What's Up in January 2017

chesilbeach

I just had an odd experience. Sitting at my desk, thinking about getting a muffin on teabreak, and then suddenly have the urge to throw up. I didn't feel sick in my stomach, and I otherwise felt fine, I just suddenly felt like I was going to get sick. Sat there for a couple minutes trying to breathe slowly and manage the feeling, but then ran to the bathroom. There was a cleaner I know well washing the mirrors, so I really didn't want to get sick while she was in there to hear it, so I struggled for a couple more minutes to manage the feeling and then it went away. Just, gone.

I feel pretty much fine again now and am back to looking forward to my muffin! Really bizzare experience.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you're ok, Noll.  :friends3: 

Looking forward to finishing work tomorrow and getting the weekend started, although I've got an appointment booked to get my haircut tomorrow afternoon, but as ridiculous as it sounds, I'm not looking forward to it.  I hate getting my hair cut, and my last hairdresser has given it up as a career, so I'm having to go to someone new, and I've been putting it off for ages.  I think that last time I had a haircut was in 2015.  I'd honestly rather go to the doctor or dentist.  :negative: 

I've got an appointment booked to get my haircut tomorrow afternoon, but as ridiculous as it sounds, I'm not looking forward to it.  I hate getting my hair cut, and my last hairdresser has given it up as a career, so I'm having to go to someone new, and I've been putting it off for ages.  I think that last time I had a haircut was in 2015.  I'd honestly rather go to the doctor or dentist.  :negative: 

Same here!  For me, it isn't so much the process of having the haircut itself -- as horribly long as that takes -- but the small talk.  I know that the hairdresser is just wanting to be friendly, but oh ma gawd, the inanity of it.  "Are you going anywhere nice on holiday this year?"  "Are you going out this evening?"  "Do you live locally, then?"  "Are you going shopping later?"  "The weather's cold/hot/rainy today, isn't it?"  I'm so bad at small talk, and all of that just makes me want to dissolve on the floor.

So, for the past umpteen years, I've cut my own hair.  :D  I have a posh pair of salon scissors, and I snip away in front of a mirror.  I get away with it.  My hair looks fine.  (I think.)  (I hope!)   :hide:   Another bonus of that is, I save a boatload of money.  Hairdressers are expensive.  I spend the money saved on books.   :exc:

I wish I was brave enough to do that too!  I know a couple of people who cut their own hair and it looks fine, but I need layers in mine to stop it looking too much of a mess, and I don't think I could do that myself.

You're absolutely right about the small talk - my old hairdresser had got used to me and knew not to do too much of it, and would talk to me more than ask me to talk to her, if that makes sense.  I also dread that the don't listen to what I want and cut it too short.  Can't wait for it to be over.

Our new cleaner started work today for 26 hours a week, which I am delighted about. That will certainly take a load off me and free me up to start a lot more of the management tasks rather than having to rush around getting all the cleaning done. He is going to work with me tomorrow, and our gardener who has been helping us out with cleaning on Monday. I am just so happy to finally have some permanent help that I will be able to rely on.  

I just had an odd experience. Sitting at my desk, thinking about getting a muffin on teabreak, and then suddenly have the urge to throw up. I didn't feel sick in my stomach, and I otherwise felt fine, I just suddenly felt like I was going to get sick. Sat there for a couple minutes trying to breathe slowly and manage the feeling, but then ran to the bathroom. There was a cleaner I know well washing the mirrors, so I really didn't want to get sick while she was in there to hear it, so I struggled for a couple more minutes to manage the feeling and then it went away. Just, gone.

I feel pretty much fine again now and am back to looking forward to my muffin! Really bizzare experience.

I've felt quite sick recently .. I think it's a bug. I'd be fine for most of the day and then feel really queasy for seemingly no reason. 

It's gone now :) Hope you're feeling better too Noll :hug: 

Good luck with the haircut Claire  :flowers2: Hope it goes alright. I don't go either .. ever. Al does mine (not well but still) I can't face it. I'm not anti social as I hope you know but I find the whole thing torturous .. just the sitting and chatting and then the haircut is often awful (I'm not helping am I? :D)  I haven't been in ten years or more and I'm not going .. you can't make me!  :D I would need an anaesthetic :lol: 

You can always wear a hat :D;) xx

Hope everyone is feeling well and not too cold!

Good luck with the haircut Claire, I have a friend that does mine which is lovely as we have kids, dogs in common so always something to talk about!

So tired today, took Maddie and friends to a concert at Shepherd's Bush last night and didn't get to bed till 1am, up at 6 for dog walking and work, it's going to be a loooong day!

Edited by chaliepud

I'm sorry you felt bad :(. That's happened to me before too (several times actually), though I think in my case it could be related to my medication.

I hope it won't come back! 

