Diane's Reading List - 2018

Inver

My Reading List 2018 :coffee1:

Well, where does the time go and the 'TBR' pile of books is getting higher.  Yet again I didn't reach my meagre 'to read' total of 30 .... but have done better with 22, must find shorter reads...:giggle2:.  I shall endeavour, yet again, to reach it this year, famous last words I hear you say.  I'm hoping I can add a few more new authors along the reading trail too as I did last year. You are all very good at recommendations.  I'll try to read more from the books already on my shelf though, than buying....but we all know how hard that is :yes: especially when you have a 'wish list' for birthdays, Mother's Day and Christmas..!

List from 2017 (23)

List from 2016 (19)

List from 2015 (26)

List from 2014 (20)

List from 2013 (20)

Follow the above link to the other lists from previous years via 2013

Reading at the moment

'The Other Mrs Walker by Mary Paulson-Ellis (struggling with this one to be honest)

'Her Mother's Shadow' by Diane Chamberlain

January

'The Beach Cafe' by Lucy Diamond

'The Runaway Quilt' (#4 of Elm Creek Quilts) by Jennifer Chaiverini

February

March

'The Bees' by Laline Paull (started in January)

April

May

'What Alice Forgot' by Liane Moriarty  (started in April)

'Keeper of the Light' by Diane Chamberlain (#1 of trilogy)

June

'Kiss River' by Diane Chamberlain (started end of May, #2 of trilogy)

July

'Her Mother's Shadow' by Diane Chamberlain (#3 of trilogy)(started in June)

August

'The Little Pieces of You and Me' by Vanessa Greene

September

October

November

December

Edited by Inver

Wishlist to Buy :readingtwo:

'Night Road' by Kristin Hannah

'Magic Hour' by Kristin Hannah

'Distant Shore' by Kristin Hannah

'Home Again' by Kristin Hannah

'Winter Garden' by Kristin Hannah

'The Cornish House' by Liz Fenwick

'A Cornish Stranger' by Liz Fenwick

'The Returning Tide' by Liz Fenwick

'One Cornish Summer' by Liz Fenwick

'The Button Collector' by Elizabeth Jennings

'Leaving Time' by Jodi Picoult

'The House Between Tides' by Sarah Maine

'Afternoon Tea at the Sunflower Cafe' by Milly Johnson

'Another Night, Another Day' by Sarah Rayner

'The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto' by Mitch Albom

'Summer's Child' by Diane Chamberlain

'The Stolen Marriage' by Diane Chamberlain (bought Jan 2018)

'Then She Was Gone' by Lisa Jewell

'The Other Sister' by Rowan Coleman

'The Summer of Impossible Things' by Rowan Coleman

'The Keeper of Lost Things' by Ruth Hogan

'Hetty's Farmhouse Bakery' by Cathy Bramley

'Shadow Man' by Margaret Kirk

'It Takes One to Know One' by Isla Dewar

Edited by Inver

To Be Read List :readingtwo: 

I will be adding to this when I choose the books from my shelves that I really want to try and read this year.

'The Shadow Wife' by Diane Chamberlain (add to recommendation of reading challenge when read)

'The Courage Tree' by Diane Chamberlain (another one from lovely Chaliepud/Hayley)

'Keeper of the Light' by Diane Chamberlain (read May '18 (trilogy) (Kiss River & Her Mother's Shadow)

'The Stolen Marriage' by Diane Chamberlain

'The Secret Keeper' by Kate Morton

'Daughter of the House' by Rosie Thomas

'The Beach Cafe' by Lucy Diamond (read Jan '18)

'The Fire Child' by SK Tremayne

'The Two Week Wait' by Sarah Rayner

'The Little Pieces of You and Me' by Vanessa Greene (pressie from Chaliepud/Hayley) (read Aug '18)

'The Bees' by Laline Paull (read Mar '18)

'The Dandelion Years' by Erica James

'What Alice Forgot' by Liane Moriarty (read April/May '18)

'Friend Request' by Laura Marshall

'A Man called Ove' by Fredrik Backman

Edited by Inver

New Authors/Books Bought or Borrowed/Read :readingtwo: 

