Frankie reads 2018

frankie

3 hours ago, frankie said:

I've started reading it maybe 4 times but it has never stuck :( I don't know why! Maybe I've not been in the right mood or maybe I shouldn't try and read it in Finnish. I don't know! I've read My Cousin Rachel by the same author and that book I loved! :smile2:

Thanks everyone for your wishes, I hope we all have an amazing reading year! :smile2:  :readingtwo:

I'm sorry that I've been missing in action... The thing is, I have found someone and I'm now in a relationship and he's been taking up a lot of my time!  My reading's non-existent most of the time and it's ... it's nice in a way but it's also annoying that I don't get to read as much as I used to :D  

I've also come to the conclusion that I need to find a new job and that's going to be tricky and time consuming.

Lots of changes in my life, I'm still getting adjusted to things!

That is a shame. If I am honest I found the first couple of chapters very slow.

I shall have to have a look at My Cousin Rachel soon.

It is great to hear you’re happy in your new relationship :) at least the reason you are not reading as much is very positive. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Athena said:

I'm happy your reason for being missing in action, is a happy one :friends3:! I'm happy that you've found someone you are happy with :hug:. Maybe you'll be able to do more reading in a while :).

I realised last night in bed, that my comment could be taken in a different way than I intended. I meant it in a way that maybe in a while, you'll both sit on the sofa and you'll read and he'll do something too (ie. watch tv or read or whatever), or something like that, and you'll enjoy being near each other and talk and such (sometimes I read while my boyfriend does something different, but we're sitting near each other and talking now and then, and I love that). I didn't mean anything bad by it, it just came out a bit wrong :blush:. I am so happy for you :friends3:!

• 3 weeks later...
On 17.3.2018 at 3:27 PM, Athena said:

I'm happy your reason for being missing in action, is a happy one :friends3:! I'm happy that you've found someone you are happy with :hug:. Maybe you'll be able to do more reading in a while :).

He is a gamer and he hadn't been gaming for a long time when we started seeing each other. The gaming comes and goes in his life :)  He's gone back to gaming now and he's finding it fun again, and that enables me to spend more quality time with books :D  

On 17.3.2018 at 3:27 PM, Athena said:

Good luck with finding a new job :). It sounds like a scary process, but I hope you find something you like :).

I'm dreading the whole process. I wish I had more confidence in myself! :unsure:

On 17.3.2018 at 3:47 PM, Lau_Lou said:

That is a shame. If I am honest I found the first couple of chapters very slow.

Maybe it's just a matter of sticking with it! And maybe trying an English copy. I'm not done with it, though, I'll be giving the novel further tries :D

I shall have to have a look at My Cousin Rachel soon.

I hope you do! :smile2:

It is great to hear you’re happy in your new relationship :) at least the reason you are not reading as much is very positive. 

That is true :)  And like I told Athena, I have more time now for reading since he's gone back to gaming :D

On 17.3.2018 at 8:21 PM, Alexander the Great said:

It sounds like everything's changing for you, but I'm happy that it's for all the right reasons! Sounds like you're moving forward. Happy reading this year!

Thanks Alexander! :smile2:  It's like there's one change after another, and it has been that way since I moved to south... I feel like I've not had time to settle in yet! 

On 17.3.2018 at 8:31 PM, Little Pixie said:

Congrats Frankie ! :D

Thanks Little Pixie! :D

On 18.3.2018 at 1:29 PM, Athena said:

I realised last night in bed, that my comment could be taken in a different way than I intended. I meant it in a way that maybe in a while, you'll both sit on the sofa and you'll read and he'll do something too (ie. watch tv or read or whatever), or something like that, and you'll enjoy being near each other and talk and such (sometimes I read while my boyfriend does something different, but we're sitting near each other and talking now and then, and I love that). I didn't mean anything bad by it, it just came out a bit wrong :blush:. I am so happy for you!

Don't worry Athena, I understood exactly what you meant by your comment! :smile2:   :friends3:  There's not a single soul on here who would've thought you meant it in the different way than you actually did! I've already managed to do some reading while he's been playing or watching TV. So I know it's doable! 

