Christmas planning and chat

Yes!  I know it's only mid-October, and there are many of us who might not even be thinking of that time of year yet.  But for those of us who are (myself included), here's a space to chat and update.  Gifts, decorations, meal & snack ideas, it's all good.  :D  We had a few Christmas-themed threads last year, but they all disappeared in the forum update.  SO, let's share.

Have you started gift shopping?  When do you decorate?  What are your holiday plans?  Are you reading any Christmas-themed novels later this year?

I'll chime in later.  Just wanted to crack this one open!

Ah well someone had to start it!  The decorations are going up in Central London, Xmas departments are open in the stores, can't run, can't hide...have been looking around for some present ideas, have a few and might do some mail order as well (enticed by the offer of a £5 discount if I order before 31st October).

I have a Christmas themed novel ready, it's a British Library Crime Classic called Portrait of a Murderer.

On 17/10/2017 at 4:25 PM, Onion Budgie said:

My reading is all sorted too, Madeleine.  This year it's The Man With a Load of Mischief by Martha Grimes, and Tied Up in Tinsel by Ngaio Marsh.  Both are murder mysteries.

Ooh, I like the look of the Martha Grimes book. :)

Note to self:  The only problem with buying nibbles well in advance, is the danger of said nibbles being scoffed before time!

I couldn't resist the gingerbread cookies.  Now I have to replace them.  

On the plus side, my gift shopping's done.  I just need some wrapping paper.  To be fair, I don't have that many people to buy for, so it's kinda easy.  I have every empathy for those with a partner, kids, grandkids, and family & friends spilling out the sides.  It must be a headache!

I always listen to the Tim Curry audio version of A Christmas Carol while wrapping presents :D

I am almost finished with gifts for my daughter, except for some stocking stuffers. This might be the last "Santa" Christmas, which is just fine by me, although a little sad. It will be nice not to have to put on a big holiday. There might be a few more too, though, thats ok too :D One of her stocking stuffers is a soap and when the soap wears down, there is a ring revealed- she will love it. Actually, she appreciates everything, so I'm sure it will be a good Christmas :)

I try to not have a big expense in December, so I buy all my presents before December- I like to have a nice New Year's, which is at the end of the month, usually tight!

Hoping to make a start my Christmas shopping this week, and with any luck, I might finish it too! :lol:  Not many people to buy for so should be fairly easy.  My plan is to get them all wrapped by the end of November, and then I can enjoy my time off over Christmas without rushing around trying to finish preparations.

Don't expect to do much this Christmas. If all goes well, we'll be in our new home by 6 December. Thinking we'll just wrap the thing in a giant red ribbon and call it a day. While we (grandparents) wont be buying elaborate gifts we will give each household a gift for the entire family. I also plan to do a big dinner at home, my mom and brother and two of the kids and six grands. 

On the menu

Roast lamb

Goose

Duck

Greens (collards, kale, mustard)

Sweet potatoes

Mac and cheese

Red rice

Homemade rolls

Cranberry sauce

Pecan pie

Pumpkin pie

Fruit cake (family recipe)

Pound cake

Punch bowl cake (family recipe)

Assorted cookies

Not sure about decorations, if we get in the house on time I'll put them up since we'll have to move the tree from one house to the other anyway.

As per usual, there's been Christmas chocolate alongside the Halloween chocolate here. Brown Thomas have also decorated their storefronts with their usual million lights, and another shop nearby has followed suit. I'm pretty sure the Christmas trees will be going up in town in the next couple of days.

I'm on top of presents for my partner, I have 7 for him so far, after giving him two already. It's our first Christmas together, and lots of them are small (two 10 euro t-shirts, one I gave him already and one for christmas, two books which only cost 10-13 euro each etc). I have an idea of presents to get for one friend, and I probably won't bother with presents for anyone else except mum. No idea what to get for her though.

