Your Book Activity - September 2017

Athena

Wow, it's September!!

I'm between reads at the moment but am thinking I'll re-read another children's book, perhaps Rachel Renée Russell - Dork Diaries 1: Dork Diaries: Tales From a Not-So-Fabulous Life (this is UK title I think).

I also have some books to catalogue, as I've bought some recently.

What's your book activity today?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Landskipping by Anna Pavord, which was a book from last year's Wainwright Prize long list that I still had on my shelf, and it was worth the wait!  I thought it was a wonderful book, and especially loved the last few chapters with so much focus on my beloved west Dorset. :D 

Bought a signed copy of Autumn by Ali Smith! :wub:  I've been meaning to get this one for a while, and when I stopped in a Waterstone's today and saw they'd picked the book for their fiction book of the month, and then saw they had a signed copy, it was too good an opportunity to miss!  Can't wait to see her at an event in a couple of months next time, especially as she'll be discussing my absolute favourite book of all time,  Girl Meets Boy.  So excited :exc: 

I have just finished Persuasion. I am not a Jane Austen lover, I found the two novels I read rather dull previous to this. However, I really liked this one. It kept me interested throughout. A strong 3*.

I am going to continue with reducing my TBR pile this month, reading books I own or have a physical copy of, as well as reading one or two classics. 

Hope everybody has a great September :) 

I finished A Change of Climate by Hilary Mantel.  It was gloomy, but I enjoyed it, although some of the dialogue was peculiarly stilted and unconvincing.  3/5

I'm delaying my autumnal murder-mystery binge for Sebastian Barry's Days Without End.  It's on this year's Man Booker longlist, and it sounds fantastic.  I'm reading it now, because if it does make the shortlist and then goes on to win the thing, I'll be able to nod knowingly and bellow I TOLD YOU SO! at people. :)

Finished Lockwood & Co: The Whispering Skull today.  The second book in the series and as good as the first.  Definitely going to read the whole lot at some point - there are five full length novels plus a short story in total.

Staying with a YA theme, I'm going carry on with Ash and Quill by Rachel Caine, which is the third book in her Great Library series.

Finished Eleanor Oliphant. My opinion remains the same - quirky oddballs as a source of amusement to readers doesn't sit well with me. But yay, Raymond. Lovely, lovely Raymond.

Also read The Iron Man, by Ted Hughes, which I had never read before despite my absolute love of the film based on it. My OH whipped out the book during a chat about the movie, which he also loves! :D It's.... very different, and very odd, but I liked it.

Also nearly finished Silent Scream by Angela Marsons. I dislike the main character, but I'm developing sympathy which is making her tolerable. Also, the 'whodunnit' element is very obvious. Otherwise, a very enjoyable book.

On 9/4/2017 at 11:54 AM, Nollaig said:

Finished Eleanor Oliphant. My opinion remains the same - quirky oddballs as a source of amusement to readers doesn't sit well with me. But yay, Raymond. Lovely, lovely Raymond.

I listened to this on audiobook.  I quite liked the start, but found it got more and more predictable as it went on and thought it was a bit average by the end, but like you I loved Raymond too. :D

I'm about half way through Ash and Quill now, and enjoying it just as much as the first two in the series.  I've been catching up on the Backlisted podcast as well as following them on twitter and have quite a few books added to my wishlist, which I might be tempted to buy and read rather than read books already on my TBR! :lurker:  

An Amazon pre-order arrived today: Ciara's Diary 1999-2002: Sense and Shiftability.

Ciara's Diary is a segment on a radio show I love (Chris and Ciara) and is made up of said Ciara reading entries from her teenage self, just before, and while attending, college. It's hilarious. Very relatable to Irish people from the same generation. Now she's published the whole set in this book, which I cannot wait to read!

Finished Tall Oaks. Distinctly did not like it. Entirely character driven and all the characters were flatter than pancakes, so I really didn't give a toss about what happened to any of them.

Enjoying Ciara's Diary so far, and have started the second Meave Kerrigan thriller - The Reckoning.

1 hour ago, Nollaig said:

Finished Tall Oaks. Distinctly did not like it. Entirely character driven and all the characters were flatter than pancakes, so I really didn't give a toss about what happened to any of them.

I don't know if that was intentional, but that was brilliantly put.

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it though.

I'm still reading Wizard & Glass, but only about 200 pages from completion. My reading has slowed a tad, but I'm still very much enjoying the series.

When we visited friends in Newcastle a couple of weekends ago, he asked me if I'd read the latest Robin Hobb trilogy - The Fitz & the Fool trilogy, which had completely passed me by. Anyway, I came away from there with 3 humongous hardbacks that he loaned me. :) 

I read The Big Dreams Beach Hotel by Lilly Bartlett (aka Michele Gorman) yesterday.  It was a decent enough escapist rom com. Today, I've started Madam, Will You Talk? by Mary Stewart and I'm loving it!  I think @Madeleine and @Little Pixie have read some of her books already but I'm really enjoying it :D