Read-a-thon 2020

Athena

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only managed 2 hours of reading yesterday, as impulse baking and hunting for fabric material/mask DIY took quite a lot of time.

Should be able to have more time reading in remaining this weekend :)

Did you all get some reading done this past weekend?

Here's what I read (see below). Prior to this read-a-thon I have been reading several books, most which require me a bit more brainpower. So for this read-a-thon it was really nice to read some graphic novels and graphic memoirs. I have been feeling tired lately, so it was nice to spend some time reading. We've also been working on the new house.

Friday
Ann M. Martin and Katy Farina (col. Braden Lamb) - Baby-Sitters Little Sister Graphic Novel 1: Karen's Witch
Robin Ha - Almost American GIrl
Ruby Elliott - It's All Absolutely Fine
Jen Wang (col. Lark Pien) - Stargazers
Rainbow Rowell and Faith Erin Hicks (col. Sarah Stern) - Pumpkinheads

Saturday

Kayla Miller (add. col. Katherine Efird) - Click 1: Click
Kayla Miller (add. col. Miguel Co) - Click 2: Camp

Sunday

Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm (col. Lark Pien) - Sunny 1: Sunny Side Up
Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm (col. Lark Pien) - Sunny 2: Swing It, Sunny
Catherine Hapka - Plants vs. Zombies: Save Your Brains!
Peter Bently and Steven Lenton - Cruella and Cadpig
Alex T. Smith - Claude: Best in Show
Mike Brownlow and SImon Rickerty - Ten Little Bookworms
Thanhha Lai - Inside Out & Back Again

The next read-a-thon will take place, in principle, on the 3rd, 4th and 5th of July (the first weekend of the month).

I didn’t manage to settle reading as much this weekend, but apart from approx. 2 hours before sleeping. But it was good time for concentration! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chelsc221

New to the group but looking forward to being with you all. I’ve started light, Jeeves in the Offing. Wodehouse might not be a Henry James, but what he lacks in depth is, for me, offset by his narrations by Bertie. It’ll be a fun read, no doubt about it. 

11 hours ago, A rural reader said:

New to the group but looking forward to being with you all. I’ve started light, Jeeves in the Offing. Wodehouse might not be a Henry James, but what he lacks in depth is, for me, offset by his narrations by Bertie. It’ll be a fun read, no doubt about it. 

Hello there, and welcome to the forum. :)

I love P G Wodehouse, especially the Jeeves and Wooster series. My favourite quote from Bertie is “There's some raw work done at the baptismal font, Jeeves.” Probably P G didn’t enjoyed being given the names of Pelham Grenville......:lol:

Yikes, it’s almost the end of June now.. :o

So I’m planning on be in the read-a-thon next weekend, and I’ve got a handful of TBR manga paperbacks that I hope to read. :)

17 hours ago, A rural reader said:

Hi! Welcome to the group and the read-a-thon!

I can't believe this month's read-a-thon is next week! I'm just about to start reading 'Us' by David Nicholls, so I may use the read-a-thon to make progress on that, or I might start something else. In any case, count me in for next weekend!

On 28/06/2020 at 12:41 AM, A rural reader said:

Hi, welcome to the forum! 

I will be joining in with the read-a-thon. I really want to try to finish Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell but I have a considerable chunk left!

Hopefully after our update tomorrow we'll be posting on a much quicker forum by the weekend too :) 

• 1 month later...
On 29/06/2020 at 10:25 AM, Hayley said:

Hopefully after our update tomorrow we'll be posting on a much quicker forum by the weekend too :) 

Little did I know :hide:.

I'm looking forward to this weekend's read-a-thon. If everything hadn't gone crazy I would have been going on holiday this Saturday, so loads of reading time will be a nice substitute. I am 15 (!) books behind schedule according to my Goodreads challenge so I'm going to see if I can make a dent in that by reading a couple of the shorter books on my shelf. At the moment I'm thinking The Magpie Tree by Katherine Stansfield and The House Without Windows by Barbara Newhall Follett.

Who else is joining in this month?

I kind of forgot about the read-a-thon this month! I mean.. the move has been more in my mind than anything else.

I'm currently reading Fablehaven (book 1 in the Fablehaven series) by Brandon Mull together with a friend from BookTube, we're reading 3 chapters a day and should have it finished in a few days.

I started re-reading Maar je ziet er helemaal niet autistisch uit by Bianca Toeps. Had I realised it was the read-a-thon this weekend, maybe I would've hold off until after. I would've liked to re-read Elise Cordaro's memoir after, Anders kan ook. But not sure now what I will do.

I would like to read some graphic novels and manga for the read-a-thon.

Happy reading Hayley!

I'll be reading this weekend, as I've got a good reading mojo at the mo.I

I have a handful of mangas partly read, so I have to get them finished.

Happy reading this weekend everyone!

Managed a couple of hours this afternoon, so didn’t manage to read as much as hoped. My refrigerator packed up this morning, so spend the time decanting the food to freezer/neighbours fridge!

On 06/08/2020 at 8:33 AM, Athena said:

Happy reading Hayley!

Thanks Gaia, you too! Fablehaven is such a lovely name for a book, I'm going to look it up now :lol:

12 hours ago, karen.d said:

I'll be taking part this weekend. I am currently reading 'Misery' by Stephen King. So I'd like to finish that, if possible.

Is it good?? I've only heard of it but it sounds very intense!

4 hours ago, Marie H said:

Managed a couple of hours this afternoon, so didn’t manage to read as much as hoped. My refrigerator packed up this morning, so spend the time decanting the food to freezer/neighbours fridge!

