Your Book Activity - February 2019

Athena

We're halfway through February already! I didn't even realise we were still posting in the January topic :P.

On 2/12/2019 at 2:23 PM, karen.d said:

I finished 'White Teeth' by Zadie Smith this morning and I was really disappointed Now, I'm about to start 'Testimony' by Anita Shreve.

It's a shame it was a disappointment :(. I look forward to read your review :).

21 hours ago, bobblybear said:

I finished War of the Worlds on Audible and now I'm listening to Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan.

I'm also reading Hard Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World by Haruki Murakami.

Did you like The War of the Worlds? I thought it was a great read.

I've heard good things of Hard Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World (are they 2 stories? Or is that one long title?). I've not read a novel yet by Murakami, only a short story. I own a couple, so I expect I'll get around to it some day. I hope you enjoy Hard Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World :).

1 hour ago, Nollaig said:

I finished Bone White, sadly in the end it dropped from 4 stars down to 3 stars due to just being underwhelming. It was good until the spooky stuff became overtly spooky, particularly as it was short lived and quite thin.

That's a shame :(.

I'm currently reading Anger is a Gift by Mark Oshiro, a YA contemporary about a black gay teenager named Moss, whose father was shot dead by the police when he was 6. At his school things are going from bad to worse. Not only is it lacking in funds, but there are things like random locker searches by the police for no good reason. And things get worse from there. I'm loving all the LGBT+ and people of colour representation in this. I'm liking the book a lot so far.

What are you reading in February?

• Athena pinned this topic
39 minutes ago, Onion Budgie said:

Later today I'll make a start on Bloom by Kevin Panetta and Savanna Ganucheau.  It's an LGBT+ graphic novel.  The artwork is gorgeous.

I have that on my wishlist, please let me know if it's good when you have finished it :).

4 hours ago, Onion Budgie said:

I certainly will!  :)

:)

3 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

I have read some fantastic books including Misery by S King, Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by G Honeyman (worthy of all the praise) and A Little Princess by F Hodgson Burnett. 

I am Currently reading Kensuke's Kingdom by Michael Morpurgo. Very good. 

I'm glad to hear you liked Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine :)! I have the book on my TBR, but I'm always a bit wary of reading a book that everyone seems to love and is hyped up so much. I'll get around to it at some point though and hopefully will like it :).

19 minutes ago, Athena said:

:)

I'm glad to hear you liked Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine :)! I have the book on my TBR, but I'm always a bit wary of reading a book that everyone seems to love and is hyped up so much. I'll get around to it at some point though and hopefully will like it :).

I am with you there completely. I do think the books that get all the attention tend to be the biggest letdowns. I do hope you like it when you read it :)

I finished Bloom last night.  @Athena -- It was a lovely, sweet and fluffy read.  The artwork is toned blue, and simply but beautifully done.  (Lots of baking in it, too!  There's even a recipe for sourdough rolls included at the back of the book.)  I'd definitely recommend it.

Now to continue with A Passage to India...

17 minutes ago, Onion Budgie said:

I finished Bloom last night.  @Athena -- It was a lovely, sweet and fluffy read.  The artwork is toned blue, and simply but beautifully done.  (Lots of baking in it, too!  There's even a recipe for sourdough rolls included at the back of the book.)  I'd definitely recommend it.

Thanks @Onion Budgie!! I'm so glad you liked it :). The book may find itself in my shopping basket soon:D!

24 minutes ago, Brian. said:

I have just finished Dead Drop by Jeremy Duns which was a fantastic read. I think next up will be the next book for me in the Orphan X series, The Nowhere Man.

Nice to 'see' you Brian :).

On 2/16/2019 at 1:14 PM, Athena said:

Thanks @Onion Budgie!! I'm so glad you liked it :). The book may find itself in my shopping basket soon:D!

It'll be here in a few days :).. I might try to read it in March for our read-a-thon.

I have been enjoying a re read of Rick Riordan's Percy Jackosn series. Fast paced, action packed Greek myth goodness! Just the kind of reading I was looking for following my Passage Trilogy read. 

My only slight problem is that I am anticipating a "Whatever shall I read now?" moment once I am done. There are worse problems to have. :)

21 hours ago, Onion Budgie said:

Yay!  I'll look forward to reading your thoughts on it.  I've thoroughly enjoyed all the graphic novels I've read so far this year.  I've just been in the mood for them.  :)

That's so nice :)!!

