Your Book Activity - March 2017

Kylie

Nice! Those illustrations look familiar. Do you know if they're the original illustrations?

Yes, they are. John Leech is his name. :)

I started reading The Island of Doctor Moreau by HG Wells last night. It's one of those books that I've been meaning to read for many years. I'm already halfway through and really enjoying it. :)

I have that one on my to-read pile, so I'm glad you're enjoying it. :)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started and finished The Secret of Nightingale Wood by Lucy Strange yesterday. :)

Next up, I'll be reading The Smell of Other People's Houses by Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock, which I treated myself to a couple of weeks ago for my birthday. :smile2:

I'm also nearing the end of the former. I really liked the latter, it's very unusual and at points I was leaning towards 3 stars for it, but gave it 4 in the end because it just had this really unique quality I loved.

I finally finished Loney. Didn't like it. So happy to be able to start a new book! 

Oh dear. I started that a while back, and it seemed quite slow so I put it down early on and moved onto something else. Wonder if I should not bother going back :giggle:

I finished Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn - I really enjoyed it! It's the first book I've read by her, and was surprised by how dark and unrelenting it was in a lot of ways. I might still avoid Gone Girl, but I'd definitely like to read more by her.

I finished The Smell of Other People's Houses yesterday evening. I enjoyed reading it, and Alaska was an unusual setting, and with the different indigenous people and set at the time it became a US state, I thought it was a bit different from the normal.

Started Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk today, which has got off to an intriguing start. :)

I finished The Versions of Us and started Elantris by Brandon Sanderson which I'm really enjoying so far.

I popped to the library with the little'un today and invariably came away with more books for me - Girl on a train (so I can see what all the fuss is about) and an adaptation of The Killing 3 as I missed this when it was on telly (being embroiled in first time motherhood) and it has steadfastly refused to go onto any streaming service thus far, so I will just have to read it instead!

I finished The Versions of Us and started Elantris by Brandon Sanderson which I'm really enjoying so far.

I hope you enjoy Elantris :)!

I started reading Allie Brosh - Hyperbole and a Half, so far it's a quite enjoyable memoir with nice illustrations.

I finished The Secret of Nightingale Wood - wasn't too sure about it at the beginning but it got really good and surprisingly dark (but with a happy ending!)

Started The Shuddering by Ania Ahlborn for a bit of classic horror-in-the-woods. Read a third of it last night, enjoying it so far!

Finished The Amateur Marriage by Anne Tyler, the first novel of hers that I've read.  Interesting structure - snapshots in the lives of Michael and Pauline from the day they met at 5-10 year or so intervals, building a picture of their relationship.  Whilst some reviewers have said this is one of her weaker novels, I enjoyed it enough to want to read more of her.

Now started The Waiting Time by Gerald Seymour - a bit of a surprise birthday present - a surprise because it's not my normal style, but OH thought the setting might appeal given that we'd cycle toured the area in the summer.  A new venture!

Edited by willoyd

Unrelated to your book activity, but related to your avatar: Have you seen the new trailer for Deadpool 2?  :rolol:

Yes, very good.  I especially like the Firefly posters in the background.

In book news, I started reading Guards! Guards! last night.  Maybe it will kick start a reading spree, who knows?

Just finished Wolf Hollow.  Excellent book, and I've now read five out of six of the shortlisted books for younger readers in the Waterstone's Children's Book Prize for this year, and I've no idea how the judges will pick just one winner.  I could easily pick Wolf Hollow, Cogheart or Beetle Boy and think I'd made the right choice only to change my mind five minutes later! :D

It could equally have been chick-lit where the romance revolved around a couples liking of a chocolate covered coconut snack.

:giggle2:!

I'm currently reading Nick Spalding - Life... 1: Life With No Breaks, a memoir the author wrote in I believe just over a day (I think 30 hours). I've read several fictional books by this author, so far it's interesting to learn about more about him. There is a sequel (Life on a High) which the author wrote during a long plane journey, which I plan to be reading next (at least, if I still feel like it after finishing Life With No Breaks).

Finished The Shuddering by Ania Ahlborn - it was a light easy horror story (it felt more like YA than adult) but I actually really enjoyed it. I've started Seed by the same author and am enjoying that too.

I also bought Vicious by V. E. Schwab and Inside The O'Briens by Lisa Genova from the March Kindle Monthly Deals.

:giggle2:!

