Your Book Activity - September 2017

Athena

Currently reading My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell - why have I waited so long to read this one? It's wonderful - charming and funny, I'm loving it. :D

Bought the first book for the new book group I'm going to join this week.  It's called Spontaneous by Aaron Starmer, and I've never heard of it before, but it sounds like an interesting YA book, so I'm looking forward to it, but I need to get a move on with my current book so that I can make a start as soon as possible!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

Currently reading My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell - why have I waited so long to read this one? It's wonderful - charming and funny, I'm loving it. :D

One of my absolute favourites! I've re-read his trilogy so many times. Such a joy, it's my go-to comfort blanket book :D It's very worthwhile reading the whole trilogy which includes Birds, Beasts and Relatives and The Gardens of the Gods.

On 25/09/2017 at 3:06 PM, shirley said:

My book reading for this week is:

JoJo Moyes - After you

I read this recently. Thought it was ok, but not as good as it's prequel. 

On 29/09/2017 at 12:04 PM, Onion Budgie said:

Now on to Murder On the Orient Express, which is (of course) another Poirot.  I already know the twist in this one, but never mind!  It's still going to be a fun ride.

I have this on my Kindle waiting to be read. I've never read an Agatha Christie book, but I hope to get to this one this year.

I'm so far behind on reviews. I haven't even updated my Reading List with books I have read, so I will have to get onto that soon!  I've been in a slump in the last few months, and somehow failed to notice that it was being in my new job that was wearing me down. :rolleyes: Anyway, it all ended in tears (literally - I was so embarrassed :blush:) a couple of weeks ago and I have now moved back to my old office and feeling much better! So, hopefully I can catch up on my reviews, if I remember what the books were about. :blush:

I've just finished Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarity last night, and it was so, so good. I thought it would be a light and fluffy chick-lit book, but there was actually a lot of depth there. It was so good that it's kind of put me off choosing another book to read as I'm still thinking about it!!

Toying with the idea of buying Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and Owen King, but the premise hasn't grabbed me, so I'm still hesitating. Decisions, decisions.....

4 hours ago, bobblybear said:

I read this recently. Thought it was ok, but not as good as it's prequel. 

I have this on my Kindle waiting to be read. I've never read an Agatha Christie book, but 

I've just finished Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarity last night, and it was so, so good. I thought it would be a light and fluffy chick-lit book, but there was actually a lot of depth there. It was so good that it's kind of put me off choosing another book to read as I'm still thinking about it!!

It was really, really good, wasn't it?!?! Oh man I loved it 😊

8 hours ago, bobblybear said:

've just finished Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarity last night, and it was so, so good. I thought it would be a light and fluffy chick-lit book, but there was actually a lot of depth there. It was so good that it's kind of put me off choosing another book to read as I'm still thinking about it!!

I saw the recent tv series on Sky which I enjoyed. I didn't realise until now that it was based on a book though! :o

I finally finished A Short History of Everything by Bill Bryson yesterday. It only took me 7 months. :lol: Still, this was based on very inconsistent lunchtime reading. I wasn't expecting to finish it quite so soon though, as I was only 75% through it, but the last 25% was just references, bibliography and the index!

Edited by More reading time required

11 hours ago, frankie said:

It was really, really good, wasn't it?!?! Oh man I loved it 😊

It was brilliant....one of the best I've read this year! Have you seen the series?

7 hours ago, More reading time required said:

I saw the recent tv series on Sky which I enjoyed. I didn't realise until now that it was based on a book though! :o

I finally finished A Short History of Everything by Bill Bryson yesterday. It only took me 7 months. :lol: Still, this was based on very inconsistent lunchtime reading. I wasn't expecting to finish it quite so soon though, as I was only 75% through it, but the last 25% was just references, bibliography and the index!

I'm hoping the series will appear on Netflix or Freeview as I'm dying to see it!!

I love A Short History of Nearly Everything. I've read it a couple of times, and like you it takes me months to read. It's the perfect book to dip in and out of. 

17 hours ago, More reading time required said:

I loved the series as well, I thought her books were run of the mill chick-lit but obviously not, just how they've been marketed.  Good to see the cast doing well at the Emmys the other week.