And in case anyone's wondering, no, he's not a reader. He has read some books (LotR for example), but it's not a hobby of his. He did say his NY's resolution would be to read one book and I happened to find a good one for him at a charity shop: Arnold Schwarzenegger's autobiography! :D  He likes (auto)bios and he likes Arnold :D

Books read in 2018

January

1. Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella (re-read) 2/5

As stated above, this was a re-read. I really really liked the novel when I first read it, but this time I found it somewhat boring. Maybe I wasn't in the mood or maybe I should've gone for something new and not a re-read. Or maybe some books are not worth re-reads? 

February

2. Dumplin' by Julie Murphy 3/5

From Amazon: 

Dubbed “Dumplin’” by her former beauty queen mom, Willowdean has always been at home in her own skin. Her thoughts on having the ultimate bikini body? Put a bikini on your body. With her all-American-beauty best friend, Ellen, by her side, things have always worked . . .  until Will takes a job at Harpy’s, the local fast-food joint. There she meets Private School Bo, a hot former jock. Will isn’t surprised to find herself attracted to Bo. But she is surprised when he seems to like her back.  

Instead of finding new heights of self-assurance in her relationship with Bo, Will starts to doubt herself. So she sets out to take back her confidence by doing the most horrifying thing she can imagine: entering the Miss Teen Blue Bonnet Pageant—along with several other unlikely candidates—to show the world that she deserves to be up there as much as any twiggy girl does.

Along the way, she’ll shock the hell out of Clover City—and maybe herself most of all.

I picked this up on a whim and I guess I skim read the blurb because I didn't realize that this was a YA novel and about teenagers :D  My reading has been awful this year, I can't even read the blurbs right... The novel was easy to read and it was entertaining. My main niggles are that it was cut kind of short: I was hoping to know more of what 'became' of everyone involved. How things progressed after the main event. I also didn't like the main character... And I think I was supposed to like her. 

3. Lukot by Pauliina Susi  3/5

A Finnish novel which seemed very promising in the beginning and I really enjoyed reading it, but it came to a very rushed conclusion, unfortunately. 

March

No books finished! :o

April

4. Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi 4/5

This was a re-read for me. As you may know, Charles Manson died last year and this prompted Kylie to pick up this book, and me to join her in the reading! It took me ages to finish.... Whenever I was reading the book, I was engrossed, but I didn't feel an urgent need to pick it up again once I put it down... I'm sure if it had been my first read I wouldn't have put it down! In any case, a recommended reading for true crime buffs.

When I went on GR to set this book as read for this month, I noticed that the last (and first) time I read the book was in 2010. I was reading the book in March even back then :D March means Manson, murder & mayhem... Only back then it took me 9 days to read the book! This time it took me probably two months... :D

Kylie, if you read this... here's my favorite quote! Re: Polanski:

Spoiler

"Another friend observed that Polanski's immense talent was matched only by his ego. Non-friends, who were numerous, had stronger things to say. One, referring to the fact that Polanski was just over five feet tall, called him "the original five-foot Pole you wouldn't want to touch anyone with.""  :lol::lol:

Edited by frankie

This next post is shameless gloating! Book boasting! I got all these books last year, and I did make a post about them at the end of last year, but I always meant to add pictures, and now I really really want to post the pictures here, even though the books I bought were last year's hauls and I've catalogued them last year! :blush: But I want to post pictures!! I'm shamelessly copy+pasting the post I made last year in my reading log, and then I'll try to edit the post to add the pictures! :D 

"

What with finally having my own bookcases and space for books, and wanting to relieve some stress by doing a bit of book shopping at secondhand bookshops and charityshops, and going to the annual book fair, I've somehow managed to acquire the following books this month. 

From a flea market in my part of town (I managed to visit once, only to find out it was closing down :( 

Julie & Julia by Julie Powell (I loved the movie!) 

Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness by Jon Kabat-Zinn 

Juoksuhaudantie by Kari Hotakainen (A Finnish author I'm curious about)

From Salvation Army

39. A History of British Serial Killing by David Wilson 

40. Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman

From a book swap bookcase

41. Little Friend by Donna Tartt 

For NaNoWrimo :blush:

