Changes

Hayley

You may have noticed a few small changes around the forum in the past couple of days (has anybody noticed our little book stack favicon on their internet tab?). These have mainly been carried out by a very good friend of mine, who also helped massively in getting the forum here today. He's a little shy, but we may be able to convince him to join us one day...  

This morning we were given permission to run advertisement on the forum, which is probably the biggest visual change to be made. I appreciate that not everybody will like to see ads on the site, but due to the costs of hosting and upgrading, I need to find ways to help the forum support itself. For the same reason, it would be very much appreciated if you could disable adblock for this site.

There are a few more ideas in progress, which are a bit more exciting... but I don't want to say too much on that yet!

If you have any feedback on the changes, good or bad, please use this thread to let me know.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't mind ads at all when I know it's helping you keep the forum going! Also, remember to ask us to renew our member's subscriptions so we can help you out money-wise! 

I'm mighty curious about the new ideas you have in store for us! :D

Your friend, is he a reader? We'd be delighted to have him on board! :smile2:

Good luck with everything and thanks, again!! :flowers2:

Thanks @frankie, that really means a lot :friends3:. The new ideas are coming very soon, I'm just finalising a few things. I'm excited to tell you about it! :D

My friend is a reader. He listens to audiobooks every day, but didn't think that counted. I'll keep trying to persuade him! He's like the BCF elf at the moment, coming in and fixing things, then disappearing before we can see him!

3 hours ago, Raven said:

Just saw an add for a 'verified single females' dating site. Not sure if I'm supposed to be a punter or an advertiser...

That really made me laugh! I don't think I can change the type of ads that show, but I'll look into it.

On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:02 PM, poppy said:

Your call :P

At this point I'm so confused I don't know which way is up...

The adverts today are for Cylon baseships, so I guess they are finding my level.

Edited by Raven

The one thing I will say is that it seems a tad strange to me to have a system on here called Patreon which appears to accept donations in dollars only. I might be missing something and correct me if I am wrong and you can pay in different currencies, but it seems odd to me when the site is based in the UK. 

Hi @Talisman, Patreon automatically shows dollars because they're based in the US, but I chose to use Paypal which will convert it into any currency once you select a tier. On that first page though it will always show dollars. It's not something you can change (I did do research to try), and unfortunately we don't really have a UK equivalent of Patreon.

Thanks @poppy and yes of course, you'll get a message about it today :)  

I guess adverts are a necessary evil so that's fine. The other forum I go to is a wargaming forum  (Lead Adventure Forum) and they have the advert bar on there too- but in their case all the adverts that appear are relevant to the forum, ie all by different companies manufacturing products for wargaming.  So, can you choose which adverts you let on, or do you get a cheaper rate for letting them have a free rein? I just wondered. 

About the Patreon, I want to be a supporter but but would like to know more about exactly how it works. I have paypal, but I have never used it for regular monthly payments before, only one off purchases. So I am a bit nervous about that.

I must admit the ads are driving me mad a bit, there seem to be so many of them!  And they seem to be slowing the forum down a bit, I'm on a work computer but I don't think the forum will work on my home pc if it's going to be this slow.  A necessary evil I suppose but they seem to pop up all over the place!

@vodkafan I don't get any choice in the adverts, unfortunately. I don't know whether Lead Adventure Forum might run their own advertisements but we're just using AdSense. There are some things I can change but it doesn't give you a huge amount of control.  

On the subject of ads though @Madeleine they shouldn't be slowing things down, that is a problem. When you say they're popping up all over the place, where exactly are you seeing them? At the moment, for example, I have one at the top of the page and one just above this text box. We were having an issue a couple of nights ago where ads were popping up within posts, but that's been fixed now. Have you noticed any improvement in the last couple of days? In the mean time I'll ask my friend (who's much better with the tech side of things than me) to look into it for you.

Regarding Paypal @vodkafan, I would say it's probably the safest way to send a monthly payment, that's one of the reasons I chose it. When you log into your paypal account you can see any direct debit you currently have and, if you needed to, you can tell paypal to cancel that payment without needing any contact with the company the money is going to. You shouldn't ever actually need to do that, since you can cancel your patreon payment at any time anyway, but it adds an extra layer of security.

On 11/8/2018 at 4:42 PM, Hayley said:

You may have noticed a few small changes around the forum in the past couple of days (has anybody noticed our little book stack favicon on their internet tab?).

I love the little icon!! Such a clever idea to do that. I wouldn't have known how to!

20 hours ago, Hayley said:

@~Andrea~ Thanks for letting me know, I've asked for it to be changed to a setting that specifically directs the ads to the end of posts, so let me know if that works. Were you on pc or mobile?

Thanks Hayley. I was on desktop PC.

EDIT: I'm still seeing it occasionally. I'll see an ad at the bottom of a page, and the same ad will appear in the middle of a post in that thread, on PC. It's not a huge issue for me though, just slightly annoying. It would be worse on mobile I suppose but I don't browse the forum on my phone.

Edited by ~Andrea~