Looking forward to finishing work tomorrow and getting the weekend started, although I've got an appointment booked to get my haircut tomorrow afternoon, but as ridiculous as it sounds, I'm not looking forward to it.  I hate getting my hair cut, and my last hairdresser has given it up as a career, so I'm having to go to someone new, and I've been putting it off for ages.  I think that last time I had a haircut was in 2015.  I'd honestly rather go to the doctor or dentist.  :negative: 

Good luck with going to the hairdressers! I hope it will go okay :hug:. I can imagine it's even more difficult going to someone new.

When I was a little girl, my mum took me to the hairdressers to get my hair cut. I hated it so much she ended up taking me home - with one side long hair and the other short. My mum decided to cut my hair herself. I've never been to a hairdressers for myself again. I like to wear my hair long, so it's only the split ends that have to be cut off every once in a while. I couldn't stand a stranger touching my hair. And I don't like small talk with strangers either (even talking to a stranger for a few minutes with small talk would tire me a lot).

So, for the past umpteen years, I've cut my own hair.   :D  I have a posh pair of salon scissors, and I snip away in front of a mirror.  I get away with it.  My hair looks fine.  (I think.)  (I hope!)   :hide:   Another bonus of that is, I save a boatload of money.  Hairdressers are expensive.  I spend the money saved on books.   :exc:

That sounds like an excellent idea :D. I agree that hairdressers are expensive, though depending on what you need you could consider it worth the money if it's something you can't do yourself (or a partner etc). But I love the idea of spending the money on books instead. 

Our new cleaner started work today for 26 hours a week, which I am delighted about. That will certainly take a load off me and free me up to start a lot more of the management tasks rather than having to rush around getting all the cleaning done. He is going to work with me tomorrow, and our gardener who has been helping us out with cleaning on Monday. I am just so happy to finally have some permanent help that I will be able to rely on.

That sounds nice :)

I've felt quite sick recently .. I think it's a bug. I'd be fine for most of the day and then feel really queasy for seemingly no reason. 

I hope it won't come back!

So tired today, took Maddie and friends to a concert at Shepherd's Bush last night and didn't get to bed till 1am, up at 6 for dog walking and work, it's going to be a loooong day!

I hope you can sleep a bit more maybe in the weekend :).

The hairdressers went as well as can be expected!  It feels great to have my fringe back and all the wispy ends cut off.  I got about three inches cut off in the end, so not too bad.  I've even bit the bullet and booked then next appointment too, but at least it's over with for a couple of months. :D

Not much planned for the weekend, a trip into town, then on to the quilting shop, and hopefully some sewing for tomorrow.  Might try and go out on Sunday, but haven't decided yet.

It's gone now :)

I had the same thing a few days ago - it seems to be doing the rounds with a lot of people I know. It does pass though after a day or so. I am glad it has for you and hope it doesn't come back.

That sounds nice :)

After the last cleaner we had, it was very nice indeed. I spent the day with him today showing him the ropes of the various areas that I clean and we got on really well. He seems to be everything the last cleaner was not, which definitely has to be a good thing. It's just a shame he can't work full time as he has another job in a pub. He has to keep this job as he also lives in the pub, but that's the way it is. We have another guy coming in for an interview on Monday who also wants to work part time, so it is possible that we may be able to arrange a job share and split the hours we have between them, which would be good.

I am glad to be finished though for the weekend. I don't have any specific plans beyond the fish and chips that Coran has just gone out to get. :smile: 

The hairdressers went as well as can be expected!  It feels great to have my fringe back and all the wispy ends cut off.  I got about three inches cut off in the end, so not too bad.  I've even bit the bullet and booked then next appointment too, but at least it's over with for a couple of months. :D

Not much planned for the weekend, a trip into town, then on to the quilting shop, and hopefully some sewing for tomorrow.  Might try and go out on Sunday, but haven't decided yet.

I'm glad the appointment went okay :). I hope you have a nice Sunday.

After the last cleaner we had, it was very nice indeed. I spent the day with him today showing him the ropes of the various areas that I clean and we got on really well. He seems to be everything the last cleaner was not, which definitely has to be a good thing. It's just a shame he can't work full time as he has another job in a pub. He has to keep this job as he also lives in the pub, but that's the way it is. We have another guy coming in for an interview on Monday who also wants to work part time, so it is possible that we may be able to arrange a job share and split the hours we have between them, which would be good.

I am glad to be finished though for the weekend. I don't have any specific plans beyond the fish and chips that Coran has just gone out to get. :smile:

That sounds like a nice plan. I hope you have a nice Sunday :).

Today my boyfriend and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary.