42. Ready, Set, Novel! 

From a sale

43. Pitkät päiväunet by Katariina Romppainen 

From a sale 

44. HHhH by Laurent Binet 

From a Red Cross charity shop 

46. I Feel Bad About My Neck and Other Thoughts On Being a Woman by Nora Ephron (for the Rory Gilmore reading challenge)

47. French Women Don't Get Fat by Mireille Guiliano 

49. Dexter in the Dark by Jeff Lindsay 

50. We Bought a Zoo by Benjamin Mee 

From a recycling center

45. Past Mortem by Ben Elton
48. For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway 

51. Varaudu pahimpaan by Petteri Nuottimäki

52. Tulkki by Inna Patrakova 

53. Gold by Dan Rhodes ('Only' a Finnish copy but still, Gold!! :smile2: )

From the Book Fair

54. Maailman kaunein tyttö by Aino Kivi (free from Book Fair)

55. Dog On It by Spencer Quinn 

56. Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman 

57. Kun kyyhkyset katosivat by Sofi Oksanen 

58. She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

59. Wild Mind. Living the Writer's Life by Natalie Goldberg (This was my favorite find at the Book Fair!)

60. Jääräpää by Mikko-Pekka Heikkinen

61. The Mitford Girls by Mary S. Lovell 

62. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell 

63. Nöyryytys by Juhani Mattila 

64. J. D. Salinger. A Life Raised High by Kenneth Slawenski

65. Samantekevää by Janne Teller 

66. The Death of Bees by Lisa O'Donnell 

I was going to buy a ticket for the whole weekend but I never had the time, and I went there on Thursday as Boss gave me her ticket and told me to go to get her a few things. I wouldn't have had the time to go there yesterday or today. I could go tomorrow but I think I shouldn't :D  All the authors I wanted to see were there on Friday or Saturday so maybe I'll be lazy tomorrow. I've bought 33 books this month! That's at least one shelf worth of books. "

(The pictures appear in a funny order!)

small 10.jpg

IMG_20180120_175451_resized_20180406_103714836.jpg

IMG_20180120_181756_BURST001_COVER_resized_20180406_103719553.jpg

IMG_20180120_181919_resized_20180406_103715846.jpg

IMG_20180120_181953_resized_20180406_103717264.jpg

IMG_20180120_182026_resized_20180406_103720529.jpg

IMG_20180120_182345_BURST001_COVER_resized_20180406_103716237.jpg

IMG_20180120_182541_BURST001_COVER_resized_20180406_103721006.jpg

Edited by frankie

Okay the pictures are in random order, never mind that :D Here's more: 

small 6.jpg

small 9.jpg

small 11.jpg

small 12.jpg

small 13.jpg

The last picture is obviously the haul in all its greatness. When I got them all in the last 2-3 months of 2017, I never put them on the shelves because I got many of them in one go and I somehow never managed to put them on the shelves of my bookcases. I just had them lying around in piles on the floor. It was nice looking at them :)  In December I decided to put them all in cardboard boxes, so I could open them and sort of have them as 'new' books for myself, as a 'Christmas present', when I came back to Helsinki and my apartment from my hometown :D It was fun going through the boxes because I'd deliberately tried to forget which books I'd bought and that plus my bad memory totally worked for my advantage :D It was like a very bookish Christmas just for me! :D The books are now in my bookcases but I still need to rearrange some of the shelves. 

Edited by frankie

I've already managed to buy some great books this year! Here's the list so far, with pictures:

Books acquired in 2018

January

1. Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut  (I'm sooooo happy to have found a copy of this!! And a bargain at a charity shop!)

2. Lujasti lempeä by Maaret Kallio (a Finnish self-help type of book)

3. Sydän toivoa täynnä by Heikki Hietamies (a book based on a Finnish TV series I loved watching in my teens!) 

February

4. The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (1,50€ at a charity shop)

5. One of Us by Åsne Seierstad (I've already read the book but when I found a cheap copy at a charity shop, I had to buy it!)

6. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (This has been on my wishlist for a long time!)

7. Left of the Bang by Claire Lowdon (I got a copy of this for poppyshake for her Birthday, as I've read the book and I thought she might like it, too. I had to buy a copy for myself, too :blush: I hope it will make a great re-read!) 

8. Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman (I reserved a copy of this from the library when I read poppyshake's review of the novel, but then she told me to cancel the reservation as she had somehow found out that a copy was making its way to me as a Birthday present :lol: Thank you poppyshake!! :flowers2:  ) 

9. Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain (2,50€ at a charity shop. What a bargain!)

10. Sattumia by Daniil Harms (This one I've read before, I loved it!)

11. Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes (I would whole heartedly recommend this to anyone)

March

12. Mustasukkaisuus by Ben Malinen (a Finnish book on jealousy) 

13. Täältä pohjoiseen - Sentencedin tarina by Matti Riekki (a book on Sentenced, one of my favorite Finnish metal bands. A bargain at 2,50€!)