Oh no! On the hottest possible day too! I hope you can get a new one delivered quickly! It's good that you still managed to get a couple of hours of reading in, hopefully that was a bit relaxing after your dramatic morning.

I read most of The House Without Windows today, I think I have about 50 pages left so I should finish that tomorrow. Or possibly tonight if it's too hot to sleep anyway!

On 06/08/2020 at 11:03 AM, Marie H said:

I'll be reading this weekend, as I've got a good reading mojo at the mo.I

I have a handful of mangas partly read, so I have to get them finished.

Happy reading this weekend everyone!

Happy reading to you too Marie!

On 07/08/2020 at 9:26 AM, karen.d said:

I'll be taking part this weekend. I am currently reading 'Misery' by Stephen King. So I'd like to finish that, if possible.

I hope you enjoy finishing off Misery, Karen!

15 hours ago, Marie H said:

Awww, I'm so sorry about your refridgerator being broken :(.

11 hours ago, Hayley said:

Thanks Gaia, you too! Fablehaven is such a lovely name for a book, I'm going to look it up now :lol:

I'm really liking it so far! It's middle-grade fantasy, book 1 in the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull. There are 5 books in total, I have the box set.

11 hours ago, Hayley said:

I read most of The House Without Windows today, I think I have about 50 pages left so I should finish that tomorrow. Or possibly tonight if it's too hot to sleep anyway!

I hope you enjoy(ed) finishing off The House Without Windows :).

Yesterday I read 3 chapters of Fablehaven (1) (62 pages). I also read Volume 3 and Volume 4 of Komi Can't Communicate by Tomohito Oda (two manga volumes). I then read Alone by Christophe Chabouté, a graphic novel. Lastly I read Thornhill by Pam Smy, which is part graphic novel and part prose ('text'book).

Hopefully I can do a bit more reading today. We're having a heatwave here, it's 37 °C today and it's too hot for most things (including packing for the upcoming move less than 2 weeks away). I didn't sleep that well because of the heat, I woke up at 3 in the morning with a headache. I managed to get a bit more sleep after 4 (I took a painkiller), but I'm still having a headache unfortunately. Last night we heard some bad news, my grandfather fell off a 'rung ladder' and broke his heel bone :wibbly:.

Happy reading everyone!

Hoping for fridge delivery of Monday afternoon *fingers crossed*

Managed to finished the first manga yesterday. Also read an hour of Hamnet. Hopefully will have plenty of time today.

On 08/08/2020 at 8:53 AM, Athena said:

Hopefully I can do a bit more reading today. We're having a heatwave here, it's 37 °C today and it's too hot for most things (including packing for the upcoming move less than 2 weeks away). I didn't sleep that well because of the heat, I woke up at 3 in the morning with a headache. I managed to get a bit more sleep after 4 (I took a painkiller), but I'm still having a headache unfortunately. Last night we heard some bad news, my grandfather fell off a 'rung ladder' and broke his heel bone :wibbly:.

Happy reading everyone!

Hope you're coping with the heatwave! We are not having much hot weather here (in the West Midlands of UK), as the breeze from the NNE is quite chilly; it's still less than 16 degrees Celsius this morning, it's feels a lot less. Hope that your grandfather is doing okay.

1 hour ago, Marie H said:

I hope it for you!!

1 hour ago, Marie H said:

Managed to finished the first manga yesterday. Also read an hour of Hamnet. Hopefully will have plenty of time today.

Hope you're coping with the heatwave! We are not having much hot weather here (in the West Midlands of UK), as the breeze from the NNE is quite chilly; it's still less than 16 degrees Celsius this morning, it's feels a lot less. Hope that your grandfather is doing okay.

Yay for you finishing off the first manga and reading some of Hamnet! I'm glad the weather is okay over there, it was 22 degrees Celsius this morning early already (it's gone up to 34 C atm I think). Thanks, my grandfather is doing okay under the circumstances.

Yesterday I finished off Fablehaven 1 (75 pages) and I read Roughneck by Jeff Lemire, a graphic novel (about 269 pages, but it doesn't have page numbers and I feel I might need to recount because when I was doing the counting I kept getting distracted). I started Blankets by Craig Thompson, which is a graphic novel / memoir (44 pages).

I haven't done any reading of a book yet today, so I guess I'd better get to that soon..

On 08/08/2020 at 8:53 AM, Athena said:

I hope you enjoy(ed) finishing off The House Without Windows :).

Yesterday I read 3 chapters of Fablehaven (1) (62 pages). I also read Volume 3 and Volume 4 of Komi Can't Communicate by Tomohito Oda (two manga volumes). I then read Alone by Christophe Chabouté, a graphic novel. Lastly I read Thornhill by Pam Smy, which is part graphic novel and part prose ('text'book).

Happy reading everyone!

I did enjoy it, thank you!

You read loads! (I looked up Fablehaven by the way and it does sound really good!)

I hope you did get some reading done today. 37 degrees would be far too hot for me too. It's 26 here and I'm still boiling. Breaking a heel bone sounds very painful, I hope your grandad will recover from it quickly. 

7 hours ago, Marie H said:

Marie, I think you jinxed us :giggle2: it was so cool this morning and now I'm melting again! Where did that breeze go!?

3 hours ago, Hayley said:

Marie, I think you jinxed us :giggle2: it was so cool this morning and now I'm melting again! Where did that breeze go!?

:D

It’s just ridiculous weather this weekend! 

Read most of the afternoon, so it was a good read-a-thon.