Your Book Activity - February 2017

Kylie

I've got this on my TBR. Sounds right up my street.

Hope you're liking it so far.

I haven't had time to read much further, so I'm still only maybe 40 pages in. But this is the kind of stuff I would read, too :) Edit: Oh yeah and I forgot: I'm liking what I've read so far! 

I've read this, I quite liked it but I wasn't crazy about it. One of those 'I enjoyed it at the time' books.

From what I've read on your reading log (we rarely read the same books, or are interested in the same type of books, so I rarely comment), you aren't maybe as big on psychological thrillers as I am, or at least maybe go for the different ones? I really don't mind reading a number of 'I enjoyed it at the time' sort of books at the moment, because that's still a huge improvement from last year when I had a hard time finishing and enjoying anything :)

Edited by frankie

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pre-ordered Jenny Colgan's latest book, The Seaside Summer Kitchen, and that was out this week, so I've just downloaded it onto my Kindle today.  I've also remembered I haven't looked at the new monthly Kindle sale for February, and they've got a half-term sale with loads of MG and YA books on it, so I think I'll be browsing those today.  I've given up worrying how big the TBR is now!  :lol: 

I finished The Shepherd's Crown :wibbly: (review to follow when I finally get round to putting a new thread up :D) and started The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson.

I hope you enjoy The Alloy of Law :).

I pre-ordered Jenny Colgan's latest book, The Seaside Summer Kitchen, and that was out this week, so I've just downloaded it onto my Kindle today.  I've also remembered I haven't looked at the new monthly Kindle sale for February, and they've got a half-term sale with loads of MG and YA books on it, so I think I'll be browsing those today.  I've given up worrying how big the TBR is now!   :lol: 

I hope you find lots of nice books :)!

I've read almost half of Cassandra Clare - The Mortal Instruments 2: City of Ashes, page 207 out of 453. So far I'm enjoying it :).

Read some more of The Seaside Summer Kitchen by Jenny Colgan this morning, and hoping to finish it this weekend.

Bought myself two new books - The Painted Dragon by Katherine Woodfine and Anna and the Swallow Man by Gavriel Savit.  I know I have a lot of MG and YA books already, but I just can't resist when Waterstone's have their Children's Book Prize shortlists on display. :doh:

From what I've read on your reading log (we rarely read the same books, or are interested in the same type of books, so I rarely comment), you aren't maybe as big on psychological thrillers as I am, or at least maybe go for the different ones? I really don't mind reading a number of 'I enjoyed it at the time' sort of books at the moment, because that's still a huge improvement from last year when I had a hard time finishing and enjoying anything :)

Oh no no no, don't get me wrong, 'I enjoyed it at the time' makes up like 75% of my reading, I adore psych thrillers, even if I come away feeling like they're not earth shattering books, I still enjoy reading them. I'm just very, very critical is all! :)

Oh no no no, don't get me wrong, 'I enjoyed it at the time' makes up like 75% of my reading, I adore psych thrillers, even if I come away feeling like they're not earth shattering books, I still enjoy reading them. I'm just very, very critical is all! :)

I must be confusing you with someone else then, because I really thought you weren't a big fan of psych thrillers :) Or maybe it was some other genre and I got things mixed up! Actually the latter seems more probable a scenario... Sorry, my mistake! :) 

Glad you're enjoying Lorna now, Will, hope you feel better soon, from a fellow cougher, horrible isn't it!

Sure is, but thank you, and hope you are better soon too!

I've started and stopped reading my reading group's choice for this month, Two Brothers by Ben Elton.  On the short list for the worst book of the year already.  Thank goodness, I can go straight back to Lorna.  More details on my own thread!

I try not to worry too much about having a target either, I usually aim for around 50 books, which is roughly 4 a month, but I don't want to get worked up about something I'm meant to enjoy - had enough of that at school with books we had to read!

I finished Ancestor Stones this morning. It was ok....I think I got a little lost with the story along the way. :dunno:

Now I'm reading The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell. It's a re-read, but I have forgotten so many details it's almost like reading it for the first time.

I started reading Ashes of London by Andrew Taylor yesterday.   I had picked it up a few times and then it was only 99p on Kindle.  He's a new author to me, but so far, so good.   :)  My Mum said she enjoyed American Boy and we have similar taste in books.

I must be confusing you with someone else then, because I really thought you weren't a big fan of psych thrillers :) Or maybe it was some other genre and I got things mixed up! Actually the latter seems more probable a scenario... Sorry, my mistake! :)

No worries! I definitely love them. I read a couple of Linwood Barclays, I think, on your recommendation, and really enjoyed them.

I finished Coffin Road by Peter May, and though I know others on here thought it was good but not amazing, I loved it! Absolutely loved it. Not quite five star, but definitely one I'd buy in hardcopy and read again in the future so I gave it four stars. I've bought The Blackhouse, the first in his Lewis trilogy which people seem to prefer, and am super excited to read it! :D

I also *really* need to finish The Trees. Thankfully it's an easy book to remember the details of, I'm just more in the mood for thrillers at the moment so even though The Trees is really great, it got put aside. I *will* finish it this week.