14. Mielen työkirja by Maaret Kallio 

April

15. Mies joka ei ollut murhaaja by Hjorth & Rosenfeldt (I was happy to find another novel for my collection of this great Swedish series!) 

small 12.jpg

small 14.jpg

small 15.jpg

small 16.jpg

small 17.jpg

small 18.jpg

small 19.jpg

Edited by frankie

I've already decided that my next read will be Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman. When I got the novel from poppyshake (thank you!! :flowers2:), I knew I wanted to read the novel right away. However, it took me such a long time to finish the Charles Manson book. At first I thought I could read Eleanor on the side, but then I figured I'd better finish the Manson book, because if I started something more thrilling, I might never finish the Manson book! I feel like it took me ages to read the book... I mean I'm not complaining, because I did enjoy it, and I'm glad I re-read it! I want to watch some interviews on youtube, and I've already been googling stuff and people from the book, as things must've changed since it was written... But I still feel like it took me a year to finish the book! Apart from Dumplin', I've only been reading non-fiction or re-reads for the past 4 or so months and I am aching for new-to-me fiction!!! :D   

7 minutes ago, Little Pixie said:

Oooh, lovely lovely books ! :wub: It makes me want to run over to the diningroom table and cuddle my books. Is this wrong ? I don`t care. :lol:

It is not wrong at all :lol: Although I must ask. It sounded like you keep your books on your dining room table? As far as I know, surely you must have more books than can fit on any old dining room table, no matter how sturdy it is!! 

We do love our books, don't we! I miss my books :(  They are there, so I shouldn't miss them, but I feel like I'm not there for them! I've neglected them! My darling books! I've had my mojo going AWOL in the past, but I feel like it's never been AWOL this long. I want it back! I want back my focus! I want to touch and feel and read and devour my books. 

I feel like they are not in order any more :(   I had them in pretty good order in my last apartment, but since then I've bought loads more and now, even though I have the shelf space, I'm not fully happy with the way they are categorized and shelved. Hmph! 

1 hour ago, frankie said:

It is not wrong at all :lol: Although I must ask. It sounded like you keep your books on your dining room table? As far as I know, surely you must have more books than can fit on any old dining room table, no matter how sturdy it is!! 

My dining room table has the book purchases for the past 18 months or so ; I have cleared them off the table - twice- but they mysteriously reappear.  My knowledge of decluttering suggests that this means I need a bookcase in that location , or somewhere else as a designated dumping ground. :)

1 hour ago, frankie said:

We do love our books, don't we! I miss my books :(  They are there, so I shouldn't miss them, but I feel like I'm not there for them! I've neglected them! My darling books! I've had my mojo going AWOL in the past, but I feel like it's never been AWOL this long. I want it back! I want back my focus! I want to touch and feel and read and devour my books. 

I feel like they are not in order any more :(   I had them in pretty good order in my last apartment, but since then I've bought loads more and now, even though I have the shelf space, I'm not fully happy with the way they are categorized and shelved. Hmph! 

Hmm. Can you put some pretty wallpaper on the back bit of the bookcases ? Arrange little knick-knacks in front of the books ? Or do you feel the books are in the wrong places ? :)

We feel your pain. ;)

9 minutes ago, Little Pixie said:

My dining room table has the book purchases for the past 18 months or so ; I have cleared them off the table - twice- but they mysteriously reappear.  My knowledge of decluttering suggests that this means I need a bookcase in that location , or somewhere else as a designated dumping ground. :)

Oh :lol::lol:  Maybe you do need a new bookcase :giggle2: Or maybe we all need another dining room table!!

5 minutes ago, Little Pixie said:

Hmm. Can you put some pretty wallpaper on the back bit of the bookcases ? Arrange little knick-knacks in front of the books ? Or do you feel the books are in the wrong places ? :)

It's mostly the case of the books not being in their place. I used to have all my books in such carefully dedicated spots back when I lived in Joensuu. And even in Espoo! But since then, the books have somehow multiplied and now, I do have enough bookshelves and bookcases, but I just can't make the certain shelf space accommodate the certain genres! And I somehow don't want to go and disturb the books because I feel they are all dusty on top. :unsure: Oh dear!!! :D  First world problems... 

3 minutes ago, frankie said:

Oh :lol::lol:  Maybe you do need a new bookcase :giggle2: Or maybe we all need another dining room table!!