OH has decided to put some sort of coating on the hanging baskets in preparation for putting them out in spring, but it needs four coats and smells like really strong nail varnish, and is stinking out the place. Therefore, I've upsticks and relocated to the café where I've just had a delicious brunch of portabello mushrooms on toast, a coffee and a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice. I'm going to move onto a coffee shop and waste another couple of hours until the smell has had chance to dissipate, and then I'm going to put my feet up for the afternoon with a book. :)

Sounds like a sensible idea to me, Claire! :lol:

Strange weekend for me so far. Went out for lunch with the girlfriend yesterday as she was going out with some work friends during the evening and I wouldn't be seeing her. It was nice but I've really been suffering this week with some horrible, splitting headaches. They come over me all of a sudden and nothing will help, not even painkillers. Think I might need to book in for the opticians, as something definitely isn't right... :negative:

Spent Sunday morning with my book and the tennis, and now I'm not sure what to do as my head is leaving me just wanting to sit in a dark room and do nothing. Will probably try flick through a book before the football later, but we'll see.

OH has decided to put some sort of coating on the hanging baskets in preparation for putting them out in spring, but it needs four coats and smells like really strong nail varnish, and is stinking out the place. Therefore, I've upsticks and relocated to the café where I've just had a delicious brunch of portabello mushrooms on toast, a coffee and a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice. I'm going to move onto a coffee shop and waste another couple of hours until the smell has had chance to dissipate, and then I'm going to put my feet up for the afternoon with a book. :)

I'm glad you had a nice time being out, I can imagine the smell can't have been pleasant. 

Strange weekend for me so far. Went out for lunch with the girlfriend yesterday as she was going out with some work friends during the evening and I wouldn't be seeing her. It was nice but I've really been suffering this week with some horrible, splitting headaches. They come over me all of a sudden and nothing will help, not even painkillers. Think I might need to book in for the opticians, as something definitely isn't right... :negative:

Spent Sunday morning with my book and the tennis, and now I'm not sure what to do as my head is leaving me just wanting to sit in a dark room and do nothing. Will probably try flick through a book before the football later, but we'll see.

I hope you find a cause and solution for your headaches :(.

Yesterday my boyfriend and I celebrated our 10th anniversary. We had a great day together, the best day I've had in a little while. We made home-made pizza. It took a while, but it was worth it as it was delicious. Yes, the day was tiring for me (to play a video game for example and to watch a movie and TV show), but it was lots of fun and that fun is worth the tiredness for me.

10 years - that's worth celebrating Gaia. I am really glad that you enjoyed your time together and hope you have many more years to come.

I had a very quiet day at work today with not much to report.  

10 years - that's worth celebrating Gaia. I am really glad that you enjoyed your time together and hope you have many more years to come.

I had a very quiet day at work today with not much to report.

Sometimes it can be nice to have a quieter day, especially after all you've been through the past while :).

Sadly it didn't last for long. One of my team members didn't show up for work today and didn't call to let me know why. I tried to call him all morning but his phone was switched off. I finally got an answer at about 12.30pm when he informed me that he had a bad night and someone at work had upset him yesterday. He has a history of thinking that other people are talking about him and has been disciplined for challenging them on this when they haven't done anything at all. Whatever he imagines someone has said is obviously serious enough to be keeping him awake at night and affecting his work. It is clear to me then that I need to have a long talk with him tomorrow, which I cannot say I am looking forward to.

Sick again. Ugh. Might have to go to doctor again, few people I know who've been as ill as this with recurring colds have had bacterial infections too and wound up on antibiotics or steroids and I may need the same. (Previous doc in December said I was fine, just keep taking inhalers. Have a new doc now.)

Otherwise, things are pretty good. Took a day off sick today (I emailed in! I too would be in trouble if I didn't do so!) and not looking forward to going in tomorrow coz I always feel guilty, but it'll be fine. I haven't checked my emails all day, which is a really good example of how my anti-depressants are helping with my anxiety. Previously with sick days I'd be panicky and checking my emails until I got a reply from my manager saying it was okay, and if they were blunt at all I'd be worrying all day. Now I'm like 'pfft, I'm entitled to sick leave, I'll deal with the response tomorrow.' :D

If I didn't turn up for job, and didn't call in, I'd be sacked!

A lot of companies would do that yes. I have managed to sort it out today though. He says he had an upset stomach and had his phone switched off because he spent most of the morning on the toilet. You cannot accuse people of lying and have to take their word for it - he does have a history of these sort of problems, so it is probably true. He is already on a final warning for other unrelated issues (from before I got this promotion), so if there is another disciplinary it is basically goodnight Vienna. We have then agreed to issue a letter of concern setting out what was said and discussed, and stating that if there is recurrence then it will be disciplinary.

This management lark can be stressful at times, but I suppose I signed up for it, knowing it would entail all this stuff.

On a happier note I went to see another opera last night - another one of those live feeds from the Royal Opera House at Covent Garden. This time it was Il Travotore (translated as The Troubadour) and it was fantastic. It had everything - a blood feud, a love triangle, a civil war and of course fantastic singing. The soprano lead in particular was just brilliant - such emotion and such fantastic acting - opera is acting as well as singing. We are going to see The Bolshoi dance Swan Lake at the weekend, and I am really looking forward to that one too.

Edited by Talisman