Your Book Activity - September 2017

Athena

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Yep love 'em.  Haven't read that one yet though.

It was great, although you have to take the time it was written into account with the sexual politics. Will definitely be reading more though! :)

Today, I've read At the Edge of the Orchard by Tracy Chevalier, which I loved, perhaps not as much as some of her others, but definitely one of the better ones.

15 minutes ago, chesilbeach said:

Today, I've read At the Edge of the Orchard by Tracy Chevalier, which I loved, perhaps not as much as some of her others, but definitely one of the better ones.

That's good to know, I've wanted to read Girl With the Pearl Earring for a long time and The Last Runaway as well.

I wanted to read It by Stephen King, but no library nearby has it, so I ordered it online. I also ordered two other novels by him, because from 20 euros onwards there are no shipping costs.

Looking forward to receiving ItThe Shining and Salem's Lot

So far I've only read Under The Dome by him. I also own 11/22/63.

1 hour ago, Alexander the Great said:

I wanted to read It by Stephen King, but no library nearby has it, so I ordered it online. I also ordered two other novels by him, because from 20 euros onwards there are no shipping costs.

Looking forward to receiving ItThe Shining and Salem's Lot

So far I've only read Under The Dome by him. I also own 11/22/63.

I've got Under the Dome on my TBR, but I really liked 11/22/63. You'll be reading the King's I haven't read!

3 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

I liked Girl With A Pearl Earring, but Falling Angels is my favourite - I've got The Last Runaway on my TBR :)

I've seen Falling Angels, I'll have to check it out :)

Still reading The Reckoning and Ciara's Diary, been sick the last few days so reading has been slow.

I've also bought The Loneliest Girl In The Universe, and can't wait to start reading it, but really must finish one of the other two first.

Since I last posted, I've read The Big Little Wedding in Carlton Square by Lilly Bartlett and The House at the Edge of the World by Julia Rochester, and I'm three quarters of the way through Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders, which was today announced as being on the shortlist for the Man Booker Prize for this year.

I'm now past the halfway mark on Days Without End by Sebastian Barry -- which just missed out on making the shortlist for the Man Booker!  Booooo!  It's ever so good.

Once I've finished that, it'll be on to Lord Edgware Dies by Agatha Christie, but that won't be until next week.  Something to look forward to, though. :) 

On 10.9.2017 at 10:34 PM, Alexander the Great said:

Is it because of the new It movie? Or is it a coincidence? I hope you will enjoy all those King novels! :smile2: I haven't read Salem's Lot myself, I have it on my TBR pile... 

Still reading True Love at the Lonely Hearts Bookshop. Nothing spectacular. 

Finished The Reckoning, really enjoyed it but gave it three stars as I preferred the first book in the series and I gave that four. And apparently the series gets way better, so I'm holding out on the five stars!

Now over halfway through The Loneliest Girl in the Universe. It's really good, a very quick read and I can't wait to see what happens.

Finished Lincoln in the Bardo which I personally found hard going. Taking a much lighter tone next, with Summer at the Comfort Food Cafe just as a bit of a palette cleanser!

Found an Anita Brookner book at the second hand bookshop today, A Misalliance but will be saving that for later as I want to read her books in order, and there are three more before this one I haven't read yet:)

11 hours ago, frankie said:

Is it because of the new It movie? Or is it a coincidence? I hope you will enjoy all those King novels! :smile2: I haven't read Salem's Lot myself, I have it on my TBR pile... 

Still reading True Love at the Lonely Hearts Bookshop. Nothing spectacular. 

I'm an Epica fanboy, as you've probably realised by now. The band's on tour in the US right now and they did a live chat recently. I'd gathered it before that, but during the live chat someone asked about the last book they'd read and Coen said he'd read It and then Simone said they were going to see the movie in theatre while in the US. So in a way, it is indeed because of the movie!

I'm kind of sad that my copy came with a bit of a cracked cover :( But not sad enough to spend time and money sending it back, then getting a new one with probably a different kind of damage. Sadly this is what you get buying online. This is what I mean:

DJqQiqQX0AAfxVn.jpg 

I'm now re-reading Matilda by Roald Dahl, my first time in English. Still love it.

11 hours ago, Alexander the Great said:

I'm kind of sad that my copy came with a bit of a cracked cover :( But not sad enough to spend time and money sending it back, then getting a new one with probably a different kind of damage. Sadly this is what you get buying online.