It's mostly the case of the books not being in their place. I used to have all my books in such carefully dedicated spots back when I lived in Joensuu. And even in Espoo! But since then, the books have somehow multiplied and now, I do have enough bookshelves and bookcases, but I just can't make the certain shelf space accommodate the certain genres! And I somehow don't want to go and disturb the books because I feel they are all dusty on top. :unsure: Oh dear!!! :D  First world problems... 

:giggle2: I think I probably need 10 new bookcases. :lol: Or a decent sort out. Though, I do enjoy having a bookish big table ; it's a bit like a bookshop' s display table. :D

When my reading mojo is good, I don't notice my book piles or overflowing bookcases ; when it's bad, I do suddenly have the need to tinker with the books. Maybe it's a control thing - if I fix the books, my mojo will reappear. Anyhow, fingers crossed for your bookcases. :)

11 hours ago, frankie said:

He is a gamer and he hadn't been gaming for a long time when we started seeing each other. The gaming comes and goes in his life :)  He's gone back to gaming now and he's finding it fun again, and that enables me to spend more quality time with books :D  

That sounds quite nice :). My boyfriend plays games too now and then (and he's not really a reader either).

I'm dreading the whole process. I wish I had more confidence in myself! :unsure:

Awww :(.

Don't worry Athena, I understood exactly what you meant by your comment! :smile2:   :friends3:  There's not a single soul on here who would've thought you meant it in the different way than you actually did! I've already managed to do some reading while he's been playing or watching TV. So I know it's doable! 

:friends3:

And in case anyone's wondering, no, he's not a reader. He has read some books (LotR for example), but it's not a hobby of his. He did say his NY's resolution would be to read one book and I happened to find a good one for him at a charity shop: Arnold Schwarzenegger's autobiography! :D  He likes (auto)bios and he likes Arnold :D

How nice you found him a book he liked :)!

January

1. Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella (re-read) 2/5

As stated above, this was a re-read. I really really liked the novel when I first read it, but this time I found it somewhat boring. Maybe I wasn't in the mood or maybe I should've gone for something new and not a re-read. Or maybe some books are not worth re-reads? 

It's true that some books are maybe not worth re-reads, but you could've also been in the wrong mood :hug:. Wedding Night is one I haven't read yet myself. I've owned it for a while now but somehow the plot doesn't quite appeal to me, I mainly bought it because it's a Sophie Kinsella book. I'll just have to read it some time and see if I like it!

February

2. Dumplin' by Julie Murphy 3/5

From Amazon: 

Dubbed “Dumplin’” by her former beauty queen mom, Willowdean has always been at home in her own skin. Her thoughts on having the ultimate bikini body? Put a bikini on your body. With her all-American-beauty best friend, Ellen, by her side, things have always worked . . .  until Will takes a job at Harpy’s, the local fast-food joint. There she meets Private School Bo, a hot former jock. Will isn’t surprised to find herself attracted to Bo. But she is surprised when he seems to like her back.  

Instead of finding new heights of self-assurance in her relationship with Bo, Will starts to doubt herself. So she sets out to take back her confidence by doing the most horrifying thing she can imagine: entering the Miss Teen Blue Bonnet Pageant—along with several other unlikely candidates—to show the world that she deserves to be up there as much as any twiggy girl does.

Along the way, she’ll shock the hell out of Clover City—and maybe herself most of all.

I picked this up on a whim and I guess I skim read the blurb because I didn't realize that this was a YA novel and about teenagers :D  My reading has been awful this year, I can't even read the blurbs right... The novel was easy to read and it was entertaining. My main niggles are that it was cut kind of short: I was hoping to know more of what 'became' of everyone involved. How things progressed after the main event. I also didn't like the main character... And I think I was supposed to like her.

Shame this wasn't brilliant, but I'm glad you liked it. I've heard good things from others, but I haven't read it yet myself. Recently news came out about the author writing a sequel, so you might get some answers there, maybe.

4. Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi 4/5

This was a re-read for me. As you may know, Charles Manson died last year and this prompted Kylie to pick up this book, and me to join her in the reading! It took me ages to finish.... Whenever I was reading the book, I was engrossed, but I didn't feel an urgent need to pick it up again once I put it down... I'm sure if it had been my first read I wouldn't have put it down! In any case, a recommended reading for true crime buffs.

