Your Book Activity - February 2017

Kylie

Ooh, we're already into the second month! Tell us about your book activity!

My local bookshop has a 20% off sale because they're going to close down for a bit to refurbish the store. So I went in yesterday and bought A Darker Shade of Magic by VE Schwab and Between Us, which is a collection of letters curated by Marieke Hardy and Michaela McGuire.

Today I've been reading Fire and Hemlock. I'm about 250 pages in.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The second month already!

I hope you enjoy your two new books :). I still have to read something by V. C. Schwab ( / Victoria Schwab).

I wasn't sure what I was in the mood to read yesterday so I'm now reading Chérie Carter-Scott - If Life is a Game, These are the Rules, which someone recommended as a self-help book. I only read one chapter last night, but the book isn't that long so it shouldn't take me too long to read it (aside from the processing of the information).

I'm still reading The Trees by Ali Shaw, about halfway through and enjoying it. Last night I also started The Last Good Day Of The Year by Jessica Warman. So far enjoying it, but some reviews I've read lead me to believe I may not continue to like it!

I also finished Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough, which was, imo, garbage. Advertised as a psychological thriller and it's not a thriller at all. It's a paranormal mystery, and the ending is literally completely unpredictable solely because the device used is not introduced til the very end of the book. Boo hiss! I had been so looking forward to it because of rave reviews, and because I loved another book by Pinborough, but this one was a disappointment.

I finished reading How to Find Love in a Book Shop by Veronica Henry, and have now picked up Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld.

You've made one Curtis Sittenfeld fan very happy! :lol:  I loved it, and I know a Jane Austen megafan who studied her at university who loved it too, so I hope I'm not just being a fan girl about it :giggle2:

I'm about two thirds of the way through Spill, Simmer, Falter, Wither now, but I'm still not sure what to make of it.  I'll keep going for now, but I think by the end it'll have turned into a marmite book.

Started and finished A Death in Sweden by Kevin Wignall, 4/5.  Good spy story.

Also have gotten about 2/3rds of the way through The Night Manager by John LeCarre.  Good stuff.

I bring my kindle to work (as it is rather less likely to get damaged in my bag than a paperback) and in an effort to increase my reading, I am trying to read that at lunchtime rather than wasting my half hour surfing random rubbish on the internet. :D Yesterday, I started Bill Bryson's A Short History of Everything, in response to reading someone's favourable review on here. :)

I'm carrying over Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie from January, as I'm still not very far in. It's super interesting, but I don't know much about Indian history, so I'm having to look up quite a few things...

On audiobook I'm currently listening to Frostbite by Richelle Mead. I'm not terribly interested in the series anymore, but I started it a few years ago and have a bit of a personal issue with starting series and not finishing them... :D Either way, they're fun to listen to in order to de-stress, so exactly the right thing for me at the moment....

I finished Fire and Hemlock by Dianna Wynne Jones last night. Today I started reading Books v Cigarettes by George Orwell (one of Penguin's Great Ideas books). Then, when I had to grab some reading material and didn't have BvC handy, I grabbed another Great Ideas book: A Tale of a Tub by Jonathan Swift. Not sure how I'll go with the latter, but the former is going well.

Had a ridiculously busy week so not much reading time, but stuck on a train today and should finish Cider With Rosie for the ECC.

Am reading some non fiction about the cocaine trade alongside. Just a slight change of pace ;)

Yesterday, I started Bill Bryson's A Short History of Everything, in response to reading someone's favourable review on here. :)

Oh, I love this book. It covers so many topics so there is bound to be something which nabs your interest. Also, he has a very approachable style to his explanations, which makes it easy to understand.

I'm halfway through The Midwife's Confession. Sooo good! So much is happening in it! With luck, I may finish it tonight. :readingtwo:

I finished Spill, Simmer, Falter, Wither (thank goodness) this afternoon, and I'm just trying to decide what to read next.  I bought Reader, I Married Him the other day, which is a collection of short stories, so I might dip in and out of that one alongside another book. :)

Ended up in the bookshop this morning and bought myself a couple of new books - Who Let The Gods Out? by Maz Evans and The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George.

Also started reading Poppy Pym and the Double Jinx as I enjoyed the first book in the series so much, I couldn't wait any longer to get going on the sequel. :)

I started The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer this morning (thanks Vodkafan! I read your post about it in the Military thread last night). I'm continuing reading Roots and I haven't abandoned 1984. I also have Sho Gun on the list for this month, probably in a week or so. 10 days probably.

And I now have 4 review's to post from January!

You've made one Curtis Sittenfeld fan very happy! :lol:  I loved it, and I know a Jane Austen megafan who studied her at university who loved it too, so I hope I'm not just being a fan girl about it :giggle2:

:lol: Me and Sittenfeld have not gelled in the past, so I really went into this book based on your recommendation :D For the first 150 pages I was looking at a 3/5 for this, now it's about 4/5. There are things in here... :D Oh boy! 

I finished Spill, Simmer, Falter, Wither (thank goodness) this afternoon, 

Did you not like it? I tried it some months ago but didn't like the unusual narrative. 

I'm currently on page 298 of Eligible, looking forward to reading more! 

Did you not like it? I tried it some months ago but didn't like the unusual narrative.

No, I didn't. :no: I'm cogitating my words for my review, but it was definitely not a book I'd go back to.

As usual, I'm terrible for reading the books I've most recently read instead of going to my TBR pile, so I started reading Who Let The Gods Out? by Maz Evans last night, after buying it yesterday morning. :roll:

I'm halfway through The Midwife's Confession. Sooo good! So much is happening in it! With luck, I may finish it tonight. :readingtwo:

I'm glad you're enjoying it (so far anyway). I look forward to read your review once you've posted it :).

I'm currently reading Keeper of the Light / Kiss River 2: Kiss River by Diane Chamberlain. It's good so far but I'm only just past page 100. I've been feeling too tired to read much.

Onto a new set of books this week, managed to do a bit of reading over the weekend which is always good.

Onto What Could Possible go Wrong by Jodi Taylor reading that one on my phone.

Dazzling by James Patterson a three part story in bookshots at work and

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho at home

All these books are so different and looking forward to them.