2021 Updates and Improvements

Hayley

11 hours ago, Kudz said:

I’ve only been back on the forum a little over a week and my biggest take from my short time being here is just how quiet things are.  I’d say the biggest thing putting people off from returning is lack of interaction on the board. I have tried to visit most days – I think there has only been one or maybe two days at most that I haven’t visited – and there hasn’t been any more than about 6 new posts each time I visit, and this is on a good day, and usually a couple of these are in the game’s threads. There must be at least a dozen regular visitors though that I can see as being online, just not much posting from them.

10 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I know that I'd like to hear a suggestion on improving that. It's much quieter on BGO and I can't think of how to improve that

It's definitely an issue here but it's something I hope will improve once we've gotten all of our technical issues sorted - and we have a few things to try out once that happens :). Luna - if we manage to discover the secret I'll let you know!

On 20/03/2022 at 10:30 PM, Hayley said:

It's definitely an issue here but it's something I hope will improve once we've gotten all of our technical issues sorted - and we have a few things to try out once that happens :)

The latter part of that sentence sounds intriguing.

Whilst I was perusing some of the older threads, I came across this one from 2009 – click here - and was wondering if this is something we could pursue as part of the book club as it wouldn’t be as constrictive as a conventional book club. It could be something like the Richard & Judy book club where we pick half a dozen or more titles, release the names of the selections in one go and then members can read whichever books suit them, when they want, and post their thoughts in the appropriate book thread. I’m thinking we could pick a mixture of new releases and older titles, along with a mixture of genres, and hopefully we could cover all bases. I personally would probably read all the selections as I want to broaden my reading horizons and read things out of my comfort zone, but it wouldn’t be as constrictive as a normal book club as you could read them in any order, back-to-back or spread them out over the course of the year.

I don’t know, I just thought it was an interesting idea and one it seems that the original owner of the board was obviously considering at one time or another.

Edited by Kudz

9 hours ago, Kudz said:

It could be something like the Richard & Judy book club where we pick half a dozen or more titles, release the names of the selections in one go and then members can read whichever books suit them, when they want, and post their thoughts in the appropriate book thread.

I really like this idea. I'm not sure how we would decide on the books though (and it doesn't look like anybody worked that out when it was raised as an idea before!). Would we have a selection of suggestions, by anybody who wanted to participate, and then narrow them down by voting? 

On 27/03/2022 at 9:08 PM, Hayley said:

Would we have a selection of suggestions, by anybody who wanted to participate, and then narrow them down by voting? 

To be honest I’m not sure, but I do quite like the idea of having multiple selections for a set period, rather than just picking one at a time. It does need a bit of thought and some planning though but once the initial works been done, we’d be good to go for a while before having to pick again.

Maybe those that are interested can brainstorm some ideas together to see how best to do so. I guess we would need to figure out the time period (6 months, a year), and how many books we’re aiming for during that period, and then take it from there as to how we pick the initial selection of books.

• 1 month later...
On 29/01/2022 at 11:16 AM, megustaleer said:

BGO is still struggling on, but there are still only a few remaining members posting with any sort of regularity.  The admin who attempted a rescue is still minded to continue, but how the situation can be improved is beyond me. I expect I will be one of the few who remain until the end.

Bookgroup Online has reached the end of the road and will close on June 6th.

16 hours ago, megustaleer said:

Bookgroup Online has reached the end of the road and will close on June 6th.

I got an email to say they were closing (I must have joined one time) and I was sorry for you all too. It's really hard when you get to know people so well over time ... it feels like losing family 🥺

1 hour ago, poppy said:

I got an email to say they were closing (I must have joined one time) and I was sorry for you all too. It's really hard when you get to know people so well over time ... it feels like losing family 🥺

I think you joined when it looked like this forum would close.

It is sad that it's over but for the last year there have been only 5 or 6 of us actually turning up/posting and then only occasionally so mostly everybody had moved on and we haven't been a community for a very long time. 

• 2 months later...

I haven’t been around for a while but just wanted to say what a lovely surprise it was to pop on here this morning and find the much talked about update has finally happened.  I’m still working my way through everything that I have missed whilst I have been away, but the site itself is looking great. It’s very fresh and inviting looking! Let’s hope it will encourage people to join and, more importantly, stay.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was just wondering if you had given any more thought to a Book Club Forum Book Club. With the new year just around the corner I thought it would be the ideal opportunity to start putting some plans into action if anyone was still interested.

On 10/23/2022 at 9:30 AM, Kudz said:

I was just wondering if you had given any more thought to a Book Club Forum Book Club. With the new year just around the corner I thought it would be the ideal opportunity to start putting some plans into action if anyone was still interested.

I have! Don’t say new year is just around the corner though… that’s scary 🙈.

There is another ‘event’ I would like to propose before the end of the year - more details in another thread, but I wondered whether people might like to take part in a Christmas reading group. Unlike the Victober group, this one wouldn’t be limited by a time period, but by a theme, and I think that might be a good experiment for the future book club? 

If we kept it seasonal, that’s 4 ‘book club’ books per year, or one every 3 months. Does that sound good to others?

We’re not all in the same hemisphere, so I don’t necessarily think the themes should always be related to the season, but it gives us a clear schedule. Towards the end of each season, participating members could suggest a theme (preferably, I’m thinking, with at least one suggestion for a book that fits with the theme) and then we can vote via a poll. 

I think this is a really nice idea. I have been feeling disconnected from the forum for a while now (my own 'stuff' - not to do with the forum AT ALL), and this would be a lovely way to reconnect.

So a purely selfishly motivated 'Yes!' from me. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hayley said:

I have! Don’t say new year is just around the corner though… that’s scary 🙈.

There is another ‘event’ I would like to propose before the end of the year - more details in another thread, but I wondered whether people might like to take part in a Christmas reading group. Unlike the Victober group, this one wouldn’t be limited by a time period, but by a theme, and I think that might be a good experiment for the future book club? 

If we kept it seasonal, that’s 4 ‘book club’ books per year, or one every 3 months. Does that sound good to others?

We’re not all in the same hemisphere, so I don’t necessarily think the themes should always be related to the season, but it gives us a clear schedule. Towards the end of each season, participating members could suggest a theme (preferably, I’m thinking, with at least one suggestion for a book that fits with the theme) and then we can vote via a poll. 

Good idea. I'm in

• Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 8:19 PM, Hayley said:

Don’t say new year is just around the corner though… that’s scary 🙈.

Sorry! 9 weeks today is New Year's Eve though, so it's not that far away!

On 10/24/2022 at 8:19 PM, Hayley said:

There is another ‘event’ I would like to propose before the end of the year - more details in another thread, but I wondered whether people might like to take part in a Christmas reading group.

Would you mind pointing me in the right direction because I can’t seem to find this thread you mention? But yes, I would be interested in a Christmas reading group.

12 hours ago, Kudz said:

Sorry! 9 weeks today is New Year's Eve though, so it's not that far away!

This just made it worse 😂

12 hours ago, Kudz said:

Would you mind pointing me in the right direction because I can’t seem to find this thread you mention? But yes, I would be interested in a Christmas reading group.

Sorry, I worded that badly, I'm going to post it on November 1st, so the Victober reading group has finished first :). I'm really glad you'll be interested though!

12 hours ago, Hayley said:

Sorry, I worded that badly, I'm going to post it on November 1st, so the Victober reading group has finished first.

Ah okay, that makes sense. I thought I was going mad there for a second, or that there was a secret part of the board I didn’t have access to when I couldn’t find it.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...