The Last Film You Saw - 2017

Athena

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't watched any films so far this year but I have made myself a promise to start watching my large supply of films.

At the end of last year I watched a classic The Bells of St Marys which I love and the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

Hardcore Henry.  The first film ever shot in First Person. So you never saw the main character's face until near the end when it was visible in a mirror. It was insane and very violent but also funny.

Just home from watching Passengers, I really liked it but should have read more reviews before I took my 11 year old son, no where near enough action for him, and in his words, it was a romance in space. After putting him through Gravity a couple of years ago he has vowed to never go to the cinema with me to watch a space film again. (Excluding Star Wars of course, and hopefully Guardians of the Galaxy 2!) :D

Just home from watching Passengers, I really liked it but should have read more reviews before I took my 11 year old son, no where near enough action for him, and in his words, it was a romance in space. After putting him through Gravity a couple of years ago he has vowed to never go to the cinema with me to watch a space film again. (Excluding Star Wars of course, and hopefully Guardians of the Galaxy 2!) :D

Haha that was funny chaliepud. In 3 years time he will probably be fascinated watching Jennifer Lawrence putting on a spacesuit....Passengers was on my list to watch but I missed it at the cinema...is it good? The trailer didn't seem to hint at much of a story...I don't mind the romance, after all The Abyss had a romance at heart. 

Edited by vodkafan

Haha that was funny chaliepud. In 3 years time he will probably be fascinated watching Jennifer Lawrence putting on a spacesuit....Passengers was on my list to watch but I missed it at the cinema...is it good? The trailer didn't seem to hint at much of a story...I don't mind the romance, after all The Abyss had a romance at heart. 

Not an amazing storyline, a romance in space pretty much sums it up, but Maddie (15) and I enjoyed it. 10 mins of tense action towards the end, more exciting than Gravity, but that wasn't hard! :D

Not an amazing storyline, a romance in space pretty much sums it up, but Maddie (15) and I enjoyed it. 10 mins of tense action towards the end, more exciting than Gravity, but that wasn't hard! :D

Thanks!

I watched another full-length Japanese anime called Appleseed which I found in a charity shop. The animation was actually CGI, so a bit like Final Fantasy in the imagery.

The story was OK.

We switched TV providers and now get a channel that plays Westerns 24/7. I am in my prime and enjoy it so much.

The last two movies I watched were The Magnificent Seven starring Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson Robert Vaughan, James Coburn, and other great actors. The other movie was Red River starring John Wayne, Montgomery Clift, Walter Brennan, and Noah Berry. I love the old Westerns. :)

I also love the TV series "Wanted Dead or Alive" starring Steve McQueen and another TV series called the Young Riders (really great).

Stuck to my plan and went to see two films today.  First up was the silent Harold Lloyd film, Hot Water, which was part of the Slapstick Festival in Bristol.  I hadn't seen this one before and it was really good!!!  There was a live piano accompaniment too, so it felt like a proper old fashioned cinema experience, and everyone in the audience clapped at the end :D

Following on from that, I saw the new film A Monster Calls which Patrick Ness adapted from his own book (based on an original idea by the late Siobhan Dowd).  It was fantastic.  The young actor who plays the lead is on screen through nearly all the live action scenes and there are some animated segments which were beautiful.  Felicity Jones is one of my favourite actors, and she was brilliant in this.  Like the book, it's a very emotive story, and I came away with three very soggy tissues, but I have to say, if I'd been on my own in the cinema, it would have been much, much more, but I managed to hold it together pretty well.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

This is how Star Wars prequels should be done, but it's not without it's faults.  Good characters, excellent effects, but a middling story.  Should have had more Vader.

Star Trek Beyond

Which is surprisingly enjoyable, once you get past the whole

rock music destroying alien invasion fleets

bit.

Batman v Superman (Extended version)

Call me a sucker for punishment, but I borrowed this off of a friend and the extended version actually makes a lot more sense than the cinema release.  It is still grim as hell, and I cannot see the DC universe ever challenging the Marvel one without a major revamp.

X-Men: Apocalypse

Poor.  Had some good bits, but a big let down after Days of Future Past, which was very good.

I watched another full-length Japanese anime called Appleseed which I found in a charity shop. The animation was actually CGI, so a bit like Final Fantasy in the imagery.

The story was OK.

I can't remember if I've seen this or not. If I have it was a long time ago.

Following on from that, I saw the new film A Monster Calls which Patrick Ness adapted from his own book (based on an original idea by the late Siobhan Dowd).  It was fantastic.  The young actor who plays the lead is on screen through nearly all the live action scenes and there are some animated segments which were beautiful.  Felicity Jones is one of my favourite actors, and she was brilliant in this.  Like the book, it's a very emotive story, and I came away with three very soggy tissues, but I have to say, if I'd been on my own in the cinema, it would have been much, much more, but I managed to hold it together pretty well.

I hope to see this some time, I'm glad to hear you liked it :).

Yesterday we watched When Marnie Was There, the newest Studio Ghibli film. It was pretty good, I liked it. I will say I didn't like the music as much as the music from earlier movies (the music of those films was done by Joe Hisaishi, this newest one I'm not sure of who did it), but the music did suit the film.