When I went on GR to set this book as read for this month, I noticed that the last (and first) time I read the book was in 2010. I was reading the book in March even back then :D March means Manson, murder & mayhem... Only back then it took me 9 days to read the book! This time it took me probably two months... :D

Yay for finishing Helter Skelter! Well done! It's a huge book, right? At least, that's what I thought.

This next post is shameless gloating! Book boasting! I got all these books last year, and I did make a post about them at the end of last year, but I always meant to add pictures, and now I really really want to post the pictures here, even though the books I bought were last year's hauls and I've catalogued them last year! :blush: But I want to post pictures!! I'm shamelessly copy+pasting the post I made last year in my reading log, and then I'll try to edit the post to add the pictures! :D

(The pictures appear in a funny order!)

Yay for pictures :D. The books look great :D!

10 hours ago, frankie said:

The last picture is obviously the haul in all its greatness. When I got them all in the last 2-3 months of 2017, I never put them on the shelves because I got many of them in one go and I somehow never managed to put them on the shelves of my bookcases. I just had them lying around in piles on the floor. It was nice looking at them :)  In December I decided to put them all in cardboard boxes, so I could open them and sort of have them as 'new' books for myself, as a 'Christmas present', when I came back to Helsinki and my apartment from my hometown :D It was fun going through the boxes because I'd deliberately tried to forget which books I'd bought and that plus my bad memory totally worked for my advantage :D It was like a very bookish Christmas just for me! :D The books are now in my bookcases but I still need to rearrange some of the shelves. 

Such fun to go through the books like Christmas :D!!

I've already managed to buy some great books this year! Here's the list so far, with pictures:

Yay :D. I've only read two of your list, The Rosie Project and Flowers for Algernon (both I quite enjoyed). So interesting to see some Finnish book covers :D.

I've already decided that my next read will be Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman. When I got the novel from poppyshake (thank you!! :flowers2:), I knew I wanted to read the novel right away. However, it took me such a long time to finish the Charles Manson book. At first I thought I could read Eleanor on the side, but then I figured I'd better finish the Manson book, because if I started something more thrilling, I might never finish the Manson book! I feel like it took me ages to read the book... I mean I'm not complaining, because I did enjoy it, and I'm glad I re-read it! I want to watch some interviews on youtube, and I've already been googling stuff and people from the book, as things must've changed since it was written... But I still feel like it took me a year to finish the book! Apart from Dumplin', I've only been reading non-fiction or re-reads for the past 4 or so months and I am aching for new-to-me fiction!!! :D   

I hope you enjoy reading some new-to-you fiction :)!

9 hours ago, frankie said:

Awww :(. I hope you can rearrange them some time in a way you are more happy with. I hope you get your mojo back soon :empathy:.

13 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Oooh, lovely lovely books ! :wub: It makes me want to run over to the diningroom table and cuddle my books. Is this wrong ? I don`t care. :lol:

That is so very right!

Some great books there, Frankie. The one by Susan Cain really is a bargain! I did have to convert into pound sterling. But wow! Really hope you enjoy all of those. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7.4.2018 at 3:10 AM, Little Pixie said:

:giggle2: I think I probably need 10 new bookcases. :lol: Or a decent sort out. Though, I do enjoy having a bookish big table ; it's a bit like a bookshop' s display table. :D

10 new bookcases :D Do you have the space?? :D I do understand enjoying having a big table for books! I really like the sound of a bookshop's display table at one's own home :D 

On 7.4.2018 at 3:10 AM, Little Pixie said:

When my reading mojo is good, I don't notice my book piles or overflowing bookcases ; when it's bad, I do suddenly have the need to tinker with the books. Maybe it's a control thing - if I fix the books, my mojo will reappear. Anyhow, fingers crossed for your bookcases. :)

Yes, maybe indeed it is a control thing. Clever thinking! It might also be about how I had my books at my previous place in a very particular way, there being more sections to the bookcase than I have now. Now there's, in a way, too much room for one genre of books, or too little. The bookcase at my previous place was more sensible! But my bookcases will do. It must also be a case of me not spending any time in the room where I have my books: my bookcases are in my bedroom, and I only go there to sleep. I think if I had a reading chair there I would spend more time there and I would get more accustomed to the way my books are organized these days. Something to think about! 

On 7.4.2018 at 3:17 AM, Little Pixie said:

It must be even later in Finland. Night night ! :)

We must be two hours ahead of you guys, I think! :)  

On 7.4.2018 at 10:12 AM, Athena said:

That sounds quite nice :). My boyfriend plays games too now and then (and he's not really a reader either).