5 hours ago, Chrissy said:

I have been enjoying a re read of Rick Riordan's Percy Jackosn series. Fast paced, action packed Greek myth goodness! Just the kind of reading I was looking for following my Passage Trilogy read. 

My only slight problem is that I am anticipating a "Whatever shall I read now?" moment once I am done. There are worse problems to have. :)

That's true :). I hope you can find a nice book after you finish with the Percy Jackson series books :).

@Onion Budgie I have received Bloom and it looks great :)! I look forward to read it for the March read-a-thon.

I'm currently reading An Unkindness of Ghosts by Rivers Solomon, a YA science-fiction book that deals with topics of racism. I've read the main character has autism, and I've seen a bit of that, though I'd need to spend some more time with her to be more sure. I'm not that far into the book yet but so far it's nice. The book is about Aster, who lives aboard a huge spaceship called Matilda. There is a huge discrepancy between the upperdecks (rich white people) and the lower decks (darker-skinned poor people). Anyway, so far it's interesting.

I'm zipping through more graphic novels.  I've just finished Heartstopper (Vol. 1) by Alice Oseman (which was delightful), and have now started The Less Than Epic Adventures of TJ and Amal by E.K. Weaver.

E.M. Forster is sitting on a wobbly stool in the corner of the room, scowling at me.  Perhaps he wants a biscuit?

I finished 'Testimony' by Anita Shreve  this morning and I had a bit of trouble reading it at first, but in the end, I quite enjoyed it. Now, I'm reading 'The Knife of Never Letting Go' by Patrick Ness. It seems interesting so far.

On 2/24/2019 at 3:15 PM, Onion Budgie said:

I'm zipping through more graphic novels.  I've just finished Heartstopper (Vol. 1) by Alice Oseman (which was delightful), and have now started The Less Than Epic Adventures of TJ and Amal by E.K. Weaver.

I loved Heartstopper Volume 1 too :). I'm eagerly awaiting Volume 2, which I think will be published in July 2019. I'll be pre-ordering it when I can from my Dutch website. I know you can read more of it online but I prefer to read it as a paperbook.

On 2/24/2019 at 3:22 PM, karen.d said:

I finished 'Testimony' by Anita Shreve  this morning and I had a bit of trouble reading it at first, but in the end, I quite enjoyed it. Now, I'm reading 'The Knife of Never Letting Go' by Patrick Ness. It seems interesting so far.

I have Testimony on my TBR, glad to hear you enjoyed it :). I have The Knife of Never Letting Go on my TBR too. Though neither one of these reads is high priority for me right now, I bought them years ago and kind of lost interest :blush:. It shall be rekindled at some point hopefully!

I'm not reading any book right now. The read-a-thon starts in two days, so I'm thinking about whether I can try to fit in a short book before then, or whether I might be too busy to finish it (and I'd want to finish it before the read-a-thon starts on Friday). I'll see later, I guess.

4 hours ago, Athena said:

I loved Heartstopper Volume 1 too :). I'm eagerly awaiting Volume 2, which I think will be published in July 2019. I'll be pre-ordering it when I can from my Dutch website. I know you can read more of it online but I prefer to read it as a paperbook.

Oh, me too, as regards Volume 2!  I can't wait.  I'd also far prefer to wait for the physical book than read the webcomic.  Volume 1 was such a joyous thing, wasn't it?  I was smiling most of the way through reading it.  :)

I finished The Less than Epic Adventures of TJ and Amal.  That was fun, too.  Some stunning artwork.

15 hours ago, Athena said:

I have Testimony on my TBR, glad to hear you enjoyed it :). I have The Knife of Never Letting Go on my TBR too. Though neither one of these reads is high priority for me right now, I bought them years ago and kind of lost interest :blush:. It shall be rekindled at some point hopefully!

I'm not reading any book right now. The read-a-thon starts in two days, so I'm thinking about whether I can try to fit in a short book before then, or whether I might be too busy to finish it (and I'd want to finish it before the read-a-thon starts on Friday). I'll see later, I guess.

Wow the read-a-thon has come around very quickly! It's hard to believe that we will be in March tomorrow.

Edited by karen.d