I'm currently reading Nick Spalding - Life... 1: Life With No Breaks, a memoir the author wrote in I believe just over a day (I think 30 hours). I've read several fictional books by this author, so far it's interesting to learn about more about him. There is a sequel (Life on a High) which the author wrote during a long plane journey, which I plan to be reading next (at least, if I still feel like it after finishing Life With No Breaks).

Oh, I read that a few years ago. I think it was a kindle freebie?  I seem to recall that I enjoyed it :) I didn't realise there was a sequel, I'll have to look it up.

Oh dear. I started that a while back, and it seemed quite slow so I put it down early on and moved onto something else. Wonder if I should not bother going back :giggle:

I already responded to your post in my reading log, but I'd say that it doesn't get much faster later on, and personally I wouldn't recommend bothering with it. :D 

I finished Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn - I really enjoyed it! It's the first book I've read by her, and was surprised by how dark and unrelenting it was in a lot of ways. I might still avoid Gone Girl, but I'd definitely like to read more by her.

Sharp Objects was great! I would also recommend Dark Place by the same author. I first read Gone Girl and really liked it, but then I read SO and DP and thought those two were sooo much better than GG. :yes: 

I'm abadoning The Evenings by Gerard Reve because I can't face another night reading the book. Don't know what to read next. I really need something absolutely riveting! 

Oh, I read that a few years ago. I think it was a kindle freebie?  I seem to recall that I enjoyed it :) I didn't realise there was a sequel, I'll have to look it up.

Nice to hear of someone else who liked the book :). I've got a paperbook copy. Nick Spalding wrote the sequel I think about a year later (according to my copy, 2011 vs. 2010). So far I'm enjoying it :).

I already responded to your post in my reading log, but I'd say that it doesn't get much faster later on, and personally I wouldn't recommend bothering with it. :D

Sharp Objects was great! I would also recommend Dark Place by the same author. I first read Gone Girl and really liked it, but then I read SO and DP and thought those two were sooo much better than GG. :yes:

Oooh excellent, thanks for the recommendations. There are a LOT of opinions out there about Gone Girl, many not so favourable, so I've always avoided it, but given how much I enjoyed Sharp Objects I kinda want to read it anyway. I also have Dark Places, so I'm glad to hear that comes as highly recommended. :D

I'm nearly halfway through Seed and still enjoying it. it's better written than The Shuddering, but I have to admit the latter is probably more my style of horror, so Seed isn't doing quite as well.

Started reading The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George today.  I didn't have a very long break today so only managed about 30 pages, but I like it so far. :)

I started this book last year and I still haven't finished it. I hope you have more luck with it than I have Claire...not quite sure what it is, but almost like the story isn't going anywhere, despite them being on a floating library.... I'll get there eventually.

I'm enjoying 'Reflection' a the moment, but then I always enjoy Diane Chamberlain reads... :D 

I'm enjoying 'Reflection' a the moment, but then I always enjoy Diane Chamberlain reads... :D 

I look forward to hear what you think of it when you've finished it, glad it's good so far :D.

I'm currently reading Nick Spalding - Life... 2: Life on a High (I should've added that to my post earlier in this thread but I forgot).

I've ordered "Confessions of Young Nero" by Margaret George in hardback, and as Amazon allows the buyer to preview a book on their Kindle, I've read the first 5 chapters. Can't wait to get the book in hand to read it!

I started this book last year and I still haven't finished it. I hope you have more luck with it than I have Claire...not quite sure what it is, but almost like the story isn't going anywhere, despite them being on a floating library.... I'll get there eventually.

I only managed another 30 pages or so at lunchtime but I'm okay with it so far, I guess I'll just have to see where it goes. Hoping to spend a good hour or two with it tomorrow afternoon. :D

I've read some good books recently

A Lovers Complaint by William Shakespeare.

I really quite enjoyed this, I don't tend to read poetry so it was a nice change. 4 stars.

The Reigate Squires by Arthur Conan Doyle.

This wasn't my favourite Sherlock Holmes story but I enjoyed it still and it was nice and short. 3 stars.

The Last Letter From Your Lover by JoJo Moyes.

I really loved this! I loved the historic side to it. I do personally think it would have been better to be written in first person rather than third. A delightful read for me overall. 5 stars

Then I read Where Rainbows End by Cecelia Ahern.

Boy was this a let down. I liked the characters enough, I liked how the book was written in letter form. It was just far too long and could have ended at least 200 pages before it did. I got bored of it too quickly. Then the ending was not at all worth waiting for.

One star.