I'm pretty torn this year - my dad left my mum, so he won't be there for Christmas this year. It's also the first year, as I said, that I'm with my partner, and my first opportunity in my life to have my own little Christmas (I suffered through many unpleasant ones while my dad was around for my mum's sake, and because I had nowhere else to go.) My brother lives at home, so mum won't be alone if I stay in Cork with my partner (who will be alone if I go to Kerry), but it's sucky that it would be the first year she both doesn't have her husband, OR her daughter. Due to animals (and honestly, out of preference), my partner can't come with me to Kerry. So far, I'm planning on staying with my partner. I've had a ton of chats about this with various friends. All agree it's tough, but also that I spent years having miserable Christmases to make others happy, so I should take advantage of the opportunity to have my own happy one this year.  Obviously, I will still go see my mum within a day or two of Christmas day, just maybe not ON Christmas day.

@Virginia Mac and cheese as part of a Christmas dinner sounds really strange to me!  I've seen it mentioned elsewhere too.  It seems to be more of a US tradition.  (Good luck with the house move!)

@Nollaig Starting your own Christmas traditions with your partner sounds like a wonderful idea.  

December/Christmas is always a hard time for me...too many sad thoughts pop in to my head of loved ones who passed away in Decembers since 2004...., mum, dad and my in-laws....:( I always have to drag myself to motivated and organised.

@Virginia Good luck moving house!

19 hours ago, Onion Budgie said:

@Nollaig Starting your own Christmas traditions with your partner sounds like a wonderful idea. 

I agree, it sounds like a nice idea :). And then visit your mum some time around Christmas (not on Christmas Day but another day).

8 hours ago, Inver said:

December/Christmas is always a hard time for me...too many sad thoughts pop in to my head of loved ones who passed away in Decembers since 2004...., mum, dad and my in-laws....:( I always have to drag myself to motivated and organised.

I'm so sorry to hear this :(.

I'll probably think more about Christmas about halfway through November or such. That's when I usually put up our tree. Which I know is early, but I'm excited about it so heh. I'm not sure where we're going to put it this year as we brought Michael's (who is my boyfriend) desk down in the beginning of this year, so we can't put the tree where it used to be. I'm determined to find a good place for it though, as it makes the room look nicer. We don't do gifts for Christmas here, but my boyfriend's birthday is on Christmas Day, so I will start thinking of and buying gifts for him in a while. I also plan to start thinking about Christmas dinner and what I plan to make for it. We usually do it so that most of us make one of the dishes of the meal, so I'll give it some thought on what I want to do this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, so far I've had to replace not only the gingerbread cookies, but also the penguin shortbread, oriental rice crackers, and pretzels!  OINK OINK.  This is not what was supposed to happen!

Time is whizzing by.  I'll put the decorations up on the 1st, and do my wrapping then as well.  My Christmas Eve/Day menus are all sorted.  I'm making my 'fancy' veggie nut roast again, the same as last year.  The last time I made it was at Easter, so I'm really looking forward to it!

How's everyone else getting on?

We're planning to put up the Christmas tree soon, we said we'd do it this week. I'm hoping today!

We've also been thinking about what dish to make for the Christmas dinner, and have decided on something. We just have to try out making it a few times and see if it works out!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Madeleine, Onion Budgie and Hayley :xmassmile:!!

2 hours ago, Onion Budgie said:

I'm just about to start cleaning the main living area so I can put up my own decorations.  

Have fun, I'm sure it will look lovely too :)!

23 minutes ago, Hayley said:

@Athena are those Christmas giant microbes on your tree!?? My sister would absolutely love those! 

It looks great, I can't wait to put mine up :D

Yes, they are :D!! I'm a big fan of them. I ordered these (the three old Christmas sets) from America a few years ago (nowadays there is a UK and even an NL website I think?), and they cost a lot at the time in terms of the total price + shipping + import tax, but I'm very very happy with them, I love them. It's nice your sister also really likes them :).

Have fun with your decorations, I'm sure it will look great too :)!

I've put up my Advent tree, it's a small wooden tree and you add a decoration each day - I'm having trouble deciding which decoration to choose already!  I was going to put my other tree up when we got back from shopping, but had an unexpected long phone call, then it was time for supper and Strictly, so I still haven't done it yet!