That's not nice :(. I've received books damaged as well, but I've never sent them back. I don't like all that hassle. I do love that IT cover though, I have the same one :) (and I also have a Dutch copy).

I hope you enjoy Matilda :).

I finished reading Sara Barnard - A Quiet Kind of Thunder yesterday, but I'm not sure what book I feel in the mood for, to read next. Today I'm spending a bit of time with family so perhaps in the later afternoon I'll have another look at my shelves (I had one look earlier but didn't find anything that I really felt in the mood to read).

14 hours ago, Alexander the Great said:

I'm kind of sad that my copy came with a bit of a cracked cover :( But not sad enough to spend time and money sending it back, then getting a new one with probably a different kind of damage. Sadly this is what you get buying online.

If it's Amazon, I normally complain about damaged goods and then I get  a voucher or a refund as an alternative to sending it back. It depends if you can cope with or not. The worst experience was when I bought some Lego for birthday party James was going to and it arrived with a crushed box. There was no time to guarantee a replacement in time (even though we have Prime), so I complained, got the money refunded and handed the present over whilst apologising for the state of the box!

We normally just read short picture books with my son at bedtime, but earlier in the week he found my set of Redwall books that he'd put on his shelf (for future use) and wanted us to read that to him. So I'm currently having great fun reading Redwall to him and putting on some appropriate voices for the characters. :D  Mind you, the language used is pretty advanced seeing as it's supposed to be for 9+! :o James seems to be enjoying it so far, however.  

Tom read it to him last night though, so I'm going to have to skim read the bit I missed before I can carry on. ;) 

22 hours ago, Alexander the Great said:

I'm an Epica fanboy, as you've probably realised by now. The band's on tour in the US right now and they did a live chat recently. I'd gathered it before that, but during the live chat someone asked about the last book they'd read and Coen said he'd read It and then Simone said they were going to see the movie in theatre while in the US. So in a way, it is indeed because of the movie!

Ah, so it was partly thanks to the movie, but really thanks to Epica :D   Anyways, I hope you enjoy the novel! It's long but I loved it. King is amazing in making characters come alive. You just want to know more and more about them. 

Sorry about the damage on the book, though! :(  That's so annoying. But maybe do as More reading time required suggested?

7 hours ago, More reading time required said:

If it's Amazon, I normally complain about damaged goods and then I get  a voucher or a refund as an alternative to sending it back. It depends if you can cope with or not. The worst experience was when I bought some Lego for birthday party James was going to and it arrived with a crushed box. There was no time to guarantee a replacement in time (even though we have Prime), so I complained, got the money refunded and handed the present over whilst apologising for the state of the box!

So that would mean AtG would get a voucher or a refund, and also get to keep the book? Not bad customer service at all! 

Bought myself a couple of books today - Look At Me by Anita Brookner and, unusually for me, a book of poetry called You Took The Last Bus Home by Brian Bilston.  I've started reading Look At Me as it's the book being discussed on Backlisted podcast next week, and I'd like to finish it before I hear the discussion. :)

On 15-9-2017 at 12:48 PM, More reading time required said:

22 hours ago, frankie said:

Ah, so it was partly thanks to the movie, but really thanks to Epica :D   Anyways, I hope you enjoy the novel! It's long but I loved it. King is amazing in making characters come alive. You just want to know more and more about them. 

Sorry about the damage on the book, though! :(  That's so annoying. But maybe do as More reading time required suggested?

So that would mean AtG would get a voucher or a refund, and also get to keep the book? Not bad customer service at all! 

Sadly, I can't do this - I ordered from bol.com. I could return it, maybe, but it involves going to the post office which I can only do once a week, with a stretch twice, and it's a hassle. I've ordered from Amazon before, but that usually takes a while to arrive.

I've just finished Matilda by Roald Dahl - loved it every bit as much as I did the first time. Moving on to Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson. I wanted to read It, but I had to be in the library this week and I got distracted.

currently reading a box set of 4 books by Holy Greene Spring in Skiathos which I have just finished Summer in Santorini - Autumn in Crete and Winter in Rhodes.  I think this will set me up nicely before I go away in two weeks time.  Not going to Greece but it is setting me up for some sunshine.