Your Book Activity - November 2016

Kylie

I think we had two alternatives for Isle of Wight - Wyndham and England England by Julian Barnes. I hadn't decided between the two but your recommendation for the former will likely swing it!

Yes we did.  In fact, England, England was my suggestion originally.  It's had mixed reviews.

Another well-known book that features (briefly) the Isle of Wight is Moonfleet.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm so so sorry Anna, may he rest in peace.

The Rainbow Bridge

inspired by a Norse legend

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,

Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.

Where the friends of man and woman do run,

When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,

Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.

On this golden land, they wait and they play,

Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,

For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.

Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,

Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,

Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.

All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,

Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;

Together again, both person and pet.

So they run to each other, these friends from long past,

The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,

Has turned into joy once more in each heart.

They embrace with a love that will last forever,

And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.

© 1998 Steve and Diane Bodofsky. All Rights Reserved.

He passed away tonight at 20:10. Thank you for all your nice thoughts.

I'm so, so sorry :( :(. I know he meant the world to you :friends0:.

I just gave him a cuddle. He loved it. :D He was supposed to have his stitches out today, but because he was too wiggly and they are in an awkward place the vet has suggested leaving them to dissolve. :o If I'm brave, I may try to take them out later, as I don't like the thought of them still in there. :hide:

I'm glad he is okay :)!

I'm now reading Reamde by Neal Stephenson. Accoording to Amazon, I bought it on Christmas Day in 2012. :thud: I haven't read any of his books before, but have heard they aren't that easy to digest. This one seems ok so far, but I'm only 4% in.

I have this on my TBR, I bought it in a whim a couple of years ago. I look forward to hear what you think of it.

I have just finished Watership Down for Hampshire. A slow start but after that, thoroughly enjoyable. Good four star read, which I was not expecting after 50 pages!

I'm glad you enjoyed this book, it's on my TBR.

Anna, so sorry to hear about your pup. Ours got cancer (well, a second kind, after a benign first kind) last year, which saw her to her end. First dog I've ever had to say goodbye to. Hope your pup lives as long and as fully as possible in the remaining time.

I finished a book! I actually finished a book! I think the novelty of cross-stitch is finally wearing off - while I still want to do it, I might now balance my time better across reading, too. Gonna start Michelle Paver's Thin Air, next.

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog :(.

Well done on finishing a book :)!

I'm so so sorry Anna, may he rest in peace.

The Rainbow Bridge

inspired by a Norse legend

[...]

That's such a nice poem, I got all teary-eyed.

Sorry to hear about your dog too, Anna. May I ask what breed he was?

I have had a good reading month so far. I have read 5 books with only one 1 star rating. Which is actually above average for me.

My favourite so far has been A Study In Scarlet.

He was a Kerry Blue Terrier. I'm such a mess.

I'm going to try to read today, although I've been crying a lot and it's hard to focus. I tried starting The Cold Dish (The Walt Longmire Mysteries), but I'm also trying to read Leave Me by Gayle Forman.

Edited by Anna Begins

Chaliepud- That's beautiful and comforting. I heard a story about a man who died and his dog was waiting for him. He had a choice of where to spend eternity, one place was a gorgeous house, wide green lawn, flowers, who thing- but his dog could not live there. The man turned it down because he couldn't live without his dog. Then he came to a shabby house with a bare yard, but he could live with his dog. He picked that place and it became beautiful, for he had proved what kind of person he was.

Chaliepud- That's beautiful and comforting. I heard a story about a man who died and his dog was waiting for him. He had a choice of where to spend eternity, one place was a gorgeous house, wide green lawn, flowers, who thing- but his dog could not live there. The man turned it down because he couldn't live without his dog. Then he came to a shabby house with a bare yard, but he could live with his dog. He picked that place and it became beautiful, for he had proved what kind of person he was.

Oh Anna, that is a lovely story and reminds me of the homeless people that prefer to stay homeless rather than go into accommodation that won't accept their dogs. :(

It will take a long while but eventually you won't feel quite so devastated and you will find it easier to remember the good times. Sending lots of hugs.

Reading wise I have just finished When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit by Judith Kerr, it wasn't at all what I was expecting, I thought it dealt with events in WWII but it was all preceding the war.

He was a Kerry Blue Terrier. I'm such a mess.

I'm going to try to read today, although I've been crying a lot and it's hard to focus. I tried starting The Cold Dish (The Walt Longmire Mysteries), but I'm also trying to read Leave Me by Gayle Forman.

How beautiful! I do hope it gets easier for you.

Read a James Patterson Bookshot over the weekend French Kiss.  Just started Bullseye by James Patterson this is a Michael Bennett story.  At work brought in my first Christmas book Christmas at the Cat Café by Melissa Daley.

I have recently read:

The Lottery - Shirley Jackson 2/5 (I just thought it was really obvious from what other people have said about it?)

The Wonder - Emma Donoghue 4/5

Murder At the Old Vicarage - Jill McGown - 3/5

Haven't written reviews yet.

Currently reading Into The Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes and so far it is SO MUCH better than the other book I read by her, Never Alone.

Has anybody read Danielle Steel before? I am reading Sisters at the moment.

I am on chapter six and she has managed to tell me the same things she told me in previous chapters about the girls (I think in case I the reader forgets) over and over again. Are all her books like this?

I've read a couple of Zadie Smith books. I loved White Teeth but hated NW (couldn't even finish it). She seems to get many mixed reviews. If you look on Amazon, the reviews on her books are all equally spread across all the ratings which is pretty unusual. Maybe you could borrow one of her books first to see if you like her style?

What is this TWoT you speak of?  It can't be 'total waste of time', I don't think!  :giggle2:

I'm reading Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs.  It's great, but I haven't got much time to read so I'm not even a third of the way through yet and I've been reading it nearly two weeks.  :rolleyes: