Your Book Activity - February 2017

Kylie

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished The Blackhouse by Peter May. I really enjoyed it, but have mixed feelings (it wasn't really a thriller, which I didn't realise til quite far into it - and the actual murder investigation story was pretty weak - but the (confusingly laid out) recollections were great and the writing fantastic. Hm!) I don't think reading it immediately after Coffin Road helped, because I preferred the story in Coffin Road but it wasn't as well written and now I feel like some weird mix of the two books would have been ideal :giggle: It seems like it was a very standalone story, even though it's part of a trilogy, so I'm taking a short break from May before I go on to read the second in the trilogy.

I've just started The Silent Twin by Caroline Mitchell and made some progress with The Trees last night.

I think the Lewis Trilogy is better than Coffin Road, and probably thought the opposite to you!  I agree Coffin Road isn't as well written as the Blackhouse, if you do read the rest of the trilogy then events in the first book come back in the 3rd one, and it sort of comes full circle.

I finished The Clan of the Cave Bear. Unfortunately I have read it too many times, so I kind of rushed through it just to finish it. I then picked up Are We Nearly There Yet? by Ben Hatch, but I may abandon it as it's not what I was expecting. So, I've now moved on to A Time for Silence by Thorne Moore which I am enjoying a lot.

Last night, I used the fact that my hubby wanted to watch The Flash as an opportunity to tear through the last third of The Alloy of Law (rather than boringly using that time to get washing up/clothes washing/making lunch chores out of the way, which is what I'd normally have done). Then I started the first of my library books: Swallows & Amazons by Arthur Ransome.

Going to sit down with The Painted Dragon again this afternoon. :smile2:

Then I started the first of my library books: Swallows & Amazons by Arthur Ransome.

I started listening to the audiobook last year, but really didn't like it - partly the story and partly the narrator. It's one of my English Counties books, so I think I'll try and read the book instead of listening to see if it fares better, as I don't want to give up on it because of the challenge.

My next books to read are:

The curious incident of the dog in the night time - Mark Haddon

Oooh, I really hope you enjoy this one! :smile2: I loved it! :) 

I'm still reading The Couple Next Door, I've not gotten past 50 pages or so. I don't blame the book, I've just not been a reading mode :unsure: 

I wonder if the weather or time of year can have an affect on your mood to read. I've just recently started reading as I usually do after a couple of weeks where the thought of reading just gave me a headache. Hopefully you'll feel good enough to enjoy your reading soon enough :)

I just finished A Tiny Bit Marvellous by Dawn French. Very very disappointing. I did not like any of the characters, the teenager daughter was disgusting and the storyline itself wasn't anything new or original. It's my first 1 star rating of the year (hopefully not many more of them to come)

I wonder if the weather or time of year can have an affect on your mood to read. I've just recently started reading as I usually do after a couple of weeks where the thought of reading just gave me a headache. Hopefully you'll feel good enough to enjoy your reading soon enough :)

I don't know... at least it can't be in the water as we don't have the same in our taps :D Here's hoping for a more reading-a-plenty time!  :readingtwo: 

I just finished A Tiny Bit Marvellous by Dawn French. Very very disappointing. I did not like any of the characters, the teenager daughter was disgusting and the storyline itself wasn't anything new or original. It's my first 1 star rating of the year (hopefully not many more of them to come)

Ouch, that's very early for one's first 1 star rating in the year! :unsure: Better luck with the rest of your reads this year! 

I'm wondering if I should just pick another book to read, or still keep trying with The Couple Next Door. I do not want to abandon the book, but I wonder if I'd get on better with some other novel. 

Just the 10... :)

Hah, must be contagious!  :D  We went to the monthly Library Sale today for the first time in ages......bought 10 books. 

In spite of having three on the go, I have begun, about a hundred odd pages in, Hawaii by James Michener.  Yummy!

Hah, must be contagious! :D We went to the monthly Library Sale today for the first time in ages......bought 10 books.

What a coincidence :D. Will you be posting a list in your thread? I hope you enjoy all of them :).

Now I'm reading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, which I bought last night.

I hope you enjoy this one :). I really liked it.

Oops, I've had a bit of a splurge this weekend. :blush:

I was going through the different Kindle sales and bought:

The Ashes of London by Andrew Taylor
The Bookshop on Rosemary Lane by Ellen Berry
A Very Distant Shore by Jenny Colgan
Paper and Fire by Rachel Caine
The Love Detective by Alexandra Potter

And then I had to go to town to get some birthday presents for my goddaughter (books, obviously) and ended up buying these for me:

Beetle Queen by M G Leonard
Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk
The Secret of Nightingale Wood by Lucy Strange

I have managed to finish reading a book as well - The Painted Dragon by Katherine Woodfine - but haven't picked out what I'm going to read next yet.

Oops, I've had a bit of a splurge this weekend. :blush:

I was going through the different Kindle sales and bought:

The Ashes of London by Andrew Taylor

The Bookshop on Rosemary Lane by Ellen Berry

A Very Distant Shore by Jenny Colgan

Paper and Fire by Rachel Caine

The Love Detective by Alexandra Potter

And then I had to go to town to get some birthday presents for my goddaughter (books, obviously) and ended up buying these for me:

Beetle Queen by M G Leonard

Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk

The Secret of Nightingale Wood by Lucy Strange

I have managed to finish reading a book as well - The Painted Dragon by Katherine Woodfine - but haven't picked out what I'm going to read next yet.

Splurging is good :D Hope you enjoy your new books Claire .. well done on finishing the new Katherine Woodfine already .. you woofed that up!! :D Was it as good as the other two?

Your goddaughter is a very lucky young lady! Such treasures :wub:  

Co-incidentally I've just finished The Secret of Nightingale Wood .. lovely read .. thanks Claire xx I'm reading The January Man: A Year of Walking Britain by Christopher Somerville. I was going to read it in chunks .. taking me through the year but it's so good that I'm going on with it. Also continuing with Flight of the Mind: The Letters of Virginia Woolf Vol 1 and reading from A Poem For Every Night of the Year by Allie Esiri.   

I'm a third of the way through The Mystery of the Crystal Skulls by Chris Morton and Ceri Louise Thomas, and it's marvellous so far.  I'm learning all about the Aztecs, and what a bloodthirsty, sacrificial, power-hungry bunch they were.  The book also has a large insert of colour plates -- nice!

Ouch, that's very early for one's first 1 star rating in the year! :unsure: Better luck with the rest of your reads this year! 

I'm wondering if I should just pick another book to read, or still keep trying with The Couple Next Door. I do not want to abandon the book, but I wonder if I'd get on better with some other novel.

I thought the same. Last year my first one star was in march and then not again til October, which was a nice stretch. I am lucky I have only rated 7 books one star in total. But I only rate books that I finish.

Did you decide to leave The Couple Next Door for now?

Hope you enjoyed your splurge, Chesilbeach :)

Yesterday I visited an excellent indie bookshop in Sydney and splurged on a couple of books. I bought The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan and The Hound of Death by Agatha Christie, as well as the Emma expansion to the Marrying Mr Darcy card game (not that I've even played the original game yet! :().

The Lifeboat was bought on Poppyshake's recommendation. I started reading it on the train on the way home and I'm already enjoying it. :)