New Author = *

Books bought/borrowed/swapped = #

Read = @

'The Stolen Marriage' by Diane Chamberlain # (Jan)

'Friend Request' by Laura Marshall * # (Jan)

'A Man called Ove' by Fredrik Backman * # (March Mother's Day pressie from Kenny)

'The Bees' by Laline Paull * @

Edited by Inver

Books Read/Authors :readingtwo: 

British

Lucy Diamond

Laline Paull (new author for me)

Vanessa Greene

International

Jennifier Chiaverini (USA)

Liane Moriarty (AUS)

Diane Chamberlain (USA x 3)

Edited by Inver

A book challenge pinched from Chaliepud/Hayley. I hoping to fill in a few more of these hopefully in 2018 (started this in 2017)

1. A book you read in school
  2. A book from your childhood
  3. A book published over 100 years ago
  4. A book published in the last year
  5. A non-fiction book - ('The Penguin Lessons' by Tom Michell...could be moved)
  6. A book written by a male author - 'Rough Music' by Patrick Gale
  7. A book written by a female author - 'Song of the Skylark' by Erica James
  8. A book by someone who isn’t a writer (think Paul Kalathani or Richard Branson)
  9. A book that became/is becoming a film
  10. A book published in the 20th Century
  11. A book set in your hometown/region
  12. A book with someone’s name in the title 'Harry the Poisonous Centipede's Big Adventure' by Lynn Reid Banks
  13. A book with a number in the title - '6 Rainier Drive' by Debbie Macomber
  14. A book with a character with your first name
  15. A book someone else recommended to you
  16. A book with over 500 pages
  17. A book you can finish in a day - 'Harry the Poisonous Centipede' by Lynne Reid Banks
  18. A previously banned book
  19. A book with a one-word title - 'Reflection' by Diane Chamberlain
  20. A book translated from another language
  21. A book that will improve a specific area of your life
  22. A memoir or journal - 'Life After You' by Lucie Brownlee
  23. A book written by someone younger than you
  24. A book somewhere visited/place name in title - 'A Week in Paris' by Rachel Hore
  25. An award-winning book
  26. A self-published book
  27. A book with a season in the title - 'The Forgotten Summer' by Carol Drinkwater
  28. A book with a colour in the title  - 'The Black House' by Peter May
  29. A book with a café/tearoom/restaurant theme - The Beach Cafe' by Lucy Diamond ('18)
  30. A book with an animal/bird in the title or a character - 'The Nightingale' by Kristin Hannah
Edited by Inver

** OFFICIALLY OPEN **

** FOR 2018 READING **

:readingtwo: WELCOME :readingtwo:

** TO MY BOOK-LOVING FRIENDS**

HOPING WE CAN SHARE A YEAR

FILLED WITH GREAT BOOKS & REVIEWS

LET THE READING COMMENCE

:readingtwo: * * * * * * * * * * :readingtwo:

:006:

Edited by Inver

Hi Diane, I hope you have a fabulous 2018, with lots of good reads, both new and TBR! :D I see a good few Kristin Hannah on your to buy list, did you know she has a new book coming out later this month? It is called The Great Alone and is set in Alaska, so it should be a good winter read (along with Winter Garden).

I have every faith that you can reach your target this year, I have upped my target by 15, there is nothing like a little optimism to begin the New Year. One of my non book resolutions is to spend less time on my phone, if I can stick to this then I'm sure I can squeeze in a few more reads. :)

Anyway, best wishes to you and yours, I'll be keeping a close eye on your thread for more recommendations! :readingtwo:

'The Beach Cafe' by Lucy Diamond

Starting of the year with an easy read from the TBR pile. Café and Cornwall seemed like a nice escape read and it was. Evie inherits her Aunts beach café. Stuck in a rut with temping jobs that are boring and going nowhere she decides to give it a go. Her boyfriend breaks up with her and she eventually moves to Cornwall. Lots of things to learn about running a wee business etc. A delightful jumble of likeable characters. It flows along gently with sometimes predictable outcomes, but nothing bad happens and has a nice cosy ending. Just the thing for these cold, winter days/evenings to curl up with. Probably more of a summer read though.