I remember your boyfriend being a  gamer! :)  It's really nice I'm not alone :D  I've now talked my BF into coming to the book fair with me, in October :) Luckily there's a wine & food fair going on at the same venue, so he'll have more incentive to go, as he likes food :D 

Awww :(.

Yeah, it's really frustrating and annoying, but I'm trying to work on it :)

It's true that some books are maybe not worth re-reads, but you could've also been in the wrong mood :hug:. Wedding Night is one I haven't read yet myself. I've owned it for a while now but somehow the plot doesn't quite appeal to me, I mainly bought it because it's a Sophie Kinsella book. I'll just have to read it some time and see if I like it!

Yeah, I might not have been in the right mood. Mood reading is so tricky! It would be easier to be able to just go for any book that comes our way! I hope you will like Wedding Night, even though the plot doesn't sound appealing to you! 

Shame this wasn't brilliant, but I'm glad you liked it. I've heard good things from others, but I haven't read it yet myself. Recently news came out about the author writing a sequel, so you might get some answers there, maybe.

The sequel would probably change so many things for me about the book! I might have to read it :) Thanks for the tip, I had no idea there was a sequel! :)

Yay for finishing Helter Skelter! Well done! It's a huge book, right? At least, that's what I thought.

Yep, it was 630 pages long or something like that. It took me ages!!! :D

Yay for pictures :D. The books look great :D!

Thanks! :D   I do like posting pictures of my books and looking at pictures of other people's books :D

Yay :D. I've only read two of your list, The Rosie Project and Flowers for Algernon (both I quite enjoyed). So interesting to see some Finnish book covers :D.

It really is interesting to see the different covers different countries have for one book, isn't it! :D

On 7.4.2018 at 2:45 PM, Lau_Lou said:

Some great books there, Frankie. The one by Susan Cain really is a bargain! I did have to convert into pound sterling. But wow! Really hope you enjoy all of those. 

It really was a bargain!! :) I was so happy to find it! :)

On 9.4.2018 at 8:44 PM, ~Andrea~ said:

Aw congratulations Frankie. I only just caught up with your news re 'mising in action'. How lovely :)

Thanks Andrea! :smile2:   

I've gotten my mojo back! :D At least for now!   After the Manson book, I read Fiona Barton's The Widow in only a few days!! :smile2:  I didn't want to put the book down!! And then I started reading The Cold Song by Linn Ullmann and I only have maybe 60 pages left, and I've really enjoyed this one, too!! :smile2: I'm so happy!! 

My initial plan was to read Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine after the Manson book, and I did start it, but I couldn't remember most of what I had read the next day! :(  I did like what I was reading when I was reading it, but the story just didn't stick in my mind. I think it has to do with me having read a huge non-fiction book in English, and I just had to read something in Finnish. I read The Widow in Finnish and I'm reading The Cold Song in Finnish too. I just needed something in my own language for a change. I'm sure I'll be able to get back to English novels any time now :)

Although, I have borrowed the latest Herman Koch book from the library! I do want to read that one, too. (It's in Finnish.) 

I forgot: 

Since my last post I've acquired a few books.

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn - a book swap book. I've read the book before, wanted to have it as I will re-read it at some point

Jännittääkö? by Kari Aavasto, Pia Kaulio and Sirpa Syrjälä - a book about being anxious and stuff. A charity shop find. 

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts - A charity shop find. A few friends have recommended this to me. Quite a heavy novel :D

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell - A charity shop find. I was so happy to find this!! I loved reading the book a few years ago, I devoured the whole thing. It's not for everyone, and it won't be my favorite novel ever, or even in the top 100, but it was such a great read at the time :smile2: I hope to enjoy it once again!

The Red Notebook by Antoine Laurain - A charity shop find. I've read some positive reviews of this novel and so I had to buy it :) 

Good Daughter by Karin Slaughter - A charity shop find. I've borrowed the book from the library a few times but I never managed to read it. Now I can read the book whenever :)

4 hours ago, frankie said:

10 new bookcases :D Do you have the space?? :D I do understand enjoying having a big table for books! I really like the sound of a bookshop's display table at one's own home :D

Ooh, I would love to have space for just one more bookcase. :lol: Never mind 10. I`m shying from considering a book cull, but I may have to release some books to new homes. :)