Peace's Reads 2017

Peacefield

Hello everyone!  I'm finally getting around to starting a book blog/thread for the new year, so here we go!  I've been busy, as usual, but tbh I've also been a bit apprehensive to start a thread because I know it will pale to everyone else's here!  Hopefully I'll still have visitors ;)

Books Read in 2016

Blood Hollow William Kent Krueger

The Diviners Libba Bray

In the Unlikely Event Judy Blume

Crimson Shore Doug Preston and Lincoln Child

Arcadia: A Novel by Iain Pears

The Asylum John Harwood

Station Eleven Emily St. John Mandel

A Place of Execution Val McDermid

Edge of the Orchard Tracy Chevalier

Lament Maggie Steifvater

The Girl on the Train Paula Hawkins

Armada Ernest Cline

Personal Demon Kelley Armstrong

Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd (first half) Alan Bradley 

See?  Isn't that sad?  13.5 books!  :lurker:  In truth, I don't have a lot of shelf space and I'm the type that buys a book and reads it right then, instead of accumulating them and picking what to read, you know?  At most I'll have one shelf dedicated to TBR books, but you never know, that may change in the near future.  Also, for the past 3 months, I've been living out of boxes and my suitcase so I haven't done a whole lot of book shopping/accumulating.

I love to read, and have loved it since making weekly library trips at a very young age.  My trouble is I love LOTS of things, hence the 1-ish book a month reading habit I have.  Maybe this thread can be mostly about books but also include a wee bit of my other minor obsessions, hmmm...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Favorite Book List (so far):

The Shining Stephen King

Count of Monte Cristo Alexandre Dumas

Circle of Friends Maeve Binchy

Instance of the Fingerpost Iain Pears

Arcadia: A Novel Iain Pears

Whom the Gods Love Kate Ross

The Lady and the Unicorn Tracy Chevalier

The Dante Club Matthew Pearl

Ordinary People Judith Guest

Close to Shore Michael Capuzzo

The Goldfinch Donna Tartt

A Tale of Two Cities Charles Dickens

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane Katherine Howe

Night Shift Stephen King

The Fountainhead Ayn Rand

The Art Spirit Robert Henri

I'm probably forgetting some, but I'll come back and add.

There!  My thread is officially open for business :D.

This past weekend when I drove to the cities, I bought Mercy Falls by William Kent Krueger and A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libbra Bray, which I'm reading now.  I read her book The Diviners last year and really enjoyed it, plus I needed something a little lighter after the two heavy-ending books I read earlier this month.

I was in the cities this weekend and looked at about 7 houses.  Of course I kept my eye out for any perfect spots for reading or my bookshelves!  Now that I'm finally getting to buy a home of my own that'll be an important feature.  Plus room for my other crafty-crafts and things.  I put an offer on one last night and will hopefully hear on Monday whether the seller will accept my offer or counter it, but I'm hoping it's the former! ;)  

Happy reading in 2017, everyone!! 

Thanks, everyone!  Sad news on the house front though, the seller refused to counter and simply would not budge on her price, so in the end I decided to bow out because I felt that the price was just too high for me.  Several sources indicated to me that the house was not worth as much as she wanted, so what can you do?

I will hopefully be going back this weekend to look about 6 other properties, and revisit one or two that I saw on my first trip.  

I read more of A Great and Terrible Beauty over the weekend and am about halfway now.  It's pretty good, but I haven't made my mind up yet if it's better than that ;).

Thanks, everyone!  Sad news on the house front though, the seller refused to counter and simply would not budge on her price, so in the end I decided to bow out because I felt that the price was just too high for me.  Several sources indicated to me that the house was not worth as much as she wanted, so what can you do?

I will hopefully be going back this weekend to look about 6 other properties, and revisit one or two that I saw on my first trip.  

Nooo ! :( Hopefully you`ll find a place which you like even more. :) 

I'm sorry to hear that :(. I hope you'll find a even better place, for an affordable price :)!

Thanks, everyone!  It's possible she may come down, Chaliepud, especially since it's been on the market since October and she hasn't budged since then.

But, I decided yesterday to put an offer on one of the first houses I looked at and deep down really loved.  It's a little further out and the town is smaller but I'm okay with it.  Fingers crossed the owner gets back to my realtor today with good news!  I'll post a photo if she does ;).  

Hi, guys, and thanks for being so kind with your good wishes!  It worked fabulously, because my offer was accepted on the house!  I'm so excited :D :D  I signed the first round of paperwork last night so next comes the inspection.  If all goes well, I'll close on the house 30th of March and can move in on that day!  

Here's a photo, and I can post more later of the inside.  

post-8818-0-34543300-1485448224_thumb.jpg

The lot it sits on is quite large, so plenty of room for Emma the Beagle.  Eventually I'll have to invest in a mower because that's a lot of grass to cut!  All I can think of right now though is relaxing on that porch swing!

Thanks, everyone!  I'm very excited :D  The house is a little over 100 years old, and luckily most of the beautiful old woodwork is still present.

Here is the dining room, with lovely columns and a built-in hutch.

post-8818-0-84029700-1485525966_thumb.jpg

This room is at the top of the stairs and while they have a bed here, this is the area I was imagining for my bookshelves and a comfy chair.

post-8818-0-59081900-1485525982_thumb.jpg

Here is a view of the front porch and the awesome swing :)

post-8818-0-98397200-1485526092_thumb.jpg