4/5

Ooh, I started reading Lucy Diamond books last year, and this was the first one (I actually listened to the audiobook), and she's becoming one of my favourites for a bit of romantic escapism, up there with Jenny Colgan for me.  Glad you enjoyed it, Diane, and if you've not read any of her other books, I'd say all the ones I've read so far have been very enjoyable. :)

I really liked The Beach Café too, glad you liked it Diane :). I've not read any other Lucy Diamond novels yet (I do plan to do that some time), but I did read the novellas that follow the characters in The Beach Café (Christmas at the Beach Café, Christmas Gifts at the Beach Café, and A Baby at the Beach Café).

7 hours ago, Athena said:

I really liked The Beach Café too, glad you liked it Diane :). I've not read any other Lucy Diamond novels yet (I do plan to do that some time), but I did read the novellas that follow the characters in The Beach Café (Christmas at the Beach Café, Christmas Gifts at the Beach Café, and A Baby at the Beach Café).

oooo...didn't know there were those. Sounds like fun to follow up on characters.

18 hours ago, Inver said:

oooo...didn't know there were those. Sounds like fun to follow up on characters.

I enjoyed them, yes :). I got the first two on my Kindle and the third as a paperback QuickReads book. I enjoyed spending more time with the characters and seeing more of their lives and futures.

'The Runaway Quilt' (Elm Creek Series #4) by Jennifier Chiaverini

It has been a while since I've read an Elm Creek quilt adventure and I enjoyed it. It was interesting finding out about the 'codes' supposedly used in quilts to guide runaway slaves via the Underground railway to safety. All this found out by Sylvia reading memoirs written by her great grandmother's sister Gerda and quilts stitched and kept in the house she wasn't aware of. It would appear they gave shelter to a pregnant runaway Joanna who desperately needed shelter. This is a large part of the memoir and how they managed to help her, amongst other family secrets. I look forward to reading the remaining books of the series I have on my shelf.

4/5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So it's Mother's Day here in UK. I had a wishlist and youngest gave me ....
'A Man called Ove' by Fredrik Backman.
I've read good reviews for it recently.

Strictly it's called Mothering Sunday in the UK and isn't the equivalent of Mother's Day in other countries.

Rather than it being a set date (or a set weekend, if you know what I mean), it's actually a religious festival (to celebrate your Mother Church) and moves about dependant on when Easter is - like pancake day. :lol: Although nowadays wetreat it the same way as other country's Mother's Days.

I got 3 books for Mother's Day (it's still easier to say it that way ;) ). The new Philip Pullman, Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and How to be a boy by Robert Webb. 

1 hour ago, More reading time required said:

Strictly it's called Mothering Sunday in the UK and isn't the equivalent of Mother's Day in other countries.

Rather than it being a set date (or a set weekend, if you know what I mean), it's actually a religious festival (to celebrate your Mother Church) and moves about dependant on when Easter is - like pancake day. :lol: Although nowadays wetreat it the same way as other country's Mother's Days.

I got 3 books for Mother's Day (it's still easier to say it that way ;) ). The new Philip Pullman, Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and How to be a boy by Robert Webb. 

I saw a nice thing in the paper, someone suggesting it`s for anyone who takes a Mothering role in your life. :D

Any excuse for new books, eh ? :lol:

50 minutes ago, Little Pixie said:

I saw a nice thing in the paper, someone suggesting it`s for anyone who takes a Mothering role in your life. :D

Ah yes, that's a nice viewpoint on it. :)

When I was young, I used to think "Mother's Day, Father's Day? When's Kid's day?". Now I'm older and have children of my own, I know now that that's *every* day! :lol: 

14 hours ago, More reading time required said:

That's very interesting, I didn't know that, thanks :).

14 hours ago, More reading time required said:

I hope you enjoy all of them :). I've pre-ordered the paperback of Sleeping Beauties, so I should get it when it is released.

12 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

That makes sense :D.

Haha :lol::D.

12 hours ago, More reading time required said:

When I was young, I used to think "Mother's Day, Father's Day? When's Kid's day?". Now I'm older and have children of my own, I know now that that's *every* day! :lol: 

I thought that too when I was a kid! My mum told me the same thing you know now.