I finished Coffin Road by Peter May, and though I know others on here thought it was good but not amazing, I loved it! Absolutely loved it. Not quite five star, but definitely one I'd buy in hardcopy and read again in the future so I gave it four stars. I've bought The Blackhouse, the first in his Lewis trilogy which people seem to prefer, and am super excited to read it! :D

Yay!  :D   :friends3:   That's how I felt too - it lost a mark for having a slowish start, but it's stuck with me.

I bet you loved Bran!  I know I did!  We're planning to listen to The Blackhouse when we go 'up North' later this year.  :) 

I finished The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox. Very good read....I'd almost forgotten the ending!

For some reason I'm in a re-reading mood so I've started The Clan of the Cave Bear. I never realised how carried away the author got with descriptions of the landscape. :thud:

Yay!  :D   :friends3:   That's how I felt too - it lost a mark for having a slowish start, but it's stuck with me.

I bet you loved Bran!  I know I did!  We're planning to listen to The Blackhouse when we go 'up North' later this year.  :)

Yes me too - Bran was lovely wasn't he!

I made the mistake of going into the library with my daughter today. Whilst I was in the kids section I looked across and saw Swallows & Amazons and as I'd never read it, decided to borrow it. Then whilst I was at the automated machine, I saw another book I wanted to borrow, The Versions of Us, then turned around and saw Elantris by Brandon Sanderson, so of course I had to get that as well. Libraries - dangerous places I tell you! :D

I've finished Cockroaches by Jo Nesbo - the second in the series after really enjoying the first one last year. He certainly knows how to write a good thriller.

Now starting Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell. Just a slight change of pace! But thoroughly enjoying the start of this one already.

Yes me too - Bran was lovely wasn't he!

He was - he easily could have been used a bit more in the story though. So much description of landscape, so little description of dog :giggle: He sounded like the kind of dog I'd love to have around :D

Reading The Blackhouse now and enjoying it so far - it's fascinating to see all the Gaelic in it. There's a glossary of words at the front, and I understood pretty much all of them because I know (some) Irish - but the spellings are a little different, or the spellings are the same but the pronounciations are TOTALLY different - I cannot help but pronounce everything in Irish rather than Gaelic - beag in Irish (small) is 'be-yug' but in Gaelic is 'beg', and dubh in Irish (black) is 'duv' but in Gaelic is 'doo'. I'm sure this interests nobody but me but there you go!

After several false starts, I've finally settled on Some Sing, Some Cry by Ntozake Shange and Ifa Bayeza. I'm drawn to this sweeping story because it's situated in my home town and state, the writing is lyrical and the reader is drawn into the story with little effort but you don't feel cheated, like eating a pretty confection but forgetting what it tasted like 15 minutes later.

https://www.amazon.com/Some-Sing-Cry-Novel/dp/0312552718/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487117171&sr=8-1&keywords=some+sing+some+cry

I made the mistake of going into the library with my daughter today. Whilst I was in the kids section I looked across and saw Swallows & Amazons and as I'd never read it, decided to borrow it. Then whilst I was at the automated machine, I saw another book I wanted to borrow, The Versions of Us, then turned around and saw Elantris by Brandon Sanderson, so of course I had to get that as well. Libraries - dangerous places I tell you! :D

I quite liked Elantris, I hope you do too!

My next books to read are:

The curious incident of the dog in the night time - Mark Haddon

Radiant book 2 - James Patterson

I really liked The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, I hope you enjoy it as well :).

In the past few days I've re-read Maria V. Snyder - Chronicles of Ixia 1: Study 1: Poison Study and free from the author's website I read Maria V. Snyder - Chronicles of Ixia 1: Study 1: Poison Study Chapter One Valek's POV (re-read also) and Maria V. Snyder - Chronicles of Ixia 1.5: Study 1.5: Assassin Study (not a re-read I think). I read Poison Study maybe 8 years ago and really liked it. I wasn't sure if it would be as good upon re-read, but I loved re-reading the book (more in my thread when I post my thoughts).

No worries! I definitely love them. I read a couple of Linwood Barclays, I think, on your recommendation, and really enjoyed them.

I also *really* need to finish The Trees. Thankfully it's an easy book to remember the details of, I'm just more in the mood for thrillers at the moment so even though The Trees is really great, it got put aside. I *will* finish it this week.

I really liked The Blackhouse Trilogy, and have, I think, Coffin Road here on the shelf. 

I've started several books, The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George, Assignment: Amazon Queen by Edward S. Aarons, and Watchman by Ian Rankin.  I'm thinking of digging up my copy of Hawaii and rereading it.  Some remarks over on GoodReads have inspired me. :) 

The Aarons mentioned above is part of an "Assignment:" series that I read when I was a teenager.  Reading it now I'd have to say it's a bit.....overblown, but nostalgia is a powerful thing. 

Whoops, forgot to mention that I'm also rereading Dick Francis's The Edge

I loved Dick Francis when I was in my late teens/early 20s.  I read loads of them.  :)  I might re-visit him one day.

I'm just under half way through Ashes of London by Andrew Taylor and about a third of the way through Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë - both really good.  :)