Saga)– James Lee Burke – 4/5

Burke believes that this book is the best that he has written (and he has written over 40 novels).

Amazon:

In his most autobiographical novel to date, James Lee Burke continues the epic Holland family saga with a writer grieving the death of his daughter while battling earthly and supernatural outlaws.

Drawn from James Lee Burke’s own life experiences, Every Cloak Rolled in Blood is a devastating exploration of the nature of good and evil and a deeply moving story about the power of love and family.

(In real life Burke’s daughter recently died and Burke has taken her death extremely hard. He has stated in an interview that his daughter, while he was grieving, helped him write "Every Cloak Rolled In Blood". Burke is one of my favorite current writers.

On 29/07/2022 at 6:44 PM, Chrissy said:

Two great ones from the PI's PI, Phillip Marlowe;

Neither of the two people in the room paid any attention to the way I came in, although only one of them was dead. (The Big Sleep)

The girl gave him a look which ought to have stuck at least four inches out of his back. (The Long Goodbye)

The second one makes me chuckle whenever I read it. I know girls like that, and the looks they throw! :lol:

These are both excellent :lol:

On 30/07/2022 at 3:03 AM, muggle not said:

There are only 7 books in the series so it is nice to start at the beginning and take your time going through the whole seires. 

I don't know why but I thought there'd be more than that! I will start at the beginning then (once I've gotten through some of my current book pile!).

20. The Big Sky - A.B. Guthrie, Jr - 5/5 - This book has been voted the best book of the West by the Western literature Association. I tend to agree with their selection. The main person in the book is Boone Caudill (along with Jim Deakins and Dick Summers). They all become Mountain Men in the 1830's and are trappers, explorers, and basically live off the land and fight for survival . Guthrie's description is one of the best that I have read. It makes you feel like you are part of their experiences. 

• 2 weeks later...

21. The Way West - A.B. Guthrie, Jr - 5/5 - Guthrie was given a Pulitzer Prize for this book in 1950. I believe it certainly deserved it. The writing in this book is simply great. The book describes a wagon train in the 1830's that travels from Missouri to Oregon on what eventually becomes the Oregon Trail. A journey of over 2000 miles. A book of historical fiction. Guthrie also wrote the screenplay for the Movie "Shane' who some consider the best Western movie ever made.

Edited by muggle not

• 2 weeks later...

22. Poodle Springs - Raymond Chandler & Robert B. Parker - 4/5 - This book was started by Raymond Chandler but I understand that he only wrote a small portion of the book before his passing. Many years later his widow asked Robert B. Parker to complete the writing. Robert B. Parker is one of my favorites, I believe I have read all of his books. Parker has done a good job completing the book. The book starts with Phil Marlowe being married to a rich woman but Marlowe doesn't want to live off her money and continues in his P.I. profession to his wife's consternation.

• 4 weeks later...

23. Three Famous Short Novels - William Faulkner - 4/5 - Good reading but didn't enjoy them as much as the other novels.

24. Hell and Back (Longmire Series) - Craig Johnson - 3.5/5 - I think he got a little off track with this book and it wasn't near as enjoyable as the other books in the s, very good Longmire Series.eries.

• 2 weeks later...

25. Fox Creek - William Kent Krueger - 4/5 - I really like Krueger's writing and stories. This is another book in the Cork O'Connor series. Most all of which I have liked. This book more or less centers on ancient Ojibwe healer Henry Meloux (105 yrs old)

Edited by muggle not

• 2 weeks later...

26. Lullaby - Robert B. Parker's "Spencer" Series written by Ace Atkins who is continuing the writing of Robert B. Parker after Parker's passing. I give the book a 4/5.

P.I. Spencer takes on a case for a 14 year old giirl and accepts a dozen donuts as payment. The 14 yr old wants Spencer to find the true murderer of her mother who was killed when the girl was 10 yrs old. She says the police arrested and convicted the wrong person and she wants Spencer to find the real killer. It leads to some real tough mobsters being involved.

• 1 month later...

28. Broken Homes (River of London series) - Ben Aaronovitch - 4/5 -I really enjoyed parts of this book and parts made me sad like the part of Sky. I now have to read the next book in the series to find out about Lesley.

29. Dream Town - David Baldacci - 4.5/5 - I really enjoyed this book. As I mentioned previously, it reminds me of a Philip Marlowe novel. This is actually book #3 in the Archer series and I believe there will be more to come. Dream Town took place in the early 50's and Baldacci did an excellent job of re-creating the happenings and people from that era. Most of the book took place in and around Hollywood with actors/actresses frequently mentioned in the story. Good read.

Now I will start reading The Passenger by Cormac McCarthy. I also have book 2 of this 2 book series on hold at the library as they recently bought it at my suggestion. I am anxious to start The Passenger as Cormac is another of my favorite authors. One rview of the book states that the reviewer will probably read it another 3 times to fully understand it and he looks forward to the re-reads as he enjoyed it that much.