E books / Kindle / Sony Reader

Adam

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is something fairly new out, the Kobo eReader. It's loads cheaper than any of the other at 149 USD.

http://www.borders.com/online/store/MediaView_koboereader?sc_eid2=bannerkobo-52410&ereader=true

I doubt I'd buy one unless we start traveling. But it's awfully nice to see the prices so far down from the original Kindle.

So when these first came out I thought WOW SO COOL! but now that they have been out for a while, I feel like they should be able to do so much more!! I just watched something about the Ipad from Apple, and think if I was seriously going to spend a lot of money on something like that I'd go that way because it can do so much more, and I think the way it lets you read the book is the closest from all of them to reading a real book -- still far from the real thing but you know what I mean - I like how it has the dictionary stuff in it too for those times when I don't exactly know the meaning of a word......

But the Ipad is still too expensive for me, and its its first time out so I bet they will come up with something better before the year is out, I mean how many times a year is there an upgrade in the ipods? It hopefully will drop in price and I've learned the hard way never to buy the first generation of anything! It can only get better right?

So when these first came out I thought WOW SO COOL! but now that they have been out for a while, I feel like they should be able to do so much more!! I just watched something about the Ipad from Apple, and think if I was seriously going to spend a lot of money on something like that I'd go that way because it can do so much more, and I think the way it lets you read the book is the closest from all of them to reading a real book -- still far from the real thing but you know what I mean - I like how it has the dictionary stuff in it too for those times when I don't exactly know the meaning of a word......

But the Ipad is still too expensive for me, and its its first time out so I bet they will come up with something better before the year is out, I mean how many times a year is there an upgrade in the ipods? It hopefully will drop in price and I've learned the hard way never to buy the first generation of anything! It can only get better right?

I might buy an iPad, but I wouldn't use it for reading books. It's heavier than an ereader.

I have to say, now that the iPad is out, the Kindle suddenly looks a little shabby and outdated. I know the iPad isn't a dedicated e-reader, but I love that it can be used for other things as well.

I've had my eye on a Kindle for a while, but after having car trouble it'll be another while before I can afford one!

I doubt that they'll ever completely replace paper books, but supplement them instead - it'd be great to simply pick up an e-reader when I'm dashing out the house instead of bobbing up and down indecisively in front of my bookcase, wondering what I'll be in the mood to read by lunchtime...

I have to say, now that the iPad is out, the Kindle suddenly looks a little shabby and outdated. I know the iPad isn't a dedicated e-reader, but I love that it can be used for other things as well.

You can flick the pages on an ipad.. I was like a kid in a sweet shop when I tried it! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so excited that the two ereaders I've had my eye on for my birthday have greatly had their prices reduced! Amazon's Kindle is down from $259 to $189 and Barnes and Noble's Nook is down from $259 to $199! Actually, there is a cheaper version of the Nook, which connects only by wireless and is $149. The $199 version connects with wireless and 3G.

Thanks to the competion from the ipad, I think I see one of these ereaders in my future. I used to loath the idea of an ereader, but now I see how useful one would be.

Ive had one of the Sony e-books readers for a while now and 2 things have struck me about the experience. Firstly, I miss the physical nature of having a book. There is something about the texture of pages and the smell of a book that I miss. The second thing and its my biggest bugbear is the price of e-books. They are very similar in price to the real thing and in some cases more. Im of the firm belief that authors should be rewarded for their efforts. It seems to me that the e-book sellers are making a lot of profit on each book sold without the manfucturing costs of a physical book.

Ohh and I always forget to charge it up but thats my failing :)

Like others have said, I prefer the physical nature of books. My eyes get tired after reading from a 'screen' for a while although I've never tried reading an ebook. I might give it a try on the iPad as I've been lucky enough to have one bought for me as a gift.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so excited that Amazon just anounced the latest version of the Kindle that can be pre-ordered now. It is to be released one day before my birthday! Perfect timing! I'm going to order mine soon. Hope my real books don't fly off the shelf at me in a jealous rage. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Amazon UK's Kindle Bookstore is up and running - the prices are good compared to other formats for other readers. For example, I got The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo from Waterstones in EPub format for my Sony Reader and paid £5.49 for it - on Kindle it's only £2.68! Stephen King's Under The Dome, £5.59 in Epub, £2.88 for Kindle. It may drive down prices for other readers, I suppose, but I'm really regretting buying the Sony now.

<<Heads off to pre-order a Kindle ... >>

:doh:

I am in a bit of a dilemma with them, I love actually holding a book and reading but space wise, a kindle would be fab! :)

I definately prefer real books, that's for sure. But the new Kindle looks like a real nice toy, with pretty extras to add to. I kinda like technical toys. But right now, it wouldn't be necessary at all, as I think it's much more handy and practible if you travel a lot or have